zoom zoom BOOM - Carnage pics added!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
marcdh

zoom zoom BOOM - Carnage pics added!

Post by marcdh »

Hey guys,

Was out for lunch, hit maybe 6500 in 1st gear, then bam! sounded like a tractor.

At first I thought my timing belt has slipped a few teeth. So I tried adjusting my adjustable cam pulley, and managed to get it to idle, though noticed the rear cam was very stiff. It still sounds like a tractor. The rear cam sprocket is bouncing up and down. I think something may well be destroyed in the rear head :( I've had a ticking for a while, assumed it was stuck HLA, maybe somethings really gone.

Any guesses? I'm going to get my Dad to tow it home tonight after work.

Pretty gutted,
Marc

EDIT VIDEO ADDED:
Youtube Video

It's hard to see, but the rear cam is bouncing around as if it's not tightened, but it really is.
Last edited by marcdh on October 23rd, 2009, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
wytbishop

Re: zoom zoom BOOM? - help please :(

Post by wytbishop »

sounds pretty clearly like a broken camshaft. Didn't you have a camshaft that was damaged in transit and repaired? Could it be that same shaft?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ironically that one was actually the front bank intake cam with broken balancing lobe, the front intake cam had the scores that were metal welded. So the back ones were actually in the best condition! Sounds like these cams were set to fail. This is my second set of cams too :( The kl01 sprocket pin bent, now this!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Hey man dont give up and keep at it :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

Sounds like a dropped valve. Take the engine's compression pressure.
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

A dropped valve would not account for the wobbly cam gear. Unless breaking the valve caused the camshaft to snap. Won't know until the lid is off.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

In an entirely insensitive manner, I'm quite excited to see what happened.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Ryan wrote:In an entirely insensitive manner, I'm quite excited to see what happened.
ya me too.

its not really misfiring tho, you would think with a broken camshaft it would miss fire.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Well think about it.

It must have broken between the end journal and the 1st journal, or the pully wouldn't wobble. So two pistons have valves stuck at a position, any position. I'm just breakin into the v6's... the pully is coaxial with the intake cam on the rear bank? So a pistion could easily be firing out of the intake, making all that racket. Nevermind the broken cam grinding against itself, and all that metal crap that is being washed around the motor, and the misbalance, and the cam gears (inside the head) seeing damage from the one wobbling, and the engine not seeing the regular balance from the power stroke, because there is no compression in at least one of the 3 rear cyls...

Or maybe the cam broke elsewhere, just after the internal gear?

I'm just excited.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Ryan I think you're turning it into a bigger thing than it really is :lol:

How'd you start the car without pushing the clutch?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Damn sorry to hear mate.

Let us know what you find. Fingers crossed you can get away with not replacing the engine!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

hgallegos915 wrote:Hey man dont give up and keep at it :D
Thanks Hector, I will one way or another!
JM1EC-V6 wrote:Sounds like a dropped valve. Take the engine's compression pressure.
To be honest I'll probably take the valve cover off first, just turning it over makes me cringe. I'd be surprised if the interprep setup let a valve go after just 10k miles at that RPM.
Ryan wrote:In an entirely insensitive manner, I'm quite excited to see what happened.
haha yes so am I.
projectzemx3 wrote: its not really misfiring tho, you would think with a broken camshaft it would miss fire.
It was missfiring horrifically, it's hard to hear amongst the other racket.
RX8SE3P wrote:Damn sorry to hear mate.
Let us know what you find. Fingers crossed you can get away with not replacing the engine!
Thanks. I don't care much about the bottom end, its the kl31 1a1 heads I invested time in: kl31 cams, port and polish exhaust ports, knife edge intake ports, removing cast marks, lapping valves, interprep springs etc... But pretty damn sure the heads are the problem!
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Ryan I think you're turning it into a bigger thing than it really is :lol:
How'd you start the car without pushing the clutch?
Clutch is fine, not sure what you mean?

Teardown shall begin today after work, lot's of pics to follow, if there's carnage worth photographing!
View Worklog
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Today I got stuck into the teardown...

Got the intake manifold off and saw this:
Oil lying on top of the valves.. only on the rear head. So I was think hmmm, blown head gasket?

Then I took off the cover, and noticed an alignment issue:

Next I noticed a bloody big cracked in half camshaft!

I think it's also no coincidence that the cam cap at the crack point felt quite loose. So looks like in my 3rd cam overhaul I may have messed up big time. Either that or the bolts worked loose, I'm so meticulous, yet I remember rushing that job to get to work etc the next day :( Mind you it's been ticky but fine for 5000+miles!

So that is the exact cam that the sprocket pin failed on with my kl01s, so I'm all outta cams! Damage to the head and caps seems minimal and negligable. I'm a bit concerned why all that oil was lying on the valves, why would that oil be sitting up there?
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:crying: I'm sorry to read about that. Your car is one of my all-time favorites.
I have a set of KL31s with one damaged in transport that I can sell you cheap. Hopefully the damaged one isn't the one you need. I can send you a couple pics if you're interested.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ahh thanks man that would be fantastic! I've got to make sure the rest of the engine is salvageable first before I commit though. But If you could check if you have the rear intake cam in one piece that'd be lovely.

I'm worried most about why all that oil is sitting there on top of the valves :?
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”