Cluster/Speedo Rings

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
bluechro

Cluster/Speedo Rings

Post by bluechro »

I've been looking for something to do to my cluster, but I'm really not a fan of the glow gauges. I've ordered some high intensity LED's which I plan on wiring in, but I also found this post. I love the look of those rings. He says he got his from ebay (here) but I would imagine this wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. Has anybody tried anything like this? I've spent hours and hours (way too many, actually) looking around on this site, and I haven't seen anything like it. Anybody?

Does anybody have any idea how those even stick on to the cluster?
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Re: Cluster/Speedo Rings

Post by Jovian2k »

May be able to fabricate, but these rings are perfect fit and require very little time to install. They fit in to the border of the gauges nicely, but they do not stay. I had to use a bit of super glue to get them to stay properly. keep your eye on eBay listed under that international seller, they are a very nice, tasteful upgrade :)
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Day after tomorrow, I will get into my car with some calipers and paper, draft up some sort of schematic, machine it out of plexi or aluminum, and depending on my fastening options... decide to glue it, or find/make a clip system. I'll post again on weds/thurs.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

Definitely love the look. Is there anybody else on ebay with them? As much as I love the tasteful, I love the cheap even more.

Ryan - according to the ebay site, the rings are 8.0 and 9.5cm diameter if that helps you at all... If they work out, I'd be more than willing to pay you for a set. :D If it was me, I would make them a tad taller than the ones over at ebay, and possibly slope so they're taller at the top than the bottom. But that's just me haha. Definately let me know what you come up with. :D
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Do you know if that is inside or outside diameters?

Okay, I've written programs that work relatively well. Should I make a thread on custom orders?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

Doesn't specify, but I would imagine that's outside diameter.

If other people are interested, go ahead. How much do you see these costing?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I would be down for a set... I think it would look nice in my slow car to match the other aluminum accents.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

depending on where I can get materials, probably just the shipping.... or you could chuck in a few bucks to the site.

Edit - my lazy program so far

Edit - (I edit because I am post happy)

Okay, I've decided, shoot me a PM with what you want, prefered thicknesses, i believe aluminum will be my best bet, I've got an in on (hopefully) free materials tomorrow at 10:00a.m. ish. Um... maybe a section of it, if you want it sloped instead of square, or maybe you want it rounded on top.... anything you can think of, i'll let you know what I can do. Also, tonight i'll measure the guages for sure, know the distance between the needle tip and inside of the guage, and space between the guages.... I think all our clusters are the same?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I'm down for a set :love:
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

could just buy it now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mazda-323-MX3-90-94 ... m153.l1262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

even though you talk about doing it just for the price of shipping you may want to clear this with Jeff before proceeding because this could turn into a "group buy"....
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

ALL sales, unless a one-off personal property, must be OK'd by Jeff. Selling products for personal gain is prohibited and will lead to banishment. Please email Jeff @ phpbb@mx-3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

So I e-mailed our friend Jeff, there....

I got into my cluster today, and mauled it pretty good trying to wedge my caliper in there. Got the measurements though :) If I AM allowed to distribute these, I won't charge anything but shipping... and depending whether i'm allowed, and maybe a tiny bit to offset the materials cost (if need be) versus $35 + shipping from ebay...
They should be relatively perfect.... the router i'm using is good to 1/4000 of an inch....
On another note, does anyone know how to actually remove the cluster? I think my speedo cable is holding it back... I searched, and I got somethign about reaching my hand in behind to unclip it. Unless you're a barbie or can change your bone structure, there is no way to get your hand back there. I don't need to know, I'm just curious.

Edit - someone with a spare cluster lying around, wanna help me out?

I need measurements... mine don't match up after drafting.
I need.... space between centres of RPM and speedo
Smallest space between outermost edges of speedo and RPM. They are chamfered, I want the measurement from the point where it becomes level to the face, not the measurement between the edges of the paper with the numbers on it...
and to double check the others, diameter of paper peices of both RPM and speedo
diameter of outermost edges on both speedo and RMP and if you're super talented, the depth of the plastic, and the depth to the bottom edge of the chamfer.
Thanks. I hate measuring it while its in the car. :evil:

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
bluechro

Post by bluechro »

The cluster really isn't too hard to get out.. The space isn't the greatest and you definitely have to do it by feel, but its not too difficult. If you remove the dash and the steering column cover, you can get it out far enough to stick a hand back there. If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow afternoon when I'm home from school, I'll take mine out and try to get the measurements you need. But by your description below, I really have no idea what your looking for. Could you make a little clearer, or even draw out a nice little diagram in paint showing what you need?

Edit - on a second thought. Why don't I just grab the cluster, stick it in my scanner, and send the picture to you? Seems ridiculously simple, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

One step better :)
The whole thing... oh and i forgot to ask for diameter of speedo. dope. inside and out!
Close up of what I want - the space between guages
side view of tach, showing chamfer. i would like measurements of the inside and outside edges of the chamfer for both speedo and tach. I believe the difference should be 2mm between inside edge and furthest out edge of the chamfer...

oh, and space between needles and inside edges?

If you still don't get it... then.... idk.
And to anyone who realizes how poorly done that is, I really do know better, but I'm lazy :)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Appearance”