Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
navymx3
antispam: No

Re: Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

Post by navymx3 »

Haha, yea I know, but thats for all the labor and everything, I know...friggin stupid...anyone wanna help me with this? is there a way to take off and replace the water pump without taking off the timing belt? like, keep the belt under high tension, but swapping out the pumps?
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

oh i didnt know it was a 6 cyl lol. but yea try and find a friend oyu know or soemthing that is good with working on cars and take a day and fix it. by the end of it you will probly only end up spending 350- 400.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

why 350-400? what could possibly cost that much? the water pump is only 75$, and a new serp. & timeing belt is only like 120$.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

i was including your wheel bearings. so wit h120 and 75 and well my price i had 60 each for the bearings and than coolant aswell. litle over 300.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

ahh mk. well do you know anyone around me that might be able to help? because im getting another car, thats more reliable, and ill use this car as a project car :D So i can really supe it up, and get it nice :D
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I've replaced the water pump in my previous MX3, V6 without taking the timing belt off. Also, I've replaced the timing belt and water pump on my current V6 with the engine still in the car. If you have any questions or anything as far as doing the work, I could help.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

dude that would be aweslome if you could help. i dont work tomorrow so i could spend all day on the car :D if you could provide very detailed instructions on what to do, that would be amazing :D
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Why are you not replacing timing belt. You're already in there and its recommended to do it at the same time. If your timing belt goes your engine is screwed.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

because if i take off the timing belt, idk how to get the right timing...i cant afford a timing light, those are like 80$ or more. So if i can do this without taking off or effin up my timing, that would be best.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

that's why you need to get someone who know's what they're doing. Look at it this way...you're not going to tell your timing belt " I can't replace you cause I can't afford timing light" It snaps - it snaps, it won't ask you when you're comfortable replacing it. Find a do-it-at-home guy and i'm sure you can get it fixed for a fraction of a price.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
davmac

Post by davmac »

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been suggested.
No timing light is necessary if the car is running good you only need to replace the timing belt and water pump.

Tip for replacing the timing belt: Assuming the existing timing belt is intact move the crank to top dead center (line up the camshaft gear marks with the marks on the cylinder head and timing back plate).
Use a paint pen to mark the timing belt at each camshaft and mark the crankshaft and make a matching mark on the timing belt.
Transfer these marks from the old to the new timing belt.
Now all you need to do is match the timing belt with the marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. Of course you need to be sure the marks align with matching marks on the cylinder head and timing back plate.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I would def recommend doing the timing belt as well. Everyone doesn't mention this just because... I can speak from experience that it is an absolute b**** to rip everything down in order to access the water pump. Your hands WILL be sore and potentially bloody due to the lack of space.

You really only need a solid day to do it all.

-Take off all accessory belts, and tensioners.
-remove power steering pulley
-Support the engine from under it and remove the top drivers side engine mount.
-Remove timing cover (this will allow you to view the timing belt and water pump)
**you should be able to access the bolts to remove the water pump and re-install at this point if you do not wish to replace the timing belt; then just reassemble in reverse order**

For timing belt replacement:
-Move crank pulley to Top Dead Center (or TDC)
-Make sure timing marks are lined up on both front and rear cylinder heads
-Mark timing marks on cam gears and cylinder heads for re-alignment purposes
-Remove crank pulley
-Remove hydraulic tensioner.
-Remove timing belt.
-Compress hydraulic tensioner and insert a cotter pin to hold it in place
-Refer to FAQ page for installation order of the timing belt.

-Reinstall everything in reverse order and start her up!

This is a very basic guide but gives you an idea of what to do. There is a more detailed explanation if you use the search button or just read the FAQ's.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If your doing the pump do the belt. The work to replace the pump and your already there so to not replace the belt makes no sense. Have a look at the timeng belt adjuster as well. If it's leaking fluid (even a tiny amount) replace it. Most garages charge $550 - $600 in labour just to do the timing belt because of the time involved. Buy a NEW pump not rebuilt and good luck. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

In the V6 FAQ...who would have thought...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

wytbishop wrote:In the V6 FAQ...who would have thought...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just had some time to help the guy out. I knew that the walkthrough was there since I've used it several times. Wasn't too much trouble to type out the basic steps in doing it. At least now when someone searches and sees this thread, they'll still be directed to the FAQ.

Assuming they USE the search function that is :?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”