Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
navymx3
antispam: No

Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

Post by navymx3 »

Alright, today I replaced the busted PCV valve hose I used to replace my old coolant hose, with a real, high pressure/temp flex hose.
That solved my main coolant leak problem. But now, I have another leak, on the left side of my engine, by my belts. Its a steady drip once my engine is running and I cant find where its dripping from.
I jacked up the car and its dripping off the side of the oil pan. What is around there that might be leaking? because im taking the car to pepboys tomorrow, so if I can tell them exactly where its leaking, that would shorten the labor time and costs. Thanks guys.
93 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 24V 5 Speed
TMP39

Re: Coolant Leak..Cant find the source.

Post by TMP39 »

probly your water pump leaking.....
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I was thinking that, but why would my water pump suddenly start leaking right after I fixed the busted coolant line on my IAC?
Also, i checked my vaccuum lines near the IM, and I cant find any that are disconnected, but my car still has a rolling idle :( What else could be the problem? And I didnt check the workshop manuel, and I did everything it said, and its still doing that...any help?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

leaks over belt area are usually W/P. (waterpump) Although probably unrelated, it could stem from losing a bunch of coolant for a bit.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

doesny matter if the pump is brand new reman'ed or the original they can go regardless. if you had it done once before it could be a faulty waterpump. it happens. just to be safe until you actually find out what it is dont go on long trips or else you may end up doing a head gasket which would suck even more. as far as i know your able to buy a die which can be put in your coolant and you run the car and with a blck light you can find the leak.

also fixing another leak there may have been a bit of buil up in a line you wer working on and went through the system to the water pump.
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

Is a coolant dye available at autozone or anything?
I havent done anything with the waterpump since i got the car almost 5 months ago. And why would it suddenly start leaking randomly after fixing the IAC cooant line? Is that normal? lol
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Its probably unrelated. We said that already. But they do randomly go.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

Ryan wrote:Its probably unrelated.
it might just be because he didnt use the proper hose to fix thge leak the first time. and ll the pressure in the system was being put out at that spot and since now he has the proper high pressure hose its putting pressure on his waterpump
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

Ok, so how do you think i should get the pressure to where it should be to fix the problem? You think too much pressure in the water pump could cause it to leak this bad?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

TMP39 wrote:
Ryan wrote:Its probably unrelated.
it might just be because he didnt use the proper hose to fix thge leak the first time. and ll the pressure in the system was being put out at that spot and since now he has the proper high pressure hose its putting pressure on his waterpump
ummm, no. Water pump doesn't just start leaking cause you fix other things on your car. lol
Best thing is to jack it up and see where it's leaking from. Also check your oil cooler, that line that goes to it might be leaking. Mine was and I was loosing coolant very slowly.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

I did jack it up, and its dripping on the edge of the oil pan...so thats why i figured it was comming from my belts area. So, you guys think its my water pump? is that an expensive fix?
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

price of the pump when i priced it otu yesterday up here was 72.xx and i know my work does 80 an hour for labour and since theres still bleeding the system and that after... coouple hundred at that off the top of my head. but if you know a good friend that would be willing to do it for a case of beer than.....
navymx3

Post by navymx3 »

well from what I read, bleeding the system doesnt take very long, is there anyway to clean out the water pump without having to buy a new one? I would think there was.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

you cant just clean out the water pump to fix it, it has to be replaced. and yes on average it doesnt take long to bleed it but some places will say it does because they have to make sure verything still works after. but yo uwill be into a bit of money haveing the job done. and ther realyl is no quick fix to it
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

navymx3 wrote:I did jack it up, and its dripping on the edge of the oil pan...so thats why i figured it was comming from my belts area. So, you guys think its my water pump? is that an expensive fix?
trace it upwards and see if it's really coming from water pump
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”