Intercooler + piping setup for my BP

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Intercooler + piping setup for my BP

Post by Jovian2k »

I will be turbo-ing by BP with stock GTX VJ20... am planning it out and wondering if anyone has had any suggestions for what intercooler and piping setup to use. I know space is limiting factor and since I am planning to run stock gtx injectors and gtx bp26 ECU I was wondering if another OEM setup would work such as Mazdaspeed protege intercooler and piping (considering similar engine compartment and setup). Was considering Mazdaspeed Miata setup as well but figured the 90 degree rotation of the engine would make things less likely to line up. Anyone try this or have any opinions?

Kit:

MSP engine bay:

My engine bay:
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Intercooler + piping setup for my BP

Post by RobMinhas »

I don't think there are any kits that would bolt up to the BP but you could use a side mount intercooler from a GTX with the GTX piping.

Or you could do what most others do and add a FMIC and just cut two tools(Just by where your air filter is sitting and the opposite side) then run the pipes through and around, I don't recommend running piping under the rad though.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

I know plastic piping is not ideal absorbing engine heat and such, and intercooler is small... would I be better off getting universal eBay kit with 2.25 or 2.5 inch piping such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-BLUE-UNIV ... 04&vxp=mtr

Thoughts?
Worklog
For Sale Thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

People either do that or buy mandrel bent piping instead, which usually costs more.

One of those kits should be able to get you done up good and I guess an intercooler is an intercooler so I wouldn't worry about quality of it, just do the routing right.

And do you need a BP26 ecu? 'Cause I'm selling one :D
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

My suggestion is stick with stock side mount unless you are going to go to a bigger turbo other wise you will easily hit the notorious GTX ECU fuel cut!! Speaking from experience! But that is if you are changing your downpipe as well!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Rob - will let you know, am in the planning stage of my turbo project, may be buying items in next couple of months

Tavman - can you explain the fuel cut? Why would it occur with the larger piping/intercooler? I know that too large piping on small turbo can produce lag, is that related?

Not really planning on larger turbo at this point, would just like a stock-ish BP-t and be happy with a reliable build
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

So when you change the intake an exhaust piping size so that it becomes more effetient for air to flow through, it will bypass the stock wastegate causing boost spike. On the GTX ECUs if your turbo boosts anything over 10-12 lbs from boost spike the MAF an ECU it cut your fuel!! It's designed as a safety feature for the stock set up. Even if you have your wastegate directly(stock wastegate spring is 8lbs) to your intake pipe it will still over boost with a larger intercooler set up an a free flowing exhaust! So if you want fun without getting expensive stick with stock piping/modify it alittle but stick with a side mount unless you are gonna upgrade your turbo later on.
As for turbo lag on larger intercooler piping you will not notice it at all with our small turbos, mine is full boost at 3200 RPM. That is with a 2-1/4" hot side going through a 24x12x3 intercooler to 2-1/2" cold side piping! So mine is way over sized for the vj20 turbo an I can't notice lag at all!
Again do what you want but I am only tellin you this from my experience.
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

If you go with a side mount what you could do is grab a Gen 1 DSM side mount, its a nice fit in front of the transmission and there are usually a fair amount floating around on craigslist/kijiji due to eagle talon owners upgrading.

An f2t side mount should fit decently enough too but they aren't as common.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

don't use the MSP stock stuff. Seriously, I'm telling you from experience, the plastic pipes are prone to cracking. MUCH better off getting the ebay kit, which is what a lot of MSP guys do anyway. I have a Spearco FMIC with a Greddy Type-S BOV and custom pipes on mine.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Has anyone used the eBay kits on their MX-3 and have pictures? Seems like a lot of the worklogs I am seeing have custom piping with welding, something I will not have much access to. I wonder if the kit itself will have sufficient piping to complete the setup without much difficulty. These eBay kits above are 2.5" piping, would I be better off using 2.25" piping?
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

So yeah, this is an Ebay kit. minus the IC which is a CS intercooler. I used one kit with silicone couplers and T bolt style clamps. Took very little time to mount it in place. Before this I had a Probe IC (same as the 323) and ran it mounted at the base of the engine bay for a sleek stealthy look. Had that on there for about 2 years. I would use 2.5" piping.

Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Awesome, thanks for the pictures Josh that helps a ton, will most likely get this ebay 2.5 kit with the intercooler. Will keep you on PM speed dial during my build 8)
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Purchased eBay kit...

For anyone interested or in the market there is a very sweet deal on black FMIC + 12pc 2.5" piping + BOV with silicone couplers I got for <$100!!! heres the link...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230969403484?it ... 60&vxp=mtr

Most other kits (comparable.. including BOV) I was looking at on eBay were at least $150 and that was the cheapest price I found until this one!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Link now says $294.85... price went up $200 must have been an error! Glad I bought it!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

That is a sweet score

Return to “Forced Induction”