Spyder/ carpart4u Headlights/ OEM comparison *NOW with HID!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Spyder/ carpart4u Headlights/ OEM comparison *NOW with HID!

Post by fowljesse »

Here you go!
I took shots of the OEM lights, which I consider to be in average condition (Cleaned them to crystal clear about 2 years (Less than 1,000 miles) ago, but you can still see the filiment), and I took shots of the new ones from the exact place, and time of night, the next night.
Some things to consider while comparing these pictures:
The camera compensated for the different brightnesses by keeping the shutter open longer for the lesser brightness.
In only the OEM pictures of the street shot, the house on the left had their lights on.
You'll have to take my word that the porjectors are brighter than stock, and the HIDs are the brightest... but most of you know that anyway :wink:

OEM against a wall,
Low beam:

Projector low:

HID:

OEM high:

Projector high

OEM low street:

Projector low street:

HID street:

OEM high street:

Projector High steet:

Here are some daytime shots. It was a bad day for glamor shots, but :shrug:

Those are the lights that came in them. I haven't put in the HIDs, yet.
I need to know how to adjust them (something like 6 feet high on a wall 30 feet away, for example).

Here is the HID kit they come with:

Here are some front night shots. I took them (not Sarah, the pro). I'll get her to get some good ones :wink:

These work great, right out of the box, and were easy to put in, even though I did it in the snow, and I hate wiring! It took about 20 minutes, because I don't have a long enough socket for the bolt behind the turn signal.
I will do a full write-up with pics soon.
My car looks 15 years newer, and visibility is great! If I'd have known what they look like in person, how well they work, and how easy they were to put in (Truly plug and play, if you don't wire up the halos, and LEDs), I'd have been happy to pay $250 for them, and now they're $198 shipped!
I am officially impressed, and highly recommend them, even if you weren't interested in the first place.
Feel free to ask anyting about them, or for specific pics.
Last edited by fowljesse on February 3rd, 2009, 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Flyer

Re: Spyder/ carpart4u Headlights/ OEM comparison

Post by Flyer »

You got a little yellow on your lip XD

I take it you tied the LED and halos to turn on when the parkling lights are on?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Shades

Post by Shades »

So those halo's and LED's are free wires incase you want to wire them to your turn signals or daytime running lights?

Do you have a picture of the wiring in the back?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Whats the cost of them, with the HID kit?! and without?! - is the $198 + shipping include the HID's or no?!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
smoke187

Post by smoke187 »

i think the hid are still $50 extra

how are the hid's installed did it cone with a 9004 connector from what i have seen on ebay most kits come with the connector for the bulb type that you order
http://www.cardomain.com/id/smoke187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 mx3 bp-t
93 protege lx
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

How come no pics of the back, bulb connector, thickness of wires, mounting brackets, what the bulb looks like, how you replace it, the things that seem to matter to the quality area? We all knew they fit from the first post on the other black car.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

we'll wait for colin to make a better write up :) with all the pictures of "things that seem to matter to the quality area"
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I'm not doing the write up.... Think 90% of ppl didn't want them until they knew the "quality" of the lights. He was asked to make a full write up, and it just seems it shows how bright the lights are. Nothing against him, I just know alot of ppl would want to see pics of the backs and how they are wired. I know the other ones use fuses and relays... but this one seems to not use any... is this a fire hazzard or do they use thick gauge wire?
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

Both set of MX3 projector headlights look good visually to me, as colinsmx3 said I am more interested in the connections, wiring and fittings at the back of the lights to determine which ones I will eventually purchase.

My car is a JDM RHD MX3 and currently uses H4 headlights.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

colinsmx3 wrote:I'm not doing the write up.... Think 90% of ppl didn't want them until they knew the "quality" of the lights. He was asked to make a full write up, and it just seems it shows how bright the lights are. Nothing against him, I just know alot of ppl would want to see pics of the backs and how they are wired. I know the other ones use fuses and relays... but this one seems to not use any... is this a fire hazzard or do they use thick gauge wire?
Both ebay listings show how they are wired. This version has the highs and lows wiring directly into a single oem style connector. The other with the outside edge LEDS has a built in relay before going to the oem connector, I would assume for keeping the low beams on when you switch to highs. Which is what you want to do if you end up using an HID kit. The halos and leds are going to just end in open pigtails, and your on your own for wiring them up to your parking lights.

The cutoff looks great, except for that huge blob of light right above the cutoff. That's going to create huge glare with HID's, and completely defeats the purpose of that sharp cutoff line. Now I'm really on the fence, because I love how both versions look, but functionality makes me want to finish my retrofit :? The only problem is my retrofit will never look as good as these do cosmetically!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I would also like to know of how hard these would be to take apart. Either set I buy, I plan to take them apart later down the road and paint them the same color as my car.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

andrewlcraft wrote:
The cutoff looks great, except for that huge blob of light right above the cutoff. That's going to create huge glare with HID's, and completely defeats the purpose of that sharp cutoff line.
There is glare because of the reflection from the water :D
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I didn't think about that when I first saw the pictures, makes sense now! Light definitely looks brighter and less "yellow" but how much of an improvement is in on the road in your own eyes? Do you blind drivers?
andrewlcraft

Post by andrewlcraft »

mx-3_4evr wrote:
Doh! :lol: That's great! Now it's an easy decision!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I am very impressed by the asthetic. They look fantastic. I would still remove the LED's and fill and smooth that part of the casting, but I really like them alot otherwise. I won't decide until I see Colin's, but I know now that I would be happy with these.

Can't wait to see the HID's. C'mon Jesse....move it!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”