Squeaky Struts... Squeaky Hatch

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Squeaky Struts... Squeaky Hatch

Post by Jovian2k »

I have noticed that about 6 months after a ZX2 w/ Eibach Pro-Kit install, there is a squeaking sound coming from the rear struts (I think) when I push down on the rear or go over speed bumps.

Also, my hatch is making some weird squeaking noises when I drive over bumps and I cannot isolate where it is coming from. I checked the weather stripping, lubed it with Silicone Spray and still annoying as hell.

Any Ideas?
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Squeaky Struts... Squeaky Hatch

Post by umcamara »

I believe the squeaking comes from the rear springs shifting against the rubber seats that wrap around the rear strut mounts. I just did the ZX-2 Tokico/H&R Spring swap, and I've got the sqeaky sound too. I reused the rubbers. Perhaps if I'd bought new ones, or lubricated them they wouldn't squeak. :shrug:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

just a thought but it may be the jack wiggling or the jack raise-lower bent bar making that noise!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I've got nothing in my trunk. No spare, jack, or rod.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

You can tighten the hatch lock, just loosen the bolts and shift the catcher (IIRC)
I also wrapped the other bit in insulation tape, its worn through now and still doesn't squeak, so it probably wasn't necessary :roll:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Ok the sound has gotten worse from a squeak to almost a banging sound when I go over bumps. It definitely sounds like the sound is from inside the car, and the hatch doesn't seem to be the culprit...I cant help but think that maybe my strut mounts are involved because last I looked at them they were very rusted out and I was an idiot and failed to replace them when installing the ZX2's.
...here is a pic taken a few weeks ago when I installed the CS rear strut tower brace... will check tomorrow to see if they are worse and if that is what im hearing :(
Last edited by Jovian2k on January 10th, 2008, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worklog
For Sale Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

That sounds to me like a sympton of a failed strut. Once the hydraulic fluid leaks out, the strut has no damping effect. Even though the spring is there, when you go over a bump, it feels like the car has smashed into a brick wall.

This is what happened to my rear struts, and the reason I did the ZX-2 swap. When I removed the stock struts, I could literally push the shafts down and pull them up with absolutely no resistance. They were also coated in fluid.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

So I looked and it is definitely my rear passenger side strut mount that is completely rotted out. The Strut assembly is moving freely underneath the rear seat belt mount due to the deterioration of the strut mount. I will have to replace them asap :roll:
Worklog
For Sale Thread
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Temporary fix: shove a washcloth underneath the seatbelt mount so it doesn't hit the top and make as terrible of a noise over bumps...
Permanent fix: I will either buy MS Rear Strut Mounts or use some used ZX2 Mounts. I don't know which is best, the latter is cheaper but I don't want the same problem. Any suggestions? I suppose if I get MS Mounts I will eventually chance the fronts too.
Worklog
For Sale Thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”