93 MX-3 V6 Distributor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rccardude04

93 MX-3 V6 Distributor

Post by rccardude04 »

I have a 93 GS V6 (US/North American) MX-3. The little VIN thing in the door says it was MFG in '92.
I need a distributor, but I have no idea which rotor size I have. Autozone wants to know. I'm not on the factory original either, so the little part number sticker on the side is gone.
Any idea how to tell without taking it apart?
-Eric
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Makes no difference. Just buy the cheaper one. I know this cause i had to buy a disty.
And when i did they claimed it was gonna be a problem. When i asked to get a rotor, they said a price. I was like well arent there different sizes ?
Well no we only stock one size. I forget if its bigger or smaller, but etheir way the nipple that it goes onto, can be change if needed.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

So if I just take the cap/rotor with me and see if it fits, I'm good to go? That works :D
-Eric
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Yep.
Cap aint the problem
only the rotor.
When you buy it i would ask them for a rotor to and check it right there.
Might at well replace cap and rotor at the same time
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

Mine was the larger size. I just changed the cap/rotor when I changed my last distributor (about 5,000-10,000 miles ago).
I might make it a habit to do a disty change every other oil change, LOL. Either that or HEI. It's getting annoying already...
-Eric
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

try the HEI mod.
$300 can go towards something else
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

Autozone sells them for $145 :p Plus I had a 50 dollar gift card so it wasn't so bad. I have warranty replacements for life now also, so at least if I screw up the HEI when I try it, I can go give it back to them :p
-Eric

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”