Dash light on intermittingly

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
noreaga0221

Dash light on intermittingly

Post by noreaga0221 »

Its a 1992 mx-3 v6.

The dash light on the top left part of the cluster. I really have no idea what its for. It really doesn't look like anything. I'm going to assume its the alternator light maybe? Ever since I had the car, it would go on first thing in the morning when it was still cold but only for a couple secs. Now, its starting to show up at idle but goes out when I start to rev the motor. Any help?

Also, where can I buy a new air filter online? The parts stores don't carry them. I put new plugs in and banged out my air filter and my gas milage went up to 30, from 26ish.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

rockauto.com probably does as well as partsamerica.com

as far as your issue.. if your getting a voltage light, you may wanna check your battery connections and/or have your alternator and battery checked out.
noreaga0221

Post by noreaga0221 »

Well I don't know if its the alternator like hence my post. The car drives fine and Alt seems to function because when the old battery wouldnn't hold a charge, it still ran. So the battery is only a month or two old.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Barry is still right. You need to check, clean and maybe replace the battery cables. They wear out over time and it is about time based on the car's age. A poorly functioning alt will also give a light. The fact that it does it when cold and only when at idle only stregnthens the reason to check the cables first then the alt, then the battery.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
noreaga0221

Post by noreaga0221 »

Well my question was; Is the light I'm refering to the alternator light?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

take a picture so we know where your referring to...

Check your cables for corrosion....
noreaga0221

Post by noreaga0221 »

Its the leftmost and topmost light. I'll take a pic when I get home.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Sounds like the CEL.

The alternator light should have a picture of a battery and the word "charge" so he should be able to recognise that one ok. Its also on the right hand side.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
illapino

Post by illapino »

yes, top left light is the CEL (Check-Engine Light)

my question is: if the CEL comes on randomly, perhaps days between these times, for like 4 seconds each, does that mean the problem isn't serious? is the warning phony? why would it come on so barely unnoticed if its supposed to be a warning?????

are there times when the CEL comes on and stays on for like an hour? coz i've never seen that...

sorry, i have nothing to compare to. All I ever get with any of the cluster warning lights are 5-second come-on's, then they just go off for a day, and come back on the next day for 3 seconds again like a constipated employee.... i duno. my auto repair for dummies book doesn't cover this question for me ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
illapino

Post by illapino »

:(
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Have you tried pulling codes while in diagnostic mode?

Westside, Canada? For some reason I thought you were from Victoria. If that's true and you're saying 'Westside,' that suggests to me Squampton.
Cody
illapino

Post by illapino »

squampton? i guess u mean esquimalt.. no, i don't live there.. neway
hey, could you answer my question? intermittent dashlight vs solid dashlight? i only ever see intermittent dashlights, more like random, whenever it feels like coming on, which i don't know how urgent of a warning that is. doesn't seem like it
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I can't really answer based on that one without some research. Anytime I've had the check engine light so far has been related to a faulty ignition module. The light would come on just as the car started to die, and then I'd turn the key off, so I'm not sure if it was a flash or solid.

At any rate, have you pulled codes? Your car is OBD1 like mine.

This might help, but the server is slow as hell.

http://ca.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/c_t_br ... -3&.view=l
Cody

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”