Cutting bump stops

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mdavis

Cutting bump stops

Post by mdavis »

I've searched, but couldn't find any consistent information.

Should the factory bump stops be shortened at all for a lowered MX-3? IE. cutting a rib off the top or bottom? I don't want to cut them (too short) and end up prematurely wearing my new ZX-2 struts because of too much travel. Anybody have any idea of what's right? I'm using ~-1.5" ground controls.

Also, I posted in the Trade/Sale section that a need a new set of bump stops.. anybody got an extra set laying around? :D

Thanks
GS-R SE
Fixin's
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

They are a part of the dust boot, so you'll need to cut the boot off. I also cut a rib or two off for the shorter rod of the struts.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

PATDIESEL wrote: I also cut a rib or two off for the shorter rod of the struts.
what? shorter rods of the struts? you mean the struts with the shorter rods?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PATDIESEL wrote:They are a part of the dust boot, so you'll need to cut the boot off. I also cut a rib or two off for the shorter rod of the struts.
Can't you just pull up the boot and cut the boot underneath?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

bump

Thanks guys.

Now someone sell me some bumpstops!! bump bump
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

mdavis wrote: Now someone sell me some bumpstops!! bump bump
Can't you just go to NAPA and buy some? :?
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I guess I could, but I would need someone to post the HEIGHT of the stock bumps so I could cut the new ones accordingly. Also, what're your thoughts on dust boots? Am I going to damnage the strut without them?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Well I called Napa (I already tried AutoZone + another local place) and they say that the only bump stops they carry are huge ones for old a-- Cryslers and such. I asked if he though they might have them for my application and his answer was the same as everyone else's - no. I'm not really sure what to do here. I definitly don't want to blow my new struts just because I don't have bump stops.. any ideas?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Ooookkkk. Yesterday I called a local Ford dealership - they claimed to hot list any "bump stops" for the ZX2. I called back today and gave him the part # for the dust boots (thinking that if they're a compined unit, that might be the part im after) he said that the boots looked like a separate item, but I had him check the illustration in the book and he told me it looked like there was a separate bump stop called a "front strut jounce bumper" or something like that. He verified that is keeps the strut from compressing too far. $27 each front only. Sound right?

I'm still wondering about the dust boots, too..
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

strut jounce bumper? haha..crazy. Ask him what it looks like, it shoudl look like a stack of donuts, about half the diameter of your boots.

27 is about right, i'd say go for em. And they're meant for the ZX2 so even better.

This coudl be usefull info for everybody here with zx2's

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

mdavis wrote:Well I called Napa (I already tried AutoZone + another local place) and they say that the only bump stops they carry are huge ones for old a-- Cryslers and such.
It comes in the boot kit. It's $14 for the boot and bump stop for each corner. NAPA is owned by the same company that owns Monroe, so everything on the Monroe website, they have ....just branded under NAPA. I don't think anyone carrys JUST the bumpstop. And yes you need boots, or your struts will be gone in all of a year.
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Yeah part # F7CZ-18A085-AA

I do know what bump stops look like, and I'm pretty sure him and I were on the same page.

Sorry I can't verify this for everyone - I need dust boots too so I think I'm going to have to get the Mazda 2-peice combos at $45 each (front) and $? for the back. That is, unless NAPA works out. lakersfan, on Monroe.com I find the "STRUT-MATE BOOT KITS" part #63973 Is that what ur talkin about? I like the fact that the Ford bumps are the EXACT height for the strut/-1.5" eibach drop.

One other thing.. I ordered the F8CZ-18198-AAA metal thrust bearings - I just realized they aren't going to fit my Ground Control top perch, are they?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Woohoo thanks lakersfan, I just ordered x2 front and 2x back kits from NAPA. $16 each all around. No thrust bearings, though.. hopefully that won't be a dealer item...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to cut the bump stops anyways? My H&R are the same exact drop as the Eibach, but the MX3 is not on the list of cars you need to cut the bumpstops for.

Regardles, it should be pretty easy on the NAPA pieces as the bumpstop is a seperate piece from the boot. You have to clamp the boot to the bumpstop with the supplied retaining ring.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

The thurst bearings can be ordered from http://www.oemfordparts.com (just search for it) or a ford dealership. You will need then because the old ones are to small and they're sh!tty plastic...just so ya know.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”