upgrades in cali

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

upgrades in cali

Post by Bumpysbro »

Since i live in cali and the option for a bp or a bpt is not availabe since it wont pass smog what kind of upgrades should i look for my rs dohc, ima get a valve job and new rings, head gasket, i already have a whole new ground kit, battery, intake, plugs, wires. what kinda power is out there that i can put into my car without worrying about smog issues?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

did you check if 95-98 protege engines would fit - they would be obd2 and would pass emissions test i think.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

ariesdude wrote:did you check if 95-98 protege engines would fit - they would be obd2 and would pass emissions test i think.

That wouldn't be any better, since he would come across the same problem. He wouldn't be able to pass a legal smog. Any engine he puts in, if the smog points on the engine doesn't match the smog sticker inside the hood, it will be considered illegal. Now, he can go to the Referee and get a BP/BPT engine legalize. That could cost little or alot. I just did that with my DE. Or he can buy my GSDE, and make it easier.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

hey bumpsybro im in cali to and i have the same problem. i also have a 94 dohc. there are a few things u can do that i have read to get more power out of it like port and polish the head, port match the mani to the head,bigger tb, bp injectors, cat back exhaust but i have a header back system, high flow cat, custom headers. miata forged pistons balenced crank, miata cams, there is some stuff u can do but no as much as the bp. and u can also do the 5 speed swap i u dont have one. im sending my head in to be ported and polished and port matched to the mani and porting and polishin the mani.
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

move............simple.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

wheres the referee station located? i mean is there a possibility the new engine wont pass? or does it rely on how much money i have lol. project...the new cams, pistons and cat back wont change my smog numbers?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

that really sucks man. Making a slow car fast without hurting mother nature is hard. Buy a car that's fast to begin with.
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

the pistons and cat back wont change the smog numbers but i think the cams will a little bit not sure how much though but u should be able to get away with it. when ur at the smog stations dont say anything about them being in there.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”