Dyno Time...results inside

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hppwdn

Dyno Time...results inside

Post by hppwdn »

So we stopped by the dyno today and made a few passes with the mx3ze. Before the results a little history that reveals some very interesting info.

The last dyno we did on the car it made 180whp. Since then I have only added pacesetters headers (didn't even come close to fitting right) and a UDP.

Today at the dyno it made 193.66hp & 169.84tq.

Not too shabby. That's still with stock ignition. For bolt ons it has:

2.5" Exhaust w/ 22 in resonator and Borla Muffler
CZT bored TB
Pacesetter Headers
No Cat
Unsprung 6 puck rx7 clutch with stock pressure plate
UDP
Millenia IM
EDIT: Since no one read my sig...Megasquirt Engine Management

So it appears that the pacesetters made 13hp at the wheels and about 13wtq since the UDP gains are pretty much non existant in 4th gear.

Anyhow on to the dyno graph. The choppiness is from that quality stock ignition :dunno: Coil packs coming soon....

Notice how the torque is pretty much right there when I hit the gas until the HP catches up.

Comments on what I could improve to reach the goal of 200whp all motor are very welcome.

Video of the dyno can be found here.
http://www.mx3ze.com/dyno/MX-3/DSCN0506.MOV
Edit: Windows Friendly small file size WMV. http://www.mx3ze.com/dyno/goldmemberdyno.wmv
Last edited by hppwdn on March 6th, 2006, 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Very nice :2thumbsup: I have always thought a standalone engine control system was the answer and your setup is similar to what I would like to do myself. When you start looking at ignition.. check into MSD systems.. I really think their multiple spark setups will get the most complete ignition/combustion per cycle. Are you running window switches? If not.. how are you setting your VRIS points?

One thing.. you are not the only person I have seen complain about pacesetter headers.. might want to check into SS Autochrome down the line.. I would recommend getting them ceramic coated even to better keep heat under control.

Also.. did you have your K8 TB bored out or did you have a millenia TB done?

Anyway.. congrats on some great numbers man.. cant wait to see your next upgrades and results :2thumbsup:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

a msd ignition system would push you past the 200hp mark
decent fuel burn at high rev's !

Nice figures for minamal mods
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Wait. This is supposedly with a Mazda ECU, no AFPR, and stock ZE cams? I'm going to raise the BS flag here. Your shop's dyno has to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:Wait. This is supposedly with a Mazda ECU, no AFPR, and stock ZE cams? I'm going to raise the BS flag here. Your shop's dyno has to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.
I agree the numbers doesn't seem right, with the mods you have you should be in the 160whp range. but good curve on the dyno though. For sure it has to be recalibrated.

About pacesetter headers, on thing I heard is that they have the most horrible sound but are the one that give the more hp
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Yeah that does seem unrealisticly high. Those are by far the highest number i have seen on this site for the ze. You should try a different dyno.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701070087
a quick database you can look at

post #24 looks the most close to you.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

For those doubting me I find that pretty amusing.

The engine management is a megasquirt (see my sig). VRIS is controlled by MS and set at 4000 & 4700.

TB is a KLZE TB with the CZT 70mm coned to 67mm bore. I had an extension made so the IAC would clear the thermostat area.

We also tune the car with a wideband on a regular basis.

As for the headers I sanded them down real good and painted them with high temp paint that has not peeled at all and is sticking really well. To make them fit we had to pretty much hack everything up and re-weld it together.

For ignition I'm upgrading to a V3 board for MS and adding coil packs.

The dyno is fine too. It's actually a very well respected dyno. They do a lot of dyno business for a lot of the fully built Honda/Acura guys running those crazy 500WHP+ 10k rpm engines.
I agree the numbers doesn't seem right, with the mods you have you should be in the 160whp range. but good curve on the dyno though. For sure it has to be recalibrated.
That's completely wrong. Regular KLDEs with I/H/E hit 160whp all the time. So make that a very healthy ZE, add some more bolt ons and a stand alone and you do the math.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701070087
a quick database you can look at

post #24 looks the most close to you.
B4TN was not running an MS. Of all people BabyBlue you should know the benefits of MS on a ZE.

Lakersfan1 - do some research on how a stand alone works. I don't need the AFPR to control my fuel. I've been running it that way for close to a year with no problems and so does most everyone I know with an MS.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you should have stated in your first post that you were megasquirted ;)
Now I understand.

a friend of mine that had a full ZE, intake, headers, exhaust, FPR, made 157whp ona mustang dyno.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
shaodome

Post by shaodome »

Brian (b4tn) wasn't even running a KLZE, so...please read more carefully.

Why do you guys call BS? There is a DE running around in the New England area with a 189whp using boltons, reground cams, and a MS (see the thread in teh PT EE forum).

Lakeersfan1....looks like your "knowledge" is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off. :roll:

When it comes to dyno's you really shouldn't go around switching them as you progressively add more mods. Then you do not see consistent gains. At the very least if you look at his first plot with this car at Car-Tek, you will see somewhere of around a 15whp increase with the addition of the pacesetter headers. Nothing else changed.
Megasquirt - Engine mangement for the rest of us
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

if we had known he was MS'ted since post #1 nobody would have said anything about it
btw Jordan, did you dyno the ze-t ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
shaodome

Post by shaodome »

No :( It currently is in N/A form. It is undergoing some major upgrades and since I'm selling my dail driver (buying a new car). I need to keep it safe for a few more weeks. Rest assured...300whp commin at cha!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

shaodome wrote: There is a DE running around in the New England area with a 189whp using boltons, reground cams, and a MS (see the thread in teh PT EE forum).
I'm still waiting on the word for sending in my ECU for the V3/coilpack MSnS conversion from the first GB. Down payment done a long time ago and springs a commin'.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
shaodome

Post by shaodome »

I know...we are a little backed up. I am having ryan do all the PnP units, so you will be shipping yours to him. I'll e-mail you the addres to mail it to :)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

shaodome wrote:I know...we are a little backed up. I am having ryan do all the PnP units, so you will be shipping yours to him. I'll e-mail you the addres to mail it to :)
:2thumbsup:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”