Disabling Thermostat

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
anvil82

Disabling Thermostat

Post by anvil82 »

I need a quick fix for my thermostat.

My engine continually overheats, and I believe it is the thermostat because sometimes the temp gaug egoes sky high, and then after a few minutes it all of the sudden goes back to the mid point, and I can feel the hot air coming from the vents (when driving with the heat on full all the time to check it). This process happens repeatedly, although it can go a while before it kicks in meaning I have to pull over to the side of the road.

How do I disable/bypass it so it runs the entire time.

Is it easy?

Thank you!
Last edited by anvil82 on October 24th, 2005, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

sounds like u got air in your cooling system.

U will have to bleed out your system to get rid of the air.

1. wait this the engine is bone cold.
2. Take of the rad cap.
3. Top off the rad with 50/50 cooland and water.
4. pump the two hoses (top and bottom) to get some of the air out.
5. Turn on your car and let it idle with the rad cap off.
6. Watch the level of fluid at the top of the rad. When the engine warms up just keep topping off the rad untill it stays full

Now stop the engine. Make sure there is fluid in your reserve container. Then take it for a long drive on the highway and in stop and go places to see if it overheats again.

word. :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

What do you mean by "pump the two hoses"?

Thanks I'll check it out.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

just squeeze the two hoses that are coming out of the radiator.

if you want to "disable" your thermostat you can just take it out and run the car without one.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

Well since there is already fluid in my reserve container would that mean the cause of my problem is not lack of coolant?

I'll give it a shot anyways though.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

dont take it out as car will run cold,,ecu will run the car rich ,,,cat will clog in time,its easier to buy a new one.under 10 bucs.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agree w/jimishadow - just replace the thermostat. Not unusual at all for a thermostat to "flake out" intermittently like you've described yours doing, when it's gone/going bad. Time for a new one. The online shop manual http://mx-3.com/95manual explains the procedure in section E1, pg. 009. That's for the 94/95 4 cyl. but the procedure is really the same for any engine, in case you have a pre-94 model. Only dif might be the exact location of the thermostat housing however, it will always be found along the engine side (end) of the upper radiator hose.
Image -Jim
Billyd

'93 MX3 1.6 same problem overheating

Post by Billyd »

I am having the same problem. My 1993 MX3 1.6 started overheating, I changed out thermostat, completely flushed engine, put radiator flush in and ran engine 10 mins (with heater on full blast), emptied out flush, put about 70/30 anti-freeze/water, and now overheating worse. Hoses are fine, no cracks or leaks. My overfill reservoir stays empty. Could this be causing the problem?, or maybe the radiator cap? I was told that a "faulty" or worn radiator cap can cause overheating too. MAybe heater coil, since my heater doesn't blow warm either? Im goin' nuts here!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
anvil82

Re: '93 MX3 1.6 same problem overheating

Post by anvil82 »

Billyd wrote:I am having the same problem. My 1993 MX3 1.6 started overheating, I changed out thermostat, completely flushed engine, put radiator flush in and ran engine 10 mins (with heater on full blast), emptied out flush, put about 70/30 anti-freeze/water, and now overheating worse. Hoses are fine, no cracks or leaks. My overfill reservoir stays empty. Could this be causing the problem?, or maybe the radiator cap? I was told that a "faulty" or worn radiator cap can cause overheating too. MAybe heater coil, since my heater doesn't blow warm either? Im goin' nuts here!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you even sure the water pump is working?
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

it's a new waterpump....but I pulled a lot of sludge out of it (the radiator) after I put the water pump in and drove it for a couple weeks. After I posted the previous I thought about that and went out and started it, opened radiator top, tried to squeeze hoses to air out the system, and noticed hoses had no pressure...so I think you may be right, I have a feeling all that sludge effed up the pump. I mean the sludge was thicker than mud, I had to use my hand to dig it out of the radiator opening. If the water pump stops, shouldn't water come out of it, or maybe it is just clogged up? Thanks for the reply....
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

head gasket,id almost bet money on it.if your car is using coolant with no visable leak its almost certain,i changed many and even had cracked heads on running mx3 that started sipping coolant till it was just overheating in a few minets.
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

My 2006 Civic EX Coupe just arrived *yay*.

(been waiting 3 weeks)

Now I can put this off to the weekend, and do it right.

Still not sure what to do with this car, probably sell it locally after I fix it up.

It only has 94,000 miles.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Billyd wrote:it's a new waterpump....but I pulled a lot of sludge out of it (the radiator) after I put the water pump in and drove it for a couple weeks. After I posted the previous I thought about that and went out and started it, opened radiator top, tried to squeeze hoses to air out the system, and noticed hoses had no pressure...so I think you may be right, I have a feeling all that sludge effed up the pump. I mean the sludge was thicker than mud, I had to use my hand to dig it out of the radiator opening. If the water pump stops, shouldn't water come out of it, or maybe it is just clogged up? Thanks for the reply....
That sludge is whatcha get when your coolant and engine oil mix together (=BAD) and like jimishadow said, means a blown head gasket. Pretty significant repair needed to remove the cyl head, clean that junk out of the oil and cooling passages/system, have the head checked for warping, and either planed (or replaced if it's too warped to repair), then reinstall everything to spec with a new head gasket. Check your oil and you will probably see the same sludgy stuff on the dipstick.

Now anvil82's prob sounds like just a bad thermostat at this stage altho allowing continual overheating could lead to the same prob since high enough overheating is what warps the cylinder head and blows the head gasket.
Image -Jim
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

damn.....car stlll runs strong and everything....no funny smoke or weird noises so I didn't think head gasket...any possibilty not just water pump huh? The oil looks fine, and I think the sludge is rust, cause car sat for months and obviusly coolant never changed, radiator never flished.....oh well. I'll check water pump this weekend and if that's no good I'll try head gasket. Thanks guys!!!
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

your oil level doesn't go down at all?

it does sound like your heater core is plugged if it won't blow warm air. if that is the case i'm sure your radiator isn't flowing too well either.

have you been continually filling the radiator and overflow tank?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”