charge light

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
92rsmx-3

charge light

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

searched but didnt find anything.

my charge light is comming on some times at idle and when i press the brake it comes on till i let off. and when i turn my blinker on it blinks with the blinker.

did a fuse go bad? or is my alterntor gone bad?
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Classic symptom of pending alternator failure. Do yourself a favor and dont buy a remanufactured one from Autozone when you go to replace it. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mx3mikey

Post by mx3mikey »

Take the car to a parts store. They can test your voltage for you. Its free!
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: charge light

Post by neutral »

92rsmx-3 wrote:searched but didnt find anything. my charge light is comming on some times at idle and when i press the brake it comes on till i let off. and when i turn my blinker on it blinks with the blinker. did a fuse go bad? or is my alterntor gone bad?
My .02. Not fuse related & betcha the alt is fine, but your alt-belt probably needs more tension. The belt sounds as if not so loose as to slip/squeal but just loose enough that it only can run a higher elec load (like all lights PLUS brake lights, 27w ea I think) when your rpm's are up. At idle, loose belt = a battery drain condition coming into play.

Ck belt tension and adjust but don't overtighten it or can dmg the alt bearings. Rough rule of thumb (literally) is to put moderate thumb pressure against the centerpoint of the longest belt span and you should see 3/8" - 1/2" deflection on a used belt.
Image -Jim
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

ya thats what i did last weekend before i put my car all back together was tighten my belts cause i just replaced them and they were squeeking still. everything seems to be good except once yesterday they ssqueeked when i started it.
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Might need another adjustment. For some reason, the adjustment tolerance is very small on these cars. I had to do 2-3 adjustments about a week apart after putting on a new alt belt. Most cars only require one post-install adjustment and sometimes not even that.

If further belt adjustment doesn't work then agree w/Tunes 67, alternator may be wearing out. In that case check, or have someone check the output voltage under idle conditions.
Image -Jim
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

I had this when I first got mine. The first thing I did was checked the belt tension and it was a little loose. After I tightened it to spec, the light as stopped coming on.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”