Disty swap problem...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Disty swap problem...

Post by Nallboy »

Almost through with my swap... another problem.

When I put my K8 disty on the ZE, the cam timing is off. The best it'll go is about ten degrees retarded from where the original was. I have the capability to make it fit (ie. tigging it up), but only if it comes down to that. I don't want a retarded car... what did you gurus do?
Thanks,
-John
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

C'mon, guys. I need some help here. I know someone's had to deal with this. Don't tell me your cars are all retarded...
:help:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Guess I'll bump for one more try... Did you guys even check yours?
Taras

Post by Taras »

I ran KLY ECU in my ZE for over 4 years now and no problem. Your's doesn't fit?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

Taras wrote:I ran KLY ECU in my ZE for over 4 years now and no problem. Your's doesn't fit?
Don't want to be rude, but I don't know what that means in regard to my problem. It's my distributor. Everyone says to use the K8 disty, but when I put it on my KL-ZE (it does fit) the cam timing's off by at least ten degrees. My mechanic (Uncle) verified it. I'm wondering if I need to "readjust" the part that connects to the block (not good with names), but I'd have to do some welding to get it where it needs to be. I can't think of any other way.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Well i don't have a KLZE, but that sounds a bit suss to me, sorry if this insults your intelligence, but do you have the leads around the right way etc, cos the ecu is supposed to adjust the timing (to a degree anyway)
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

It's not off. The leads on the cap are in different places. But they are all still in the same order. I spent about 15 minutes following all the leads on the caps to see what the deal was. Just put it on and don't worry about it.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yah deffinatly takes some playing around but it will fit.
ze or k8 disty both work
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
yvan

Post by yvan »

AH YES, I THINK I KNOW HOW TO FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG... is this in advance timing or base timiing mode? if you got a small vac leak in advance timinig mode..then your timing will be throw off, make sure your'e in base timing mode. other then that check for anything that would cause you to advance your timing, like tps, coolent tempt, rpm, and such. ..
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

How would the TPS affect timming?? (sorry, I'm all new to mazda's, coming from an LT1 350...)

My car idled like crap. got tired of it, cleaned out the TB, re-did intake, checked vacuums, it helped, but it still stalled and no balls, popping exhaust ect...

After I instaled everything bach, I installed the TPS fully tilted towards the front of the car and now it doesn't pop anymore, seems to run much better, but it still idles high, like 1500 when warm, and sometimes perfect at 7-800.

Can't seeem to get a normal idle, but it doesn't stall anymore.

Sorry for the hijack....I'm just pulling hair here!!! ...lol
R.I.P Dimes

Fool me once, shame on you!!!, fool me twice...shame on me!!!
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

mine is off as well but i just adjusted it with a timing light the best i could and its pretty close but still off, runs fine though
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”