water pump replacement

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

water pump replacement

Post by mitmaks »

what are step by step to change water pump on k8, this one guy wants $250+tax and probably will replace timing belt which will be extra. I think thats ridiculous price esp if I can do it myself, so how you do it, anyone got manual pages to change it, please help
mitmaks@yahoo.com
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lakersfan1

Re: water pump replacement

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you've got Microsoft Word,

http://odin.prohosting.com/bblades/leskatimingbelt.zip

Unzip, read, enjoy.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

thank you for zip, any other tips/tricks guys, what else besides water pump ive gotta change?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

friction bearing, water pump seal, timing belt tensioner (but i think these are all listed in that FAQ..)
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

timing belt tensioner has to be changed only if replacing timing belt i believe, water pump can be replaced without messing with timing belt or so ive read in that manual
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mitmaks:
timing belt tensioner has to be changed only if replacing timing belt i believe,
It only has to be replaced when it goes bad, but it would make sense to replace at every timign belt change, as they seem to be able to last a little longer than the normal 60K belt interval, but not quite two belt intervals. Since our cars are non-interference, I almost think it'd be better to extend your timing belt change interval until the tensioner starts going.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

only $250? i called mazda when i did my waterpump and they quoted me $650 plus tax. so i did it myself. i couldnt get the pump off without taking the timing belt off though, i think the belt blocks it.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

was also told i have to take out engine to replace pump is that true?
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

absolutely not..
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

$250 is super cheap especially if it includes the water pump. You have to pull the the t-belt to change the pump. IF you've all ready got it apart that far it's no extra work to replace the belt.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mitmaks:
was also told i have to take out engine to replace pump is that true?
Where'd you get that crap from?
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

take the engine out? no no no. if a mechanic told you that they are trying to scam you. theres enough room to work once you take off the belts and hoses. you can probably do it in a weekend.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
msilverton

Post by msilverton »

Originally posted by fry_81:
take the engine out? no no no. if a mechanic told you that they are trying to scam you. theres enough room to work once you take off the belts and hoses. you can probably do it in a weekend.
I found it a bit easier if I took out the right motor mount. Gave me better access.

Mike
Ebsouljah

Post by Ebsouljah »

you have to take the motor mount off cuz one of the motor mount bolts goes right throught the water pump.(If it didnt it would be really easy) and you dont have to take off the timing belt, just takes some manuvering..
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Originally posted by Ebsouljah:
you have to take the motor mount off cuz one of the motor mount bolts goes right throught the water pump.(If it didnt it would be really easy) and you dont have to take off the timing belt, just takes some manuvering..
wtf? :confused2: the motor mount bolts go nowhere near the water pump buddy.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”