Automatic Seatbelts - Help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Demonic1

Re: Automatic Seatbelts - Help

Post by Demonic1 »

My driver side seat belt has been out since I bought my car. I usually just disconnected it and laid the belt across the passenger seat. I was browsing this post earlier yesterday and it got me off my a-- to do something about it. I took it in today, the lady looked up the VIN and year and such... She was looking over the recall info and I said to look at page 4, where it says "Lifetime" and didn't get any hassle about bringing it in. The shop was pretty busy, so I made an appointment to have them diagnosed on Tuesday. Then they'll order the parts and such.

I'll post an update if/when it gets fixed. Or when the diagnosis says it's that problem and they order parts.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

I have been having a problem with my belts but they haven't just flat out quit working. The driver side will always retract but there are times when I open the door that it wont go forward at all. Could this be the switch deal that was mentioned earlier? Every time I have searched I have always come up with the main issue of full stop.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

Ionic1000, It does sound like the switch is being iffy.

What I got from reading the recall information was that the switch is only covered for a period of 12 years though. Not the "Lifetime" warranty. Anyone else want to chime in on this? Maybe I read it wrong.

The fact that it's only happening sometimes may just be a bad contact or something. The recall pages showed where the switch was and how they tested/replaced it... maybe you could do your own work without taking it to the stealership.

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

Well the actual switch goes in and out just fine so I'm hoping I just got a loose wire. I know where I can get another box for under the seat so I might swap those first to see if my box is bad.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

My car spent about an hour at the stealership today. They gave me a call and said they'd ordered the parts I needed. So it will eventually get fixed under the warranty... just waiting for parts.

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I need to go in for mine. It was done already, but I'm not going to play that bulls--- with them >_>
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

I had this struggle... finally got it replaced after a bit of arm twisting, heres the thread : http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68728

-->here is the important link from that thread you will want to print and bring with you when (not if) they schedule your recall... http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/72803.pdf
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

what i did was email mazda with the info of the nearest dealership and they emailed me back after they contacted them...
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
mxmikey
antispam: No

Post by mxmikey »

Personally I hate electric seat belts, so when mine went out I just went to a junk yard and ripped a pair out of a probe, I think it was $15. It is an easy conversion, you just have to trim away a small section of the side panel in the back to make room for the seat belt to come up. Then you just drill a hole in the top plastic piece for the seat belt to go through, just make sure it matches up with the desired hole. The frame of the car already has three threaded spaces on the frame the seat belt will screw in all the way.
93 GS/SE
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

So, I never got this one updated...

About 2 weeks after they looked at my car, I happened to be driving by the stealership. I stopped in to inquire about the parts and was told that they had been there for over a week and the manager (of parts dept.) hadn't given me a call about them yet. I set up a day to come in and get the parts installed... which was a week ago last Friday. They got the new parts installed and it still didn't work. They told me that they would order the new rails and call me when I needed to bring it in. I questioned the manager and he said that they'd only ordered the switches (which are part of the warranty/recall) and that wasn't the issue. I told him that the warranty had full steps to diagnose whether it was an issue with the switch or the motor, or the rail. He never really admitted it, but after calling another dealer they said the price on the switch (I never mentioned the warranty to this dealer) was $36. The dealer was trying to get away with replacing the cheap part and hoping it would work.

I'm still waiting for the rails...

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

That doesn't even make sense. The dealer doesn't take the hit for Mazda's design flaw. They forward the bill. What they do lose is shop time, but I have never seen a shop that has every mech busy from 9 to 5.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

I went in earlier today to check on the status. The guy had the parts in, and forgot to call and tell me. I have an appointment to get it done on Thursday.

They've just been giving me the run-around about this. They haven't really tried to tell me no, just avoiding me.

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
BlazeSquall

Post by BlazeSquall »

mxmikey wrote:Personally I hate electric seat belts, so when mine went out I just went to a junk yard and ripped a pair out of a probe, I think it was $15. It is an easy conversion, you just have to trim away a small section of the side panel in the back to make room for the seat belt to come up. Then you just drill a hole in the top plastic piece for the seat belt to go through, just make sure it matches up with the desired hole. The frame of the car already has three threaded spaces on the frame the seat belt will screw in all the way.
My Driver's side is broken. I think I'll just do this.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'll be selling an OEM manual belt conversion pretty soon. I'll get it all set up in a nice package and ship it out.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
BlazeSquall

Post by BlazeSquall »