Automatic Seatbelts - Help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
danmyers686

Automatic Seatbelts - Help

Post by danmyers686 »

Alright, I think this is the right section to post this. My passenger side seat belt is stuck midway in the track and only moves about an inch back and forth by hand, but when you close or open the door, even when driving down the road you can hear the motor clicking and making noise trying to move to the position its suposed to be in. Just went to go get my license and I had to reschedule for another appointment and use another vehicle because my car was "defective" and wasnt fully functional. I Need this fixed asap. Do I need an new motor for it or what other problems could cause this? I dont beleive it is off track or anything. I went to a local shop and the guy didnt even look at it and says I need a new motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Im a potential scammer, do not sell me anything as I owe others $$
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Go to your mazda dealer and they will fix it...for free. It's a safety recall. If they start making excuses ask for a manager!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If the manager starts giving you crap.. ask them to call the mazda corporate office.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
danmyers686

Post by danmyers686 »

Thanks guys I had no idea, Just called Mazda and got an appointment set up for Monday, they said they would take a look at it and they would have to order the parts. Thanks again.
danmyers686

Post by danmyers686 »

Well what a story this was, just wanted to let you guys know how it turned out. Well it turns out My Mx-3 has already been in to Mazda for the seatbelt issue, This is what they told us when we went the first time. So I go ahead and finish running my errands for the day get home and they called and left a message saying that it wasnt a recall but a special policy and said they had checked into it and the left side had been repaired before but the right side still is eligible for the special policy so now I have to run back out to Mazda sometime today for them to look at it then bring it back after they get the parts ordered and in. Another Sad thing is the guy didnt know what a Mx-3 was :lol: I was parked right in front of the door while he was outside he held the door for me and went behind the counter and asks where the car is and i pointed to it and he says "Really? Thats a Mazda?" I kind of laughed and said yea thats it. But anyways just thought i would let you know how it turned out.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I have heard that if the same side goes out twice then they will not replace it... but it's not our fault...

you shouldn't have to pay IMO - I would fight it all the way to the mazda CEO LOL :twisted:
danmyers686

Post by danmyers686 »

Well good thing the passenger side hasnt been replaced yet so im still covered under the policy.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

They are full of it.. call the mazda corporate office and report their dealership.. then call the dealership back in a couple of days.. bet they change their tune (pun intended) after they hear from the corporate office ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

danmyers686

Post by danmyers686 »

So whats the deal with the "Special Policy" since its not a recall?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The "special policy" is where the dealership suddenly discovers that they are going to have to fix your car at their OWN expense. They will of course not want to so so since its a relatively expensive thing to fix. So they will hem and haw and give you this special policy BS and try to convince you as nicely as possible that its no longer their responsibility. Thats why you may need to get in touch with the Mazda USA corporate division and report the dealership.. Mazda will come down on them like a ton of bricks and force them to do the repair work.

Tunes67

ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

They are idiots. You have a LIFETIME WARRANTY (well, life of the car, not you, heh) on the seatbelts. Read below for the whole recall, or read this:

In addition to performing this recall campaign, Mazda is extending the warranty coverage on the driver and passenger automatic shoulder belt rail and motor for the life of the vehicle. Mazda is also extending the warranty coverage on the front door latch switch, which may affect the operation of the automatic shoulder belt, to 12 years from the manufacturers warrenty start date.

Recall Information can also be viewed HERE.

October 1st, 1998
Re:

1992-1993 MX-3 And 1990-1993 323 Automatic Shoulder Belts

Recall Campaign #72803
Dear Mazda Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Mazda Motor Coporation has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1990-1993 323 and 1992-1993 MX-3 models.

Mazda has determined that, under certain conditions, the cable that retracts the automatic shoulder belt buckle may bind due to excessive wear of the automatic shoulder belt rail. If binding of the cable occurs, the passive restraint system is rendered inoperative.

Arrangements have been made for you to have your automatic shoulder belt inspected and replaced if necessary. Please schedule an appointment with your Mazda dealer to have this recall performed free of charge. The work may take as long as 3 hours to complete. however, it may take longer depending upon the service department's work schedule.

In addition to performing this recall campaign, Mazda is extending the warranty coverage on the driver and passenger automatic shoulder belt rail and motor for the life of the vehicle. Mazda is also extending the warranty coverage on the front door latch switch, which may affect the operation of the automatic shoulder belt, to 12 years from the manufacturers warrenty start date.

If you have already paid for the repair or replacment of your shoulder belt or front door latch switch, due to improper operation of the automatic seat retractor, Mazda will reimburse you for reasonable expenses based on Mazda's repair standards. Please complete the enclosed "Reimbursement Application Form", (Front, Back) mail it in the pre-addressed envelope and allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

If you are the lessor of the vehicle and have received this letter, please provide a copy to the lessee.

Should you have any questions regarding this recall campaign, please contact our Customer Assistance toll-free number, (800) 222-5500.

If your dealer or distributor does not remedy this defect without charge and/or within a reasonable amount of time, you may wish to notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC 20590, or call their toll-free Auto Safety Hotline. (888) 327-4236. (Residents of Washington, DC may call 366-0123)

Our goal at Mazda is to build and maintain only the highest quality products.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this recall campaign may cause to you.

Subject VIN Range As Follows:

Year: Model: VIN Number Range:
1992-1993 MX-3 JM1EC43%*N0100039 to
JM1EC43%*P0238507
1990-1993 323 JM1BG232*L0100122 to
JM1BG232*P0651901
JM1BG234*P0550052 to
M1BG234*P0651919
% an be 1 OR 2
* an be any letter or number
No more MX-3.
danmyers686

Post by danmyers686 »

Thanks for the info, I am going to go down to Mazda again today and make sure i get my seatbelts fixed. Even if do have to call Corporate, I will get it fixed. Thanks again for all the info guys, If I wouldnt of known this I wouldve been salvaging parts and swaping them in.
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

actually a Specail Program is akin to what is called a "technical Service Bulletin" by US OEMs...

What it means is the OEM, Mazda in this case, has determined that an issue exists, but which NHTSA has not asked / forced them to recall for yet.

In many cases these are intended to fix as many affected vehicles as possible in an effort to stave off a full blown recall. TSBs generally are unofficial as far as the Govt is concerned.

WHy did I bother posting this?

Because my @%&%(@(!! Autobelts puked on me this past weekend and the douce dealer is saying the Recall was already perfromed on my car so I am out of luck.

I work in the Saftey Retraints Industry...

GAME ON BIATCHS!
93 GS SE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Well if nothing else, I can scan in the pages on how to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing. That is if you can find a good working auto seatbelt at a junkyard.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Here is the Recall info off the main home page.. read this. I also have a spare set of Auto seat belt Motors if anyone needs them.. they are going in the trash soon though.

http://www.mx-3.com/recalls/seatbelts.cfm

Tunes67

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”