what kind of engine is this?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Re: what kind of engine is this?

Post by hgallegos915 »

My kf had a k8 head. maybe a millenia or a kfze. I think mine was a kfde or something like that. Engine SUCKED..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

It looks like a KF mani on a KL head to me, so I think Solo has it right.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

You can always trust the engine code on the back that says KL426420. That seems like a KL block for sure because of this code.

As for the heads and cams and intake, who knows, the pics shown in the second link seem to show KLZE heads. You'd have to see the cams as they make the ZE what it is. Without ZE cams you have a slightly better than usual KLDE....

The IM is definitely not a KL though, like others have said, curved neck KFZE was also my first impression. It may make sense that they went for the curved KFZE IM as it would have the rectangular intake ports and match the heads + fit in the engine bay.

In all honesty though, I'd just get a known KLDE from an MX6/Probe and rebuild or put headers on etc.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
windofire
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by windofire »

How do you guys think the kf IM will run on the kl engine?

Rx8se3p- you would just take a normal DE? There's another engine for sale, but its the same price, just without exhaust and tranny..
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

KF manifold is different in port shape than the KLZE heads.

Unless there are KLDE heads on the engine, or the heads/intake have been poortmatched it's not a real good combination.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

It'll run with the kf mani, might be abit unstable at idle but with the kf ecu it should be ok
windofire

Post by windofire »

What is the kf ecu's number?
And it won't run with the kl31 ecu..? (I've got a offer on a kl31 and kl36 for 200$)

i explained to the guy that it had the wrong IM and he offered my the engine, tranny and full exhaust for 800€ (it was 1150€ before). would you guys buy it for that price?
normally a klze is about 1100€ engine only.
the reason i still consider this is because my tranny just went yesterday. i cant shift down to second gear. :/
Black Mx3 GS
ZE swapped with kl36 ecu and Exedy oem clutch, Fidanza flywheel, 2.5" stainless exhaust, Ebay headers, 8mm sparkplug wires and Denso iridium sparkplugs, Rockspeed CAI, 17x8 wheels, 235/40 Goodyear eagle f1 as, Taroc japan sport discs and pads.
windofire

Post by windofire »

i gonna buy this engine, a guy in netherland has the curved IM incl fuelrails tb and so on, for only 150€ shipped. :)

any1 needs a kfze IM? ;)
Black Mx3 GS
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I would check the heads first.

And also under the valvecover.

If its a ZE is the first thing. And if the ZE has been treated as sh*t isn't worth anything.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
windofire

Post by windofire »

head code is kl31-1a1.
i will check the cams, when i see him tomorrow.

is there any ways to see if the engine is treated good?
Black Mx3 GS
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I would take a healthly DE over a hybrid unknown engine these days.

To see if the engine is treated good, take the valve cover off. If it looks like the silver picture it should be awesome (rebuilt lol), if it looks like the dark one, don't even think about. PRobably a very light golden colour is what you want. Take out a spark plug too to see if they look wet and oily. Dry is what you want!

The lighter the colour of oil, the better your chances in general.

1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I have 2 sets of heads(DE and ZE) that both look quite shiny. :wink:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
windofire

Post by windofire »

Hey guys.
i picked up the engine yesterday and it looked very nice. :)
it had the right numbers on the heads and cams and the guy who sold the engine, had been taking good care of his car.
in fact the only reason he sold it, was because he hit a deer.

Btw,
any1 knows if the engine mounts from a 323f ba will fit in a mx3?
if so i'll be very happy, cus then i dont need to take my own out to strenghten them. ;)
Black Mx3 GS
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I do not know the answer to the 323 question, although I highly doubt it is a yes. Sorry to be a downer on that front :(

Although, if you are swapping the engines already, you may as well pull the mounts out! :P
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

They probably will fit. The BA platform should be essentially the same as the other 323's (it houses a K series engine) and the K engine's all fit in all the BG/EC platforms so I'd be suprised if they didn't work.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”