a-holes

Off-Topic Discussions
Paragon

Re: a-holes

Post by Paragon »

i agree with sonic, and barry. new people should definitly search for what they need (hell, i can barely talk, i'm still new here, only been reading this board for a year, posting for a few months), and if they can't understand the answers they find, then they should ask questions. there would be less posts with replys telling people to search cluttering up the board (and the search function) if people actually USED it. i think newbies should start off like i did, just read until you feel comfortable with what you know about your car. i'm not saying i know everything, by far, but i feel that i do know quite a bit, and i try to use my knowledge to help, but if someone posts something like "does this turbo bolt on" or "how much nitrous (or nos, as some call it..grr..) can i use" when a few minutes of simple reading would save them the trouble, and all of us a lot of time. i don't think anyone should be afraid to ask questions, i just think that people need to try and learn then have all they want to know handed to them. it's not too hard to search, that's why it was created, so why not use it? sorry for the long post and the long rant, but i feel better now that i vented. :D
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

umm....could one of you fellas tell me how to get rid of the yellow color on my headlights?oh, and how to paint my taillights too?.......if its not too much trouble. :p
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

search :)
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghandi1981:<BR><STRONG><P>i have stayed up VERY late pretty much the past couple of nights reading almost every post here and at probetalk</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a good start. <P>Now repeat that process for a few years. That's what I know I've done, and some of the other guys here have done also.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Post by Guest »

everyone learns in differebt ways..u decide?<p>[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: simonmontclair ]
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

So you might as well cancel the forum and use this place as a reference library then. There are always new guys coming in here with what appears to be dumb questions to the vets. Hell if you've been on this thing for 2 years, you must have seen it all by now. So why are you guys on here? There are new things happening in the industry all of the time. This is where you guys can meet (on line) and discuss these topics. <BR>However, there are a bunch of newbies out there who just got their mx yesterday and want to know something about the car. So they find this sight and they ask questions. The vets answer with "search". Other newbies try to help out their fellow newbie! :D <P>one
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

This is why we have topic names right? People who are offended by a repeated topic should be able to tell rather quickly that this is not worth their time to read-respond.<P>What I would/will do is ask a question, if no one finds it worth their time to respond (a better option than the every-so-useful "search"). THEN I would search. <P>If stupid newbie questions (like minie probably) bother people, hey, don't answer, at all...<P>Just my .02 cents...
Blair Wendell<P>1993 GS SE. <BR>Black Headlights, Custom shifter+pedals<BR>more to follow...
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

And to the response, the reason jeff rarley posts is because he has left it up to me and dave to control the board due to is personal issues in his life with a new house and recently married. <BR>Secondly. If you read my posts I clearly stated why we say "Search" because us so called "vets" have created and set FAQ to answers all these questions and get tired of typing the same thing over and over again. Why are we here? To run the board of course. We as well have a big intrest and love for the MX-3 just as everyone here. Just because we ask the newbies to search before they ask is to not only cut down on repeditive posts, but to cut down on bandwidth. Bandwidth = $$. Donations are rare these days and we got to do what we can do. We even set up an online store to help support, which hasnt gone over well at all. Before you decide to down those who say search, try not only tyoing the same thing everyday, but pull some $$ out of your own pocket and donate, you'll change your views entirely. I completley understand that the newbies 1st reposnse is to ask, "whats the best intake", "will this motor work", "where can I get this", "what does it take to..." All asked about 10,000 times. I do understand that sometimes new things come about. Thats the point of this board, is to learn and create new ideas. <BR>I tell you what, walk into the library, and ask the librarian, "where can I find this (book name)?" I bet you she points to the card catalog or the computer. Same basic concept. "Search"<BR>Im not trying to say the newbies cannot ask a qustion, because its going to happen, thats the point. But If someone says "Search", it means there is an answer in the archive. Hell, if the archive didnt exhist, we might as well ask the same stuff every day, would you come back to the board if afer a week you saw the same stuff every day? I know I wouldnt.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>And to the response, the reason jeff rarley posts is because he has left it up to me and dave to control the board due to is personal issues in his life with a new house and recently married. <BR>Secondly. If you read my posts I clearly stated why we say "Search" because us so called "vets" have created and set FAQ to answers all these questions and get tired of typing the same thing over and over again. Why are we here? To run the board of course. We as well have a big intrest and love for the MX-3 just as everyone here. Just because we ask the newbies to search before they ask is to not only cut down on repeditive posts, but to cut down on bandwidth. Bandwidth = $$. Donations are rare these days and we got to do what we can do. We even set up an online store to help support, which hasnt gone over well at all. Before you decide to down those who say search, try not only tyoing the same thing everyday, but pull some $$ out of your own pocket and donate, you'll change your views entirely. I completley understand that the newbies 1st reposnse is to ask, "whats the best intake", "will this motor work", "where can I get this", "what does it take to..." All asked about 10,000 times. I do understand that sometimes new things come about. Thats the point of this board, is to learn and create new ideas. <BR>I tell you what, walk into the library, and ask the librarian, "where can I find this (book name)?" I bet you she points to the card catalog or the computer. Same basic concept. "Search"<BR>Im not trying to say the newbies cannot ask a qustion, because its going to happen, thats the point. But If someone says "Search", it means there is an answer in the archive. Hell, if the archive didnt exhist, we might as well ask the same stuff every day, would you come back to the board if afer a week you saw the same stuff every day? I know I wouldnt.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>AMEN<BR> :D
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

ive done some pretty hefty mods to my car and i still think i know jack squat compared to most of these guys/gals. ive def stayed up late reading posts. i piss my roommate off cause im always on the computer when he needs it. so just keep reading and im sure your questions will get answered.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
Vandal

Post by Vandal »

Definition or Irony:<P><I><B>Quoting</B></I> the entire article when the purpose of said article is to cut down on repetition, space, and bandwidth... lovely.<p>[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Vandal ]
Blair Wendell<P>1993 GS SE. <BR>Black Headlights, Custom shifter+pedals<BR>more to follow...
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

That's great! All that response and nothing on my proposed solution. And thanks Sonicxtacy02 for going to church 5 days a week and praying for us. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<BR>I don't have a problem with mx-3.com. I came in here and read a lot before I even joined and then read some more long before my first post. I still refuse to post sometimes because I'm not and expert on certain subjects and those that talk out of their a-- need to be told. <BR>However, I've given you two possible solutions that you have now neglected. <P>MOVE ON! THINK ABOUT IT. SOLVE THE PROBLEM IF THIS IS YOUR SITE. Don't just bicker and complain about poor vets and how retarded the newbies are. DO SOMETHING! <P>Sorry guys I'm an engeineer and my job is to solve problems. I can't stand complaining. Yes I have a woman go figure . . . [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>one [love for the mx-3]
EBUCKS

Post by EBUCKS »

So I see that after a few days there is still no response. Has this been closed? Have the newbies been let down yet again? <BR>I gave 2 suggestions and I have 2 more. <BR>There is a Moderator forum that I'm sure is only for moderators. Why not have a forum for Newbies to post. However, they cannot post in other forums until they become a full member. <BR>Or have one moderator deal with all newbie questions. <BR>If you guys were smart, you'd respond to the last one politically like, "Your idea. Here are the tools. You do it."<P>If Barry and David are too busy to respond to this still, then maybe Jeff can come out of retirement to attempt to lambaste me again like he did in a test post that I was trying, with a suggestion in mind.<P>Originally posted by EBUCKS:<BR>That sounds good BC. Thank you.<BR>For the site did you ever think of everyone hosting they're own page but on this site. So that when you go into they're profile, you see pics that they have and captions what not? <BR>one<P><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Obviously you have not spent the time to browse through the website, or else you wouldn't have asked that question. The Universal Owners Registry is basically what you are asking for. I admit I have not had the time to update it in the last few months, but it is there with over 500 Owner profiles.<P>Have a look through the site and you may find something interesting...<P>--------------------<P>Jeff Aycan - UBB Administrator
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Jeff wanst us to run the board the way it is. If you have any concers with the way its handled, send a suggestion to Jeff@mx-3.com.<BR>Maybe he can help you. We are not allowed to make any physical changes to the board or its layout. Jeff designed it and setup the layout. We can just ban/moderate, sorry.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EBUCKS:<BR><STRONG> Half a brain never killed anybody. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Half a brain kills people every day. DUI's are an excellent example.<P><BR>As an engineer, you clearly understand the lack of effeciency involved in "reinventing the wheel". For example, if you worked for GE and had to make a new turbine blade for a high altitude application, you would look for what people have done with turbine blades in low altitude applications, see if there have been any turbine blades specifically for high altitude use, and then plan your design phase around that [the <B>R</B> in <B>R&D</B>.]<P>When newbies come to the board and ask, "What all is involved in swapping a 2.5L KLZE?", I refer them to the proper resource: Searching this forum for ANY of their keywords [in this case, 2.5, KLZE or swap] or to the specialized post on just that topic in the V6 FAQ forum. You see the effiency of this process: namely, the veterans do not have to answer that question 3 times a day, and the newbie is pointed to a treasure trove of information on the topic, which will answer 99% of the questions he may have on the general topic he posted. Now, if the newbie reads all those posts, [and hopefully clicks some of the links in the sigs of people who've acutally swapped and have how-to's on their page] and still has a question such as, "Which KLZE's come with KL01 cams and which come with KL31 cams, and which would be better for a MX-3 with an automatic transmission", I and the other veterans/moderators will answer that question. By answering that question, we have helped our information database grow, so the next time somebody asks about using KL31 cams, they will find [by searching the forums and FAQ's]that the KL31 cams are better for higher RPM due to more lift and duration than the KL01 cams, but the KL01 cams have more torque, which is necessary for an Automatic MX-3 2.5L.<P><BR>There is no way of accurately limiting how long a person browses the board before they post. If somebody wasn't able to post right away, they'd more than likely forget about the board for a week or so, then come back and try to post their question again, without researching it. <P>The FAQ forums <B><I>ARE</B></I> the newbie forums. I've created the posts in the V6 forum at least to answer as many of the common questions to the highest degree of accuracy and completeness. If a newbie read all of those posts and still had a question that was not answered there, I have no problem with him or her posting in one of the technical forums. Now, if he can't read [generally due to laziness] what is clearly posted in great detail in the FAQ, I have no sympathy for that lazy, selfish, impatient person. Knowledge comes with time, as you clearly know as an engineer. If you went in to your first class your freshman year, and they started talking about thermal expansion of metals, phase diagrams, e^(2*pi*i), leminar flow, 3d modeling, and C++, you'd have no idea what hit you when you walked out of that class period. So, with the bulletin board format, we present the information in an easy-to-access format as possible. By doing this, the user can access information at his or her own speed. And if the information already in the "text" is not enough, the student is able to go right to the "professor" [one who's gone through exactly what he has, and is an expert on the said topic] for further clarification. But if you go into the professor's office asking what is Thermodynamics, he's going to laugh in your face and tell you to think about changing your major to business. <P>I hope this answered all your concerns and questions, addressing your suggestions and explaining the reason thing are run the way they are here.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “Off-Topic”