Stock airbox question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Len-Dogg

Re: Stock airbox question

Post by Len-Dogg »

Soon I will be getting a Ractive Heat Shield Air Filter (in red to match my car). Before that comes in I just went out to play around with my stock intake. I read this message thread, and then decided to take off the stock intake toob as several other people have done. I did get a bit of a more powerful sound coming out, which I am hoping will increase even further with the new air filter instead of the stock one. As for people wondering where to put the hood stand, here is what I did. When you take off the stock intake toob, you have two bolts and two washers left over. You can take one of those bolts and washers, and stick it in the hole where you had just taken it out of. Just put it in a little ways. Then you can slide your hood stand underneath the washer, and tighten it down some. Now it isn't going anywhere. Easy to do as long as you have a socket wrench in your car at all times! haha<p>Now a new thing, while I was in there I noticed that my "bumper intake" toob (the one on the right side of the stock air filter box) has come loose, so that it is not connected to whatever is below it. Would it make a difference to hook this back up, or should I just leave it considering that I am going to be taking the whole stock airbox out and putting my Ractive filter in soon? It seems kinda tight in there by the coolant reservoir.<p>Thanks,
Jason
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FroSTeD:
In my opinion, it only help slow down the airflow going to the airbox.<hr></blockquote><p>well in MY opinion, if you look at your front bumper, you can see an opening. that opening is how air will go into that "s" shaped plastic and rams air into your airbox. if you take that off, i think it'll hinder your performance since you're not getting the ram effect.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Well I took it off last summer and I have not noticed a lack of performance and maybe a LITTLE BIT more power BUT that might be only in my head. <p>The only thing I am sure about is that it gives a better sound to the car.<p>So it's pretty much a matter of opinion :)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”