Stock airbox question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
FroSTeD

Stock airbox question

Post by FroSTeD »

I was checking if my air filter was dirty this morning and I was wondering at the same time if I can get ride of the thing where it gets the air from? I mean, it does a "S" before even going into the air box. Would it be dangerous to remove that piece of plastic? Would the car be more responsive after I remove that piece?<P>The only disadvantage I see is that I'll have to find another place to put the stick that hold the hood up :)<P>(It would also look ugly with that big hole open in the airbox)<P>Thank you for your answers!<p>[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: FroSTeD ]
killerpickle

Re: Stock airbox question

Post by killerpickle »

Umm, isn't that to cool the battery? I'd probably leave it unless you need room...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

No no, it's the piece of plastic at the top of the radiator. There's an opened bay at the left of it and it goes IN the black air box. There is also some piece of felt at both extremities.<P>In my opinion, it only help slow down the airflow going to the airbox.<P>In fact, it's the thing that bring air to the airbox.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah you can remove it although if your going to the effort you might as well get a aftermarket intake or make a intake of your own.. here are a few pics of my custom intakes for my 94.. if you have a ealier model your maf will be diffrent.<P> Image <P> Image <P> Image <P>There is a TON of plastic you can rid yoruself of from under the hood.. hope this helps
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Yep thank you!<P>And as you can see from my description, I've a 95 RS.<P>I'm too lasy to return outside and check under the hood but I think there is 3 cables going in or near the black air box. There's one bigger than the others on the tube where the air is filtered, there is one small at the left of the box and another at the right-under the box. (?)<P>Am I right? What does each of them are doing and what would I need to do if I want to replace the airbox by a custom job? I think that the MAF is the one where the air is filtered but I'm not sure, only guessing.
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Hey I removed it yesterday and went to rent a movie.<P>I closed the radio and opened 1 window and the sound it does is totally different. I mean, with the piece of plastic the car is sooo quiet but when you remove it you get a louder sound. When you are at low RPM and you push the gaz pedal (somewhere near of 2000rpm) it does a nice sound! As for the acceleration and response, I can't really tell you since I have never went to the track with my car but it seems to be a little more responsive.<P>Anyone else tried it? It's a free mod after all ;)<P>Now I gotta take off the 3 rivets (don't know what's the name in english so let's go for bolts) and put the bar holder back in place. Is there any easy way to remove those bolts or I need to scrap them to remove them?
QPDZARO

Post by QPDZARO »

I was wondering the same thing that you were about taking off the plastic ram induction tube. let me tell you what it dose, because I had mine off of my car for 3 months. It runs better when it is cold!!! if you catch a early morning commute like I do, the power response is different. How Ever it works in reverse if the weather is warm. On a hot day, not only is it warm outside, but your getting all that hot air that is the engine compartment now... (thats my commute home in CALIFORNIA) then the car runs like $hit... all and all I would offer leaving it on or getting a custom intake like I did <BR>good luck :roll:
juicy j

Post by juicy j »

If you are putting on an intake, I would definitely leave the black piece that carries air to that area on. I took off my airbox, and just went to adavance auto parts and bought a filter. The filter fit right on without any other materials. The black thing shoots air right into my intake. I also have a 1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS.<P> theoyork7@cswebmail.com
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Leave it on, mostly for the hood attatchment. <BR>You should get a cold air intake if you're going to detatch the intake from the filter box. Just removing the intake tube will increase the temp of intake air, and reduce advantages from the ram effect. Searches will yeild a lot of info.<P>As for the function of the hoses: there's the long tube that you've already played with-intake. there's another hose that goes toward the bumper-intake as well. the fitting that comes from the top of the box goes to the MAF. Mass Air Flow meter measures the amount of air going to the engine for fuel monitering, etc. After that the next hoses are for PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventolation reduces emisions. There's also EGR hoses, for reducing emisions & improving gas milage. <BR>Unless you are really racing and have a good understanding of everything, you should probably leave everything after and including the MAF alone.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

THe rivets have to be drilled out and the hood prop bracket can be moutned down with a single screw into one of the readaliy available holes.. AS for a CAI's i would suggest it as of it makes a good diffrence
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Ok here's the straight deal. I did this a long time ago just to open up the intake a bit. My car runs great in all conditions so far. For a free mod, cant complain.<BR>The snorkel inlet is pretty small, but when removed, the airbox inlet is about 3x4"<BR>Spending the extra pennies for a custom boob-tube is up to you, but the air is still gonna be drawing from inside the engine compartment anyway. If ya wanted to get cooler air w/o spending your next paycheck, get some 3-4" heater duct & run a tube thru to the front for cool air, there's a basic decsription on one of the main MX-3.com pages. Up to you what you want to do tho, different driving styles will yield different results.<P>There are a couple cables that run next to the snorkel, but zip ties will hold them to the top beam just fine. If you have an air-bag, the cable for the impact sensor runs over the top of the box near the hood latch assy., be VERY carefull when playin with it, you really dont want to know how much a new bag costs,...<p>[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Freq2002 ]
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

your best bet is to take out the whole system<BR>from the mafs down but leave the first ram intake on not only does it hold your prop but all that air running on top of your engine cools things down. as for the new intake system (replacment) you would be best off running piping down and puting a filter on the end,that will suck up cool air and no heat from the engine. if you just put a popcharger on, (attach filter to mafs) then you will get heat from the engine going right back into the engine :( another option is to run piping into your driver side fender well, cut a hot in the well and throw a filter on the end, that will get cooler air but you have more of a chance of sucking dirt/watter into your engine with out a heat sheild for the filter. but i don't know much about that kind of intake
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

your best bet is to take out the whole system<BR>from the mafs down but leave the first ram intake on not only does it hold your prop but all that air running on top of your engine cools things down. as for the new intake system (replacment) you would be best off running piping down and puting a filter on the end,that will suck up cool air and no heat from the engine. if you just put a popcharger on, (attach filter to mafs) then you will get heat from the engine going right back into the engine :( another option is to run piping into your driver side fender well, cut a hole in the well and throw a filter on the end, that will get cooler air but you have more of a chance of sucking dirt/watter into your engine with out a heat sheild for the filter. but i don't know much about that kind of intake
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

yeah freq2002, you're right...restuffing an airbag can be at least 1000 dollars...one of the installers at a stereo shop about a half hour from my shop thought someone kicked him in the side when he was putting in an alarm and the side airbag went off...that's why i'd disable any airbags if i had them, i don't want a 200 mph bag coming at my face...lol
tinkertank

Post by tinkertank »

I took mine off because metal fatique had sheared one of the retaining bolts off and the stupid thing was rattling. To solve the hood prop holder problem: I drilled out the rivets for the holder attached to the intake, and then bolted that directly to the spot where the air intake used to be. I also put in an K&N air filter. So... I basically got rid of a broken piece, retained the functionality of the hood prop clip, and expanded my intake to almost twice the size. Surprisingly, I did notice a throatier sound fron the car! Big improvement! My next project is designing a new intake that comes from outside the engine compartment.<BR>-Cheers, Martin :D
MX-3 - 4 cyl. ('92)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”