Coolant Hose...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RogueWolf

Coolant Hose...

Post by RogueWolf »

Driving home from work on Tuesday, I might have aggressively taken a corner a bit too hard.
I snapped an archaic and crumbling plastic hose connector between the block hose, and the heater core.
(The hose comes out from the block just under the throttle body.) Resulting in a "Nice" white cloud of coolant smoke when it hit the exhaust pipe.

Now, my hands aren't small enough to get behind the intake manifold and do the work of replacing the snapped coupling. But my buddy's a mechanic, and if I can get it to his shop, well... problem solved.

My question to the guru's here, is can I just Plug the Line and drive it over, or will there be back flow through the heater core, and come out the other side?

Might just be faster to get it towed... :-( Which seems stupid for a $2 coupling.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Coolant Hose...

Post by SuperK »

you can plug the line, no harm no foul driving it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Nope... turns out the coolant then flows backwards... leaks out just as bad from the other side...
davmac

Post by davmac »

Definitely requires you bypass the heater core. Input and output hoses to the heater core need to be tied together. If you never needed heat one hose loop would be a permanent fix.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

its an easy fix, just pop off your intake manifold and take some channel locks to whats left of the quick disconnect then clamp the hose right to the heater core outlets, thats how mine is setup. With the intake out of the way you have loads of room
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”