MX-3 SCCA Improved Touring Club Racer Project

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Frost881
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MX-3 SCCA Improved Touring Club Racer Project

Post by Frost881 »

Josh wrote:Very nice, great progress thus far.

If you swap in a BP ecu (even the SOHC) it will give you a higher red line, from 6500 to 7200 :) its plug and play.
ORLY now? WHATother ad advantages does the BP ECU give me?

Ther reason I ask:

2012 GCR rules for club racing "Improved Touring Class"

The engine management computer may be altered or
replaced. A throttle position sensor and its wiring may be
added or replaced. A MAP or MAF sensor and its wiring
may be added. Other existing sensors, excluding the stock
air metering device, may be substituted for equivalent
units.

Smell that? thats the stench of possability!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Haha, what you can do is run the BP ecu, it timing is virtually identical. It will want to add a little more fuel but that's about it. I ran a BP ECU on my B6 for several years. That along with a BP VAF... Mmm. Or you could find a 2nd gen RX7 VAF, thats the biggest one you can run, OE wise, and you can increase that air flow nicely.
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

Josh wrote:Haha, what you can do is run the BP ecu, it timing is virtually identical. It will want to add a little more fuel but that's about it. I ran a BP ECU on my B6 for several years. That along with a BP VAF... Mmm. Or you could find a 2nd gen RX7 VAF, thats the biggest one you can run, OE wise, and you can increase that air flow nicely.
The rules state that the stock mass air metering device must be used, either that or its a stock style piece, but i dont really think there would be enough of a difference between the two that anyone owuld notice if it was indeed illegal, which i dont think it is.

Know of anyone sellin an ECU?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Frost881 wrote:
Josh wrote:Haha, what you can do is run the BP ecu, it timing is virtually identical. It will want to add a little more fuel but that's about it. I ran a BP ECU on my B6 for several years. That along with a BP VAF... Mmm. Or you could find a 2nd gen RX7 VAF, thats the biggest one you can run, OE wise, and you can increase that air flow nicely.
The rules state that the stock mass air metering device must be used, either that or its a stock style piece, but i dont really think there would be enough of a difference between the two that anyone owuld notice if it was indeed illegal, which i dont think it is.

Know of anyone sellin an ECU?
i have a BP09 ECU, i think i have an RX7 VAF too but i'm in canada, if your interested PM me
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

PM'd
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Awsome thread man... I am looking forward to seeing how you do when you get it up and racing...

You'll really want to swap out that brake fluid for something better like ATE super blue.. Also hopefully you have plans for some portfield pads or such.... You'll need it on the track...
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

crazycanadian wrote:Awsome thread man... I am looking forward to seeing how you do when you get it up and racing...

You'll really want to swap out that brake fluid for something better like ATE super blue.. Also hopefully you have plans for some portfield pads or such.... You'll need it on the track...
As i said earlier in the thread the O'murrays stuff was just what i used to flush the old nasty junk outta there, so eventually there will be a better spec brake fluid makin its way into the car.

ATE super blue is actually what i use in my 6

The pads that are on there right now are actually CobaltRace pads, http://www.cobaltfriction.com/ so they will more than suffice, though i must admit to being partial to hawk pads (run the HPS's on my 6 and though they definetly felt the heat they have stood up to track day use on a car which isn't exactly a lightweight)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Just remember that when running a RX7 VAF you have to retune it. there is a write up on Club Protege on how to do this. It is an OE part so I would not think that it would be against the rules.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Josh wrote:Just remember that when running a RX7 VAF you have to retune it. there is a write up on Club Protege on how to do this. It is an OE part so I would not think that it would be against the rules.
i sent him a link in PM's but just in case anyone else is wondering about this same thing i'll post the link here.
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... 7+vaf+tune
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I am excited to see what kinds of gains a 1.6 SOHC will see with a BP ECU and a RX7 VAF N/A.. 10 15 hp gain maybe. If you can do it, I would run solid intake piping to the OE air box, the ribs in the intake are what are limiting to the airflow.
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

Josh wrote:I am excited to see what kinds of gains a 1.6 SOHC will see with a BP ECU and a RX7 VAF N/A.. 10 15 hp gain maybe. If you can do it, I would run solid intake piping to the OE air box, the ribs in the intake are what are limiting to the airflow.
its allowable within the rules, i'm curious to see whats in there as far as gains myself actually

As far as the piping goes that sounds like a pretty good idea, i still hafta locate a stock airbox though ><
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

guess what time it is?!

Yeppers, its update time!

As i've had limited time again latley my to work on the MX-3 proggress has been slow, however heres what i've been able to accomplish most recently:

The inegreted pan stiffener is back on
The exhaust downpipe is back installed
Fixed 2 brakelights that were out and re-installed the rear hatch trim
car has 4 wheels installed again
Removed the seat to swap it out for a different one (more on that in a minute)
Stopped up a couple a minor leaks
attempted to put the shift linkage back in (more on that in a minute as well)
removed some of the stickers that i wanted removed
picked up my Hankook r comps (thank you paul @ Team illuminata!)
i found out that the electric fan is inded functional

Thats the good news...tha bad news is:

I discovered the drivers side rear wheel well has about a fist size place that some new metal needs to be welded in...yay for michigan cancer.

The power steerign fluid looks like its about the consistency of molassis, so that needs to be flushed

The shift linkage parts i ordered need to go back because after looking at the parts i got from MAZDASPEED, the diagram for said parts in the parts catalog, and the diagram in the service manual for the car, i determined that there are parts of the shift linkage (namley the bushing that the actual shifter rests in) that are not serviceable...sooooo as a result i'll be sinding the parts for the linkage that i got from Mazda back and i've now ordered an entire shift linkage from them. ><

More costly but when it arrives i'll be able to just bolt it right in and as a result i'll finally be able to put the car back on 4 wheels and back on the driveway so that the 6 no longer has to sit out in the cold.

This cars been a real case of good news bad news latley, seems like i fix 1 thing then it either leaks/dosent function the way it should, or i find 2 more places or pieces that are broked or need attention. It's the nature of the beast when your working on cars of this mileage/age, so staying positive and haveing some fun with it is important...hence why i did this:

its a temporary solution until i get the new seat mounted up, but hey it works. And the best part is i now have a cupholder!

Because Racecar!!!

-Matt
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: I have a LOT of reading to do in this log, but I love the pictures, and enthusiasm! I recently got my autocross MX-3 going again after a wreck over a year ago. I thought about being competitive, but I just do it for fun.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Good update!

The shift linkage parts i ordered need to go back because after looking at the parts i got from MAZDASPEED, the diagram for said parts in the parts catalog, and the diagram in the service manual for the car, i determined that there are parts of the shift linkage (namley the bushing that the actual shifter rests in) that are not serviceable...sooooo as a result i'll be sinding the parts for the linkage that i got from Mazda back and i've now ordered an entire shift linkage from them. ><
Have you gone to Corksports website and checked out the Bronze shifter bushings?
http://www.corksport.com/corksport-bron ... hings.html

They have another set as well that replaced the stationary pivot point. the section with a solid pin, it replaces that with a bolt and bushings. I just purchased both sets and Highly recommend over OE plastic bushing.
Frost881

Post by Frost881 »

Sooooooooo, it may seem like I gave up on this project....but that is most certainly not the case! Head over to https://www.facebook.com/teameffortmotorsports?ref=hl to see how the build proggressed! :D

This should give ya a clue....

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”