Sleeper6's Gold 92GS Updated paint pics!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Sleeper6's Gold 92GS

Post by Sleeper6 »

So ordered a few more parts through work, most important a blue Kevlar timing belt and also just finished my side project to eliminate the nasty rapping of another failed tb tensioner (this motor will be silent or else :mrgreen: ) :

Oh and Ive seen all the turbo/sc builds, but this on is soon to be, DRAGON powered! (jk had to post atleast one pic of the gf's baby beardies)
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

I still think I want one of those dragons.
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

The last of what I needed for the assembly came in at last... So far it looks like Ill have a free bay in the shop Nov 9th, cant wait!

btw meg said she'ld sell one of the beardies to you Aaron for $85 instead of selling it to country max if your interested :D
Last edited by Sleeper6 on November 6th, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

win :mrgreen:
93 GS red (wrecked)
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Finally found my elusive TB spacer, now waiting on the postage man :mrgreen:
93 GS red (wrecked)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love the 2´s. I tried to take the same picture of all 2´s on the speedo on my MX6 but i didnt have my phone on me :crying: :crying:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

@kulluminati777 - yea I love that pic, had to plan it out a couple weeks ahead of time to match the trip, only bad part was when it finally hit was on my drive home on the expressway... atleast my flashers work!

Also, good news! My tb spacer made it so my G4 Intake manifold is a 100% bolt on affair no grinding needed, transmissions at the shop, flywheels ground for reinstall of the clutch, heads are all done, now if my fingers are crossed my machinist will have the bottom end back together with the heads attached so I can pick it up tomorrow night and put in this weekend!
93 GS red (wrecked)
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

So motor is officially in, spent the weekend doing so just to end up with another basket of headaches. On start up she built pressure but would bleed down on warm up - que an oil pump swap from the old motor ( old pump was only ~20k old ) and she now holds pressure. Thats a fun process that Im soo glad Ive gotten to do twice now with the motor in the car. :roll: Now she runs but holds a scary low oil pressure of 10ish psi at the 8-900RPM mark however she ran at a steady 47-48psi at cruising rpms 2.8-3k on the way home (25ish mile express way hike) Thankfully the motor is quiet, shifter is tight, and the gears are doing fine but until Ive run it for a bit Im still hesitant to get on it and test out the new powerband.
93 GS red (wrecked)
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

So heres where it started.. pulled into the shop last saturday at say roughly 4am, ready for a long day.....

Motor unloaded, waiting on prep to swap waterpump, belts etc. In hindsight I should have grabbed the oil pump while i was at it...

Hood/wheels and fluids off, ready to start the teardown

Top end torn down, much easier to remove with out the intake manifold and install this way for sure btw, 2 mins with a 12mm impact makes for short work, the header bolts on the other hand, if i do this again Im getting the studs welded in.

Had to use the proper throttle body and spacer combo...

Just a few more factory part #s so I dont loose them, I refuse to cheap out on oil filters, factory where it counts.

Reminder shot of the G4 vacuum routing...
93 GS red (wrecked)
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

And this is the end result, minus tearing it apart again on monday and putting it back together again on tuesday to swap out the oil pump, silly me for trying to reuse the original one with only replacing the detent spring...

The end result of all this, a motor with no timing belt covers until I feel more comfortable with this 8psi oil pressure at idle... :(

This is where a grinder becomes useful, edge down the throttle cam to allow for clearance at the brake booster due to the phenolic spacers, however I still think this was easier then grinding away endlessly at the throttle body and intake and risk a dodgy seal.

After a bit of test driving my cel has still been bothering me with its egr code, this was my first attempt with a sensor removed from the old egr and taped at half mast, works brilliantly.. ..provided the motor is at proper temp above 4k so I still have some trouble shooting to do here and im open to ideas...

And a quick glamor shot from a saturday test drive yesterday.. Aarons car kept terrorizing the poor Ferrari with its exhaust tho :lol:
93 GS red (wrecked)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

8 PSI oil pressure eh? That doesn't sound so great…

Engine is looking top notch, hows the roll cage treating ya?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

RobMinhas wrote:8 PSI oil pressure eh? That doesn't sound so great…

Engine is looking top notch, hows the roll cage treating ya?
Loving it, actually alot more now after seeing the one that jaydog had as every part of that one was bolted together, I feel more comfortable knowing this ones cross brace is welded solid.

As for the oil pressure I am still on the fence, personally I was hoping for higher but I plan on switching up from 5w30 to 10w30 in 400miles after the break in to see if that helps at all, otherwise it hasnt made any scary noises yet with about 150 miles under her.
93 GS red (wrecked)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Any discernible difference in the feel of the car with the cage? Are you gonna lay down some carpet or anything for the rear or just leaving her bare?

Even with the oil viscosity 8 seems low enough that it would worry me, might even be your oil pump(knock on wood, that's a shitty job to do in a car). Wonder if the oil cooler is acting up, k series motors like to do that right?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

RobMinhas wrote:Any discernible difference in the feel of the car with the cage? Are you gonna lay down some carpet or anything for the rear or just leaving her bare?

Even with the oil viscosity 8 seems low enough that it would worry me, might even be your oil pump(knock on wood, that's a shitty job to do in a car). Wonder if the oil cooler is acting up, k series motors like to do that right?
The Roll bar is the best upgrade I think Ive done yet, I take the expressway to work and theres a few roundabouts in our neighbor hood now and you would always feel the car twist up a bit when you went into them hard. Now I take the on ramps that much harder because the chassis flex is gone, overall it just feels planted, now if I only had some proper rubber under her. The interior will be cleaned out and bare from the doors back, Im a fan of the track car look anyways gives a bit more of that serious vibe 8) Our honda can be the sensible car these days. :lol:

As for the oil pump the one I swapped over only has about 20k on her so Im hoping thats not the case, doing it twice in the car now is a real pita. Atleast now the oil pressure doesnt keep bleeding off like it did on my first test start. She would start at 70 then by the time she was warmed up you could watch it fall, now it holds steady but just scary low amounts. 8@850rpm 15@1.2k 44-47@3k but she is quiet.
93 GS red (wrecked)
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

"And a quick glamor shot from a saturday test drive yesterday.. Aarons car kept terrorizing the poor Ferrari with its exhaust tho :lol:"

The alarm on the Ferrari was so touchy that my exhaust set it off. :lol:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”