NorCalMX3's 1992 MX-3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
NorCalMX3

NorCalMX3's 1992 MX-3 GS

Post by NorCalMX3 »

I decided i wanted to make my own worklog, complete with my automatic to manual swap, should anyone need a guide of sorts. this swap was finished successfully a few months back but i just now made a log. But first a bit of a background about her:

After I had fully restored my RS, i began a frantic search for a GS, i wanted this car above all else as my next project. I looked at many MX-3 GS project cars that i came across, mostly on Craigslist. none of em seemed to be a good candidate for what i was looking for (most of em ran, haha). and since i was in a small town i found myself making more trips to Sacramento than i would've liked. Finally i got desperate, I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist specifically for a project MX-3 GS with a 5 speed. as luck would have it, i received a call the very next day, and to add to my luck, this person lived in my small suburban hometown. He told me he had a running, but not drivable MX-3 GS. he told me he saw that i was looking for a 5-speed, but he told me the only thing wrong with it was that the auto tranny went out and that if i was up for it, could do the swap, but he had no such time. after some prior research, (thanks mostly to you guys here, actually all thanks!), i said i'd pay 400 cash for it, and the very same day, we strapped it to my moms dolly and towed it home!

The guy who owned it was on the ground laughin when i first came to look at it in my own MX-3 RS. he was very nice and actually cut us a great deal on his original asking price because he knew by the sparkle in my eye and my current mx-3 that i deserved it.

ATX to MTX Swap:

Car and Engine the day i brought her home:

After I got the car, I set out on my quest to find all the parts needed for this swap. Thank goodness for my local wrecking yards, ironically they got their first MX-3 GS with a 5 speed they've seen in a few years. we got all the parts needed for 600 smackers! This is list included:
-the transmission (gear-box and bell housing)
-Right and left axle from the manual donor, as well as the half-shaft on the passenger side
-shifter linkages, as well as the shifter itself (both static and pivoting linkage)
-the motor mount number 4 (which is the one that is attached to the transmission on the drivers side on top of the gearbox, its different for the MTX)
-slave cylinder
-clutch petal assembly
-Starter (different for the manual)

All's I needed to get myself was:
-The Flywheel
-Clutch Set (Disk, pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearings)

I started by removing everything that was above the AT, including the battery and its tray, and the intake assembly (everything before the Throttle body):

I also unplugged everything that leads into the Transmission, all the sensors and relays that led to the starter and everything else that is directly attached to the AT (there was A LOT compared to the MTX, haha). FYI: KEEP THE WIRE HARNESS that you pulled out of the AT, just set it somewhere safe for now.

I then went inside the car and removed the Auto shifter, this was very easy, just unscrewed things till it popped out :D

I left the middle area disassembled so i could easily work the Manual shifter into place later.

Next up: Clutch Petal! For this I removed the drivers seat and laid down on my back so i could get under the dash and work my magic. i removed the middle joint for the steering column because it made things a bit easier to play with. keep working until you have removed the entire petal assembly! for this, i just used a petal assembly that already had both the brake and clutch petal to make things easier. I didn't need to do anything with the gas petal.

Then I started to reassemble the new petal assembly pretty easy, I made sure the clutch cylinder made it thru the firewall for when i hook up the master cylinder later.

After that, i had the adequate bolt ups for the Clutch Master cylinder provided by the petal assembly, which i took the libery of installing (after removing the gold plate that stood in its place). remove the rubber plug in the brake fluid case and attach it to the CMC

now it's time for the really fun stuff, the axles and removal of the AT. these are the only two major things i have left. first i removed the main nut on the spindle assembly (this was the biggest obsticle i have ever encountered, i couldn't torque it off, and nothing worked not even impact wrenches, so i ended up dremeling the nut off, i didn't need to worry about damaging the axles cuz they're coming out anyways).

after this the axles came out pretty easily, and the half-shaft had three bolts to remove.

Now the Automatic Transmission, for this I had to put a jack under the engine to support it cause i removed the entire driver's side support on the engine, as well as the black crossmember. then i just removed all the bolts that attached the AT to the engine, and slowly pulled it out from underneath, while at this point, i also took off the torque converter:

Then I added the pilot bearing to my refurbished flywheel that i purchased and added the clutch kit, this was hard because none of the proper bolts were present from the old AT so I had to go out and buy some, make sure they are strongly rated bolts! I mounted the new clutch assembly and flywheel:

after this, i added the throw-out bearing to the bell housing and hoisted the MT into its place, i suggest adding the number 4 mount before doing this so you can fit the mounts on the tranny into the holes:

Tighten all the bolts that attach the MT to the engine and reassemble all the mounting brackets and crossmembers that were removed before. add the starter (you may need some sort of spacer) and plug it back in.

Next i added the shifter linkages, i shoved them in from inside the car on the passenger side and bolted in the shifter:

Then i put in the new axles and reassembled the spindle assembly, and added the new nuts

next i located the wire harness that was still attached to the car, i jumped these two plugs right here, this jump is required to start the car with the new MTX:

then i reassembled everything that was left (the intake and the battery), the car started up fine and its been more than a pleasure to drive in these last few months (i also got crazy with some engine enamel :D).

---------------------------------------------

Accord Side Skirt Mod (Not My Idea; Someone else's... not to sure who's)

okay, this is a little side skirt mod that really flows nicely with the GS lip. for this I needed:

- Side Skirts from a 94 honda accord (there are more hondas with em but thats what i used)

- An electric drill, with a small and large drill bit, as well as a phillips attachment

- a regular philips screwdriver

- metal-grade screws (14)

- Washers (14)

- Hack saw

- Black or Clear silicon (if you wish to mold it to the mudflaps)

the First step is to cut off the excess skirt (there will be roughly a foot, give or take a few inches, of excess). After this, if you wish to paint it, you may do so.

The next step is to drill a pilot hole in the very back of the skirt (under the very top lip) as well as in the sheet metal underneath that car (where you drill the pilot hole is completly to your taste, if you wish to have it under the car more, then put the hole further back).

Next take your metal grade screw and use the drill to drill it into the metal, creating a path for the screw to follow, then back the screw out. after that, drill a quarter inch hold into the underside of the flap, this will allow you to get a screwdriver in there to tighten the screw, because a drill is simply too big to get back there. Like so:

Take a washer and the screw, and begin to screw it in place, you cannot use a drill here, you must use just a phillips screwdriver, use the quarter inch hole to get the phillips under the flap. after tightening it down, you now have the back of the skirt mounted, repeat this process so you have four total screws holding it to the car (any less, and there will be a lot of sagging).

After you have the entire skirt mounted to the car, you will notice that the underside of the skirt sagswhat you must do from here is take the hacksaw, and cut flaps that you will use to bolt up onto the underside of the car, three should do the trick, but four would be better. next, create pilot holes in these flaps, as well as the car itself. drill the metal screws into place with washers this is about what it should look like:

After you have all four flaps drilled in, you may wish to cut off all the excess skirt on the underside with your hacksaw.

If you would like to leave your front mudflaps on, you will have to custom cut the skirt in the front. dont worry about perfection, because after you have a rough fit, you can use clear or black silicon (depending on what you painted it) to mold it to the front flap and hide the probable slop cut, like so:

All finished:

-------------------------------------------

Current
after the swap and a few months of random things added to her, including:
-Accord Side Skirts
-black painted GS lip, mud flaps and side skirts
-black altezzas
-clear turn indicators
-grant steering wheel
-white face indigo gauges

Last edited by NorCalMX3 on February 10th, 2008, 10:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
Limegreen mx-3

Re: NorCalMX3's 1992 MX-3 GS

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i bet that auto tranny was heavy

Nice looking MX-3 u got
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

this is what i get to look forward to for this winter: The KLZE Build and swap! Picked it up today, 07-13-08. Thanks 2fazed for hooking me up. and Happy birthday to myself!

not too sure if i plan to put it in my current GS or just invest in another to put it in, but for now, this is what i have, i'll start a worklog of this swap when i get around to it...

1992 MX-3 GS:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Nice work!
Thanks for the sideskirt writeup.
I'm going to do it, if it improves aerodynamics.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
npspears

Post by npspears »

Very cool man. I couldn't believe how clean the v6 mx-3 looked, esp. for that price. Looking forward to future mods.
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

love ur work log bro cool. thanks for ur walk threw on the at to mt swap will be helpful to me ! thanks :2thumbsup:
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

Well I'm back. I hope no one forgot about me... Or maybe no one really knew me to begin with. Sorry to bump my own thread!

Nearly 3-4 years ago this White GS you've seen in the thread took a rather large metaphorical 's---'. At the time I neither had the time, money, or means to even begin thinking about a K8 to KL swap. I had to put this project on a near indefinite backburner while focusing on other priorities (A la 'real life'). Because I couldn't drive my baby, I had to find something else that ran for the time being. I settled with... drumroll... a Honda Prelude (Don't hate me!). I knew the Prelude would be a 'for-the-time-being' until I found out how I would get my GS back and better than ever.

Because I'm still renting property and have no permanent residence, I didn't want to work on her in case things took longer than expected or otherwise (also not having a garage). My father moved onto a piece of property a couple years ago that also had no garage, this is where the GS was left to rot for nearly 4 years. FINALLY We built a modest shed where I can live my dream and wrench away... And now my vision of nearly 7 years (when I first got my red RS), is finally coming into fruition.

After being on hiatus for a number of years due to the entity known as 'Real Life'. I present to you... The beginning of a K8 to KL-ZE swap!

Just got backed into the newly built shed:

Beginning the removal:
1992 MX-3 GS:
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

sweet I just did my ZE swap as well and passed smog. I hope all goes well with the transplant :mrgreen:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

kulluminati777 wrote:sweet I just did my ZE swap as well and passed smog. I hope all goes well with the transplant :mrgreen:
Smog... How'd you pass? Give me your secrets...
1992 MX-3 GS:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

well i didnt ever see if the engine would pass on its own because before the swap i took my K8 in and it was a gross polluter and i didnt feel like dealing with that mess and going again :shock: :shock:

I bought a new carb legal catalytic converter (which im sure you have one already) because my car originally didnt have one. Its from new jersey. So it abides by the rest of the worlds emission standards :lol: :lol:

Then i went in with 1/4 tank of gas and a gallon of denatured alcohol from home depot in the tank. It passed with crazy low numbers.

I do have my EGR bolted up to my ZE just in case that didnt work. All i have to do is put the K8 cpu back on and hook up the K8 mani so the EGR will funtion properly.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Wow, back from the dead!

I can't believe I haven't seen this WL before, I'm really digging that accord side skirt idea, if I didn't already have full lengths I'd be all over that.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

RobMinhas wrote:Wow, back from the dead!

I can't believe I haven't seen this WL before, I'm really digging that accord side skirt idea, if I didn't already have full lengths I'd be all over that.

honda products on a MX3 FTW :wink:
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

kulluminati777 wrote:well i didnt ever see if the engine would pass on its own because before the swap i took my K8 in and it was a gross polluter and i didnt feel like dealing with that mess and going again :shock: :shock:

I bought a new carb legal catalytic converter (which im sure you have one already) because my car originally didnt have one. Its from new jersey. So it abides by the rest of the worlds emission standards :lol: :lol:

Then i went in with 1/4 tank of gas and a gallon of denatured alcohol from home depot in the tank. It passed with crazy low numbers.

I do have my EGR bolted up to my ZE just in case that didnt work. All i have to do is put the K8 cpu back on and hook up the K8 mani so the EGR will funtion properly.
What heads did you use? cams? I've heard of so many different combinations... I want the best while still being able to get this thing to pass California emissions.
1992 MX-3 GS:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I have a cold air intake but for smog purposes i used the K8 intake. It fit the millenia intake manifold like a glove. After inspection the CAI goes back on.

I have KL31 cams, KL31 heads and KL36 ECU. All on during smog. So i guess a JDM engine is just as clean as a california spec one.

NGK wires and ZE specific spark plugs. I have a external coil and HEI...im not sure if all that provided a better spark for a cleaner burn but the tech kinda gave me a hard time but i had Carb stickers for both so he didnt ask too much.

I am running the stock exhaust manifolds though. So my ZE is pretty restricted exhaust wise. :shrug:

I was thinking headers but im not sure yet seems they only provide a few ponies and its only at the top end of the power band. I know what i may plan on is running a straight pipe and "preserve" my CAT so its like new on my next inspection.
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

OOOOOkay. So I finally got my mazda back from my dad's property. I recently purchased a home and things have been crazy, as I'm sure you can imagine. I haven't given up on my dream but damn how the tides can change. Updates as of this weekend. I bought a Ram 1500 a couple months ago (another story) but it finally allowed me to tow the mazda from my hometown to my new home a couple hours away.

I'm finally free to do exactly what I set out to do 4+ years ago. We all know how life can be though amirite? Anyways just this weekend alone I've been able to make massive headway on my KLZE swap, along with a Guinness?:

During that time what have I been driving? I feel like I've betrayed my Mazda family but here she is. My *cough* Honda *cough* Del Sol. I probably could have got a lot more headway on the Mazda but I'll be the first to admit I caught the Honda bug.

If anyone is curious about the Del Sol's log, you can see it here: http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662

AAAAAAAnyways, So ready to get this 3 back on the road. Tired of being just another Honda Driver.
Last edited by NorCalMX3 on July 21st, 2014, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 MX-3 GS:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”