The "Quick Question" Thread (please search first)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Re: The "Quick Question" Thread (please search first)

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Hey Ryan, here's a weird one for ya, maybe it's just because I'm paranoid, but figured I'd ask anyway...

Engine runs fine, but it shakes. I know there are 4 pistons and a lot of other parts moving when it runs, but it's a very noticeable rumble - when my stick is in neutral, you can almost watch it shake back and forth. Again, I might just be paranoid, but I'd kinda like to find out why it's doing this. I suspect some sort of build up on the 1st or 4th pistons, you think a compression test would help me out any?
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

A compression test would be a good place to start. You can also visually inspect the front and rear engine mounts. If they've decayed enough they won't stop the engine from moving like they're supposed to.

The stock idle spec is somewhere around 700 RPM IIRC
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So Im changing my alternator out, and I've removed the bolts, wires, connectors and what have you. Just wondering how to get the alty out of my engine bay. I've got the b6 DOHC, there doesn't appear to be enough room above with the AC and PS lines, and not enough below with the catalytic converter in the way. Do I have to remove something else? Am I a complete dunce and am missing something super obvious?
EDIT: Figured it out, had to muscle some vac lines out of the way, now just gotta figure out the vac line plumbing.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I finally figured out my vac lines, huge pain in the a-- but with some day light I managed to do it fine.

New problem though, start car and it dies right away.

Seems like when I was dicking around with the vacuum lines I managed to unseat one of the injectors, when I started and revved it to try to keep it going but maaad smoke came out of the tail pipe that smelled like fuel, i killed the engine and took these pictures of injector 1.
And the same smoke was coming out of that hole, this makes me think that the fuel is being dumped in there and is escaping from there and that the combustion chamber isn't holding vacuum causing the car to stall.

I ran out of light today so I won't be able to tackle it until tomorrow, but how would I go about fixing this? Is that injector damaged? Is it as simple as unbolting the fuel rail and bolting back in?

EDIT: NOw I found this video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEIP9ZYnnRc , it says to turn off the fuel, but can anyone tell me what exactly the "fuel pump relay" is and where is it connected? I found the procedure to do it here: http://mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php?fil ... F1-113.gif but it doesn't say where the fuel pump relay is.

EDIT2: I'm stupid, I confused fuel pump relay with fuel pump solenoid, I still don't know where it is though other then there being a "Passneger wall" that must be removed as per http://mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php?fil ... F1-120.gif Anyone know where that exactly is?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Look behind the center console on the passengers side. The ECU (a flat silver box) is there with a black relay connected to a bracket. I believe that's it. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Daninski wrote:Look behind the center console on the passengers side. The ECU (a flat silver box) is there with a black relay connected to a bracket. I believe that's it. :D
Oh ok, I'll take a look tomorrow after class, makes sense though.
DEMBOU

Post by DEMBOU »

Quick question:

It supports the radiator of a Mazda Protege 90-94 in a B6?

Other versions I can use to my radiator B6, because I need to change mi radiator Asap. :crying:
Dustinlib

Post by Dustinlib »

do the driver's side axles for the f series and g series interchange? I know the passenger's side is different.
1994 MX-3 RS, 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5, 1993 323, 1987 B2000, 1983 Jeep Cherokee
fillpereira

Post by fillpereira »

Hey quick question, which type of HID kit fits the mx3? Is it 9004?
I know its probably somewhere on the site but honestly I can never find anything with the search thing :oops:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Which way do you turn your key to unlock the driver's side door?

Counter-Clockwise?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

yes
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”