Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
bogaut
antispam: No

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: No more BPT, more likely BP

Post by bogaut »

yea that turbo is a vj20 for sure, corksport used to make a downpipe for the vj20, they dont make it anymore though.
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

bogaut wrote:yea that turbo is a vj20 for sure, corksport used to make a downpipe for the vj20, they dont make it anymore though.
I can neither confirm of deny as I have yet to see the turbo, the internal diameter, as I have been told is 2.38 inches unlike the vj20
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: BPT Purchase soon :D

Post by RobMinhas »

So now that the details have been ironed out I feel like I can share my upcoming purchase without jinxing it.
I posted an ad looking for a BPT and after having one person contact me with cams, turbo, vaf, that kinda stuff but not the block I had almost given up. Then I got an email with a fellow selling a BPT MX3. At first all I knew was that it was a BPT but the more I found out the more excited I got. Here are some more pics:
Currently I am not certain on what turbo is in it, I've been told the injectors and ECU are from a GTR so the seller assumed it was a vj23 although he thought it was a Garret as it had a Garret tag on it, but I"m certain it isn't. There has been a front mount intercooler installed and there is one issue with it, the piping is currently couplers and PVC so it blows out pretty quick at 8PSI, I'll be replacing it with steel or aluminum IC piping. Another issue is that the speedo gear has fallen into the trans, this apparently is somewhat common for G series transmissions and it has happened to another person on the forum(MiI<e if anyone is interested its in his work log), other then that, everything is hunky dory. Boost gauge is wired as well as a wideband sensor, air fuel meter and oil pressure gauge.

I am however, at a dilemma. I've looked into insurance and under my current insurance in BC(secondary driver under my father) i'll be paying about 600 bucks for six months of one way liability as a secondary driver, whereas in Alberta, under my own name, I'll be paying $350 a month for the same insurance. this is due to the fact I've only had a proper non leaners license for about 16 months and I've got two speeding tickets.

My options at this point are to A) try to get the car inspected in BC, which will probably be a b---- to do
B) Pony up and insure the BPT in Alberta, which I'd rather not, with University costs and everything.
C) Swap everything from the BPT over to my DD and then stick the B6 in the new MX3

I'm leaning towards option C although I'm not certain right now. It's a lot of work, I'll have to take over the wiring harness, ECU, engine, IC piping, Trans, boost gauge, wideband(basically just swap over the entire interior which is a lot of work, not to mention it's not something I could tackle alone so I'd have to get some help from my fellow Calgary MX3 members.

Does anyone have any advice or input on the situation?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

RobMinhas wrote:So now that the details have been ironed out I feel like I can share my upcoming purchase without jinxing it.
I posted an ad looking for a BPT and after having one person contact me with cams, turbo, vaf, that kinda stuff but not the block I had almost given up. Then I got an email with a fellow selling a BPT MX3. At first all I knew was that it was a BPT but the more I found out the more excited I got. Here are some more pics:
Currently I am not certain on what turbo is in it, I've been told the injectors and ECU are from a GTR so the seller assumed it was a vj23 although he thought it was a Garret as it had a Garret tag on it, but I"m certain it isn't.
The exhaust manifold is a GTX one because the GTR one has individual runners for equal flow!! But I dont know if a GTR turbo will bolt on to it? But 100% thats a GTX manifold cause I have an extra sitting on my garage floor!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: BpT Purchase soon :D

Post by RobMinhas »

I think you're right Tav, I'll wait till I see it or if I can't someone who can identify it can see it because in the pictures I'm inclined to agree with you. Although the ECU and injectors are from a GTR according to the seller.

What do you think as far as the swap Tav?
bogaut

Post by bogaut »

vj23 will not bolt on to the gtx manifold, they are a slightly different bolt pattern. the hotside is a vj20 hotside, so maybe its some sort of hybrid turbo. if the injectors are in fact gtr injectors, they should be orange and be wired with a resistor box. the code on the ecu should be bg8z.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

bogaut wrote:vj23 will not bolt on to the gtx manifold, they are a slightly different bolt pattern. the hotside is a vj20 hotside, so maybe its some sort of hybrid turbo. if the injectors are in fact gtr injectors, they should be orange and be wired with a resistor box. the code on the ecu should be bg8z.
When I first spoke to the fellow about the turbo he was under the impression it was a Garret hybrid, which is doubtful as it looks like a VJ20. I'm certain the injectors are GTR however I'll check the ECU for the BG8Z code. Thanks for the info!
bogaut

Post by bogaut »

gtr ecu is a great upgrade from the gtx ecu that most people use. no boost cut on the gtr ecu :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

bogaut wrote:gtr ecu is a great upgrade from the gtx ecu that most people use. no boost cut on the gtr ecu :D
8) Ahhh yeeeahhh
bogaut

Post by bogaut »

and that turbo might be a garret ball bearing gt-25, hybrid with a vj14, which is the same exhaust housing as the vj20. corksport did those hybrids way back in the day.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

bogaut wrote:and that turbo might be a garret ball bearing gt-25, hybrid with a vj14, which is the same exhaust housing as the vj20. corksport did those hybrids way back in the day.
I'm picking it up today, hopefully I can take a better look and identify the turbo. Hopefully theres a part number or something.
I looked into an old email i received from the seller and he said he was under the impresiion it was a Garret adn RX7 hybrid, not sure if that's anythign like the GT-25/VJ14 hybrid.
bogaut

Post by bogaut »

yea get some more pictures when you get it for sure, im 100% sure thats a vj20/14 hotside, since its the correct flange for the vj20 manifold and corksport downpipe
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

bogaut wrote:yea get some more pictures when you get it for sure, im 100% sure thats a vj20/14 hotside, since its the correct flange for the vj20 manifold and corksport downpipe
I was so excited today I didn't even look at it properly. Tav, Nick and Mike got a good look perhaps they can recognize it. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow morning.
RobMinhas

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: TIme to play: guess that turbo

Post by RobMinhas »

So I've got more pics of the turbo here, still couldn't identify it, that being said MiI<e hasn't looked at it closely so he may know what it is. here's some more pics
I took them at the best angle I could. Bogaut do you recognize the turbo?
AaronTietje

Re: Robs '95 RS-DD:BPT purchased, now guess that turbo!

Post by AaronTietje »

That's a cool car. So, how fast is she?
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”