Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

Post by RobMinhas »

Throwing up a work log here.
Info on the car:
-230,000 Kilometers on the body as well as the engine
-I am the fourth owner of the car, there was one gentleman who owned it till about 100,000 KM(that's a guess), my uncle then bought it from them, my father bought it from my uncle and then my father gave it to me as a gift for when I went to university.
-Engine is stock
-I changed one of the struts, back right, about 1,000 KM ago, it had give out and I needed to change it. The replacement strut was from an mx3 with about 160,000 KM on it so its far from new
-The muffler had been broken by my sister about a month and a half ago and it had a sleeve put over then welded on, the exhaust gaskett was also replaced at this point

My goals towards my MX3 are:
-Engine swap to make my car go faster :D
-Coilover set for the car, preferably to not lower my car, I'm happy with the current ride height, but my struts are on their way out.
-A paint job in the future, I like the colour(mira creek blue) but i got a lot of scratches on the body
-I have an extremely lazily set up sound system in my car, it was adequately wired but the speakers that were used were low quality and are pretty much finished, I want to upgrade that there
-My intake is needing a replacement right now, and I'd like to replace it with an aftermarket intake set up, I"m part way there thanks to Shayne/EvoSpec
-An aftermarket steering wheel, I have all of the components for it(also thanks to Shayne/EvoSpec) just gotta put it in
-Installing some projector headlights I have acquired, just waiting on some time to do it

My pre-existing problems with the car right now are:
-1 bent passenger side windshield wiper arm, needing to replace it but not considered an immediate fix
-My serpentine belt is squeaking a lot
-I am getting awful mileage(380KM per tank)
-This is partially likely to occur because of my damaged intake, also I have a rough idle that could be responsible
-Could be an issue with my oxygen sensor and my catalytic converter
-After driving around a few days with loose battery terminal cables, my car has started giving me a charge battery light, sometimes it flashes as well, I'm not 100% sure the battery is finished or if it's just been drained from my terminal ends being loose

Heres for some pictures!
I currently stand here:
Anyway, I left to run some errands and by the time i came back my battery died :(

Anywho,
heres what I've done to the car as far as interior/exterior looks:
-Installed Altezza lights, I smoked them with two light coats of Nite Shade by VHT
-I got two a set of "headlight foggers" for free with the tail lights and some wheels I bought, they aren't on right now but I plan to put them back on when the projector lights are put in
-Put in white indicator lights on the front
-My shifter knob got ruined so I replaced it with an Acura Integra shifter knob, I rolled down the boot for now but I'll probably replace that too

As far as the wheels go my current winter set up, as you can see in the above picture are two winter steelies on the front with 175/65r14 wheels and 15' mags with 195/60r15 tires on the back. Theres a good story to this haha. I bought a set of four wheels on steelies in october, however I didn't put them on until early november. I didn't get far before I noticed one of the rims was bent. So I had to throw a set of all seasons on the back until I could get a new steelie. I then purchased two steelies for dirty cheap and the day I was going to go get the good tire mounted onto the steelie I saw an ad on kijiji for the altezza tail lights I was looking for, after contacting the seller I managed to get him to sell me the tail lights, the head light foggers and three wheels on mx3 15' mags with almost brand new winter tires for $160. He also threw in some pieces of trim I needed as well. From this came my hybrid tire set up. I got the fourth mag from Shayne and painted it black as well as the other three. I've just been too lazy to go get the replacement winter tire mounted onto my fourth rim so I can install my set of black 15' mags.
Here's a picture of a painted rim

My summer wheels are these right here:
17' Drag DR2s. I couldn't seem to get a better picture then this but i'll upload more as i get to them. I got a great price for them and I love the look but the chrome lip has some major scratching and I'm mulling over a solution right now.

So, today I went down to pick n pull and found:
a shroud for my boss kit, I threw it together with the boss kit and steering wheel for the picture
Also found some rear splass guards :D
Cleaned this bad boys up, gonna black them out and throw them on hopefully tomorrow.
Last edited by RobMinhas on May 19th, 2013, 6:15 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver

Post by Evo_Spec »

glad you made a worklog, i love worklogs =D

if your not going to lower or not lower by much, don't get a coilover set, that's just going to be a HUGE waste of money.
if your not lowering just buy new struts and mounts, swap it over and call it a day.

for your mileage problem, start with your horrible condition intake XD
then from there get new spark plug wires, i might actually just sell you mine

if you know your battery terminal is loose then tighten it!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:glad you made a worklog, i love worklogs =D

if your not going to lower or not lower by much, don't get a coilover set, that's just going to be a HUGE waste of money.
if your not lowering just buy new struts and mounts, swap it over and call it a day.

Okay, i gotcha on the struts and mounts, I still need to get some good quality ones there though. Intake is coming, I couldn't find couplers today but I'm gonna go up to mopac when I get the chance and grab them from there, seems like no where else has them. Lemme know about those spark plug wires, i almost bit the bullet and bought a set from Autovalue today but the line was too big haha

I know, I didn't realize it was loose until I noticed my car wouldn't start. But my battery is for sure dead now, wouldn't start a couple of times :( If i leave it for a bit, then start it, I seem to be good. I'm gonna go buy a new battery tomorrow. Im just really surprised that my battery would die only six hours after showing the battery charge sign. I've got one of those booster/charger things that you plug into a wall socket, think it would do any good for me to charge it up with that?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:glad you made a worklog, i love worklogs =D

Okay, i gotcha on the struts and mounts, I still need to get some good quality ones there though. Intake is coming, I couldn't find couplers today but I'm gonna go up to mopac when I get the chance and grab them from there, seems like no where else has them. Lemme know about those spark plug wires, i almost bit the bullet and bought a set from Autovalue today but the line was too big haha

I know, I didn't realize it was loose until I noticed my car wouldn't start. But my battery is for sure dead now, wouldn't start a couple of times :( If i leave it for a bit, then start it, I seem to be good. I'm gonna go buy a new battery tomorrow. Im just really surprised that my battery would die only six hours after showing the battery charge sign. I've got one of those booster/charger things that you plug into a wall socket, think it would do any good for me to charge it up with that?
some good struts would be some KYB's but since your not looking to lower anything would be fine

i've had a bad battery and it doesn't sound like you have a bad battery, doesn't make sense that your car would start if you left it for a bit, maybe it's a starter going bad? (i have no idea on this one as i haven't had a bad starter before) i say check all the connections and make sure the wire isn't coming loose or something.
if you have a wall charger i'd say to give that a shot
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote: some good struts would be some KYB's but since your not looking to lower anything would be fine

i've had a bad battery and it doesn't sound like you have a bad battery, doesn't make sense that your car would start if you left it for a bit, maybe it's a starter going bad? (i have no idea on this one as i haven't had a bad starter before) i say check all the connections and make sure the wire isn't coming loose or something.
if you have a wall charger i'd say to give that a shot
I'm gonna look into those.

Before it died the first time, my stereo cut out, then I turned the car off, then back on and it wouldn't start. The second time it did the same thing there.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i've been there, it's your alternator there's no reason your car should die while it's running.
if i applied the brakes at all my car would die so i had to drive 30 min or so (in edmonton) to the junkyard just downshifting and using my ebrake, i was super fun XD
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:i've been there, it's your alternator there's no reason your car should die while it's running.
if i applied the brakes at all my car would die so i had to drive 30 min or so (in edmonton) to the junkyard just downshifting and using my ebrake, i was super fun XD
Oh no :( I was gonna say I turned my car on twice perfectly just now after having it off for two hours.
This mean I gotta replace the alternator? You know how much that'll cost me? I've never done it before so I'm interested in seeing if I can do it myself.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So the mud flaps are all prepped for painting
And this is the intake I got from shayne
I filled an extra hole with a nut and a bolt so all I need are some couplers, which seem to be stupid hard. I'm gonna be hitting mopar but I was hoping to find a cheaper place to get them.

And I seem to have an alternator that's no good now, which is very unfortunate, but alas, if it happens it happens. I'm going to call around, auto value and such. I'm also gonna try rockauto.com and maybe call picknpull and see if they've got something for me, a compatible alternator. Anyone know what cars alternators will work with my car? '95 4cyl, 1.6L DOHC.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:i've been there, it's your alternator there's no reason your car should die while it's running.
Oh no :( I was gonna say I turned my car on twice perfectly just now after having it off for two hours.
This mean I gotta replace the alternator? You know how much that'll cost me? I've never done it before so I'm interested in seeing if I can do it myself.
i'd just get one from the junkyard so i shouldn't be much and it's super easy, it's like 3 bolts or something like that.
RobMinhas wrote: Anyone know what cars alternators will work with my car? '95 4cyl, 1.6L DOHC.
1994 Mazda 323, protege, miata. (not those years specifically but that generation)
if your pulling from the junkyard, make sure it's the same type pulley (there's a v-belt pulley and...the other one)
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

you know i just put some thought into it and i'm thinking maybe it's that belt that's slipping on you, cause if it's slipping badly and that's the alternator belt that would cause it not to charge the battery significantly enough, try tightening your belts and see if the problem persist (not too tight though, don't wanna ruin the bearings)
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:you know i just put some thought into it and i'm thinking maybe it's that belt that's slipping on you, cause if it's slipping badly and that's the alternator belt that would cause it not to charge the battery significantly enough, try tightening your belts and see if the problem persist (not too tight though, don't wanna ruin the bearings)
I like this idea! It's the cheap one hahah

Tomorrow, that's number one. Even if the alternator needs replacing I'll be replacing the belt as well. Is changing the belt a difficult thing to do? Are there any particular tools needed? I want to try it myself and save some money but if it's too difficult I'll get it professionally done.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

RobMinhas wrote:So the mud flaps are all prepped for painting
And this is the intake I got from shayne
I filled an extra hole with a nut and a bolt so all I need are some couplers, which seem to be stupid hard. I'm gonna be hitting mopar but I was hoping to find a cheaper place to get them.

And I seem to have an alternator that's no good now, which is very unfortunate, but alas, if it happens it happens. I'm going to call around, auto value and such. I'm also gonna try rockauto.com and maybe call picknpull and see if they've got something for me, a compatible alternator. Anyone know what cars alternators will work with my car? '95 4cyl, 1.6L DOHC.

Lol, my old intake. That thing gets around.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote: Image.

Lol, my old intake. That thing gets around.[/quote]
I certainly am glad it came to me ahaha, I promise to make good use of it! All I gotta do is find some of those couplers haha
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:you know i just put some thought into it and i'm thinking maybe it's that belt that's slipping on you, cause if it's slipping badly and that's the alternator belt that would cause it not to charge the battery significantly enough, try tightening your belts and see if the problem persist (not too tight though, don't wanna ruin the bearings)
I like this idea! It's the cheap one hahah

Tomorrow, that's number one. Even if the alternator needs replacing I'll be replacing the belt as well. Is changing the belt a difficult thing to do? Are there any particular tools needed? I want to try it myself and save some money but if it's too difficult I'll get it professionally done.
it's a super easy job that can be done with simple hand tools, even just a crappy rachet set, you need a 12mm and 14mm IIRC
if your really that scared you can come over and i can help you do it, but it'd have to be today or tomorrow since i'm going to edmonton tmr afternoon.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

You may want to check out a hardware store for couplers... Sure, they aren't sexy blue/red/green silicone, but you can get a couple of rubber-like couplers used for plumbing, a few worm-gear clamps, and a screw driver for a song and a dance. Maybe $10, if your local stores have crap prices... That's USD though, so give or take a little.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”