Ideas for New Exhaust ~ 1.6 DOHC B6DE

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Ideas for New Exhaust ~ 1.6 DOHC B6DE

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I think Josh has it bang on (yet again). Choose the correct DIA of pipe and plan it out the way you want it to look. most shops will give you advice and build it with form and function in mind. In most cases, you can just bring your tips, etc and they'll put it together
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Vecia »

Very cool. I think I'm going to go with the 2" diameter for right now as I will be running N/A. The next exhaust set up will hopefully be for an engine swap but we'll see.
Josh wrote:I think you should do what ever you want. If you want duel tips DO IT, if you only want a single exit then go with that. It depends on your goals. If you plan on going turbo in the future I would go with 2.25" or 2.5" if you plan on staying N/A I would go with a 1.75" or 2". Then you use the properly chambered muffler and resonator vs the standard fiberglass packed cherry bomb style. That is where you will see the biggest difference.
Josh, what brand resonator do you think would fit a N/A, 2" diameter set-up? I'm definitely going to throw out dual tips just because it looks good but some guys swear by the Hushpower and then others scorn Flowmaster like they are the plague. Most brands offer cambered resonators as well as mid-baffled but when I research them, they still ALL seem a bit too gimmick to me. Are there any brands that really stick out in your mind with a bit of your opinion attached to kinda help me see through what is marketing crap and actual science? Again, thanks for the help and i apologize if my questions seem a bit ridiculous.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

myself, I really prefer the sound of a nice Magnaflow or Borla muffler. If I were you I would go with the same brand of the muffler you choose to go with. From everything I have found over the years is it is all personal preference and what you like. some are more dedicated to a particular brand than another so they will always push that way. I say find the muffler you like and go with that brand if you are planning on buying new. I think either the Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or Hushpower. I have never used or heard a Hushpower setup but I hear great things.

The last several years I never really cared about anything other than a straight through exhaust and a nice tip. I like me a good turbo setup :)
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Vecia »

Yeah, Ive been reading a lot on the megasquirt diy stuff just to try and get a working understanding how the FIC controllers and stand-alone systems work. Im a good electrician with a great understanding of most electronics when dealing with simple relays and resistance based sensors so I figure if I can get the engine management thing soaked in my head then I could start there first and work a turbo system around that. I read on a post recently somewhere that if they had it to do over again they would have done the EMS first and then worked their way out from there... (paraphrasing)

At any rate, I'm starting small since this is my first import build and the fact that it is my daily driver. But believe me, going all out is definitely in the plans. :)

Thanks for the input, Josh. I really do appreciate it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”