Ideas for New Exhaust ~ 1.6 DOHC B6DE

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Ideas for New Exhaust ~ 1.6 DOHC B6DE

Post by Vecia »

What's up guys?

Okay, after my recent coolant scare, I can now focus on the future without freaking out. Next up, my exhaust.

I just recently purchased SuperK's Corksport Genie Headers for the 1.6 DOHC. Now, before I get yelled at for not doing the BP swap, just know that I will one day soon but due to money restraints and other opportunities opening up, such as the headers, I've decided to keep it simple for now and expand later. Right now I'm just having fun doing the little bit I'm doing and learning a massive amount about 4 bangers as I go along and what I can tell you at the moment is, that even with the headaches I've had, I'm having an absolute blast in this freaking car! :-)

Okay, on to it...

So, the headers are 2" in diameter. I have a Magnaflow High Flow Cat (2" in/2" out) already purchased and on the way with my plans looking at a Flowmaster Hushpower II Muffler 2" 409 SS - 12012400 as a mid silencer/resonator and either a Flowmaster Hushpower DBX Muffler - (2" in/ 2" out) - 304SS 12014310 or a DC Sport EX-5012 Stainless Steel Round Muffler and Exhaust Tip (2" in/ 4" out) as the rear silencer.

Now, I'm already familiar with the Flowmaster Hushpower Series just from the research on the boards and from what I have read, most of you are pretty positive about them. I guess my question is, what are you guys' opinions on DC Sport Universal Mufflers? They currently don't make anything for our cars, period and even their site doesn't list the MX-3 as applicable to the universal mufflers. I used the search on MX-3.com and it came up with nothing but if I'm not mistaken, I thought I remember seeing someone in a worklog using a DC Sport Muffler but can't find it anywhere.

Whatever info you guys can throw at me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Ideas for New Exhaust ~ 1.6 DOHC B6DE

Post by SuperK »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... flowmaster

this thread is my original "Wut exhaust should I use?" thread

Yoda should never be questioned, just nod your head and say, "I will follow your every word."

He's legend among legends.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

LMAO... Touche'

Reading now ^ Thanks man!
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

I had a dc on my car but had to get a coupler to get my 2in pipe up to the 2 1/4in muffler
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I would stay away from glass packed mufflers/ resonators. They reduce sound by adsorbing sound energy and heat into the packing material Addtional sound is reduce by friction with the perforated core. The bad thing about this is boundary layer turbulance a lot the surface of the core that creates back pressure. This is why your muffler is not very effective at reducing sound because they have to be made larger in diameter to have the same flow a continuous diameter of pipe to compensate for loss of flow along the perforated core.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

Hence the key word "had". I didnt care for it.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Okay, questions...

The moroso spiral muffler is what Yoda is suggesting for a resonator, correct? Well, the smallest inlet they make is 2.25. How would that work on a 2" system when you would need to use a welded coupler? Wouldn't that affect the sound dampening?

Also, Yoda suggests using 2 smaller pipes instead of one large pipe. So I'm guessing he is referring to using a "Y" pipe at about the center of the vehicle and then what? Are you bringing the pipes back together before a single resonator or are you splitting the system into a semi-dual exhaust system with two resonators and two silencers at the end? I don't think this is what he quite meant as fitting two 60 Series Flowmasters under the rear end would be dang near impossible... though I have day dreamed about having a semi-dual system, however I always envisioned it simply being a single, baffled resonator to a muffler with 1 inlet and 1 outlet on one end and a single outlet on the other kind of like this:
..................................................................................................
...........................................................................--------{ Tip ]=
...........................................................Outlet.....||......................
.....................................................................------......................
....<-- To Cat................................................|.......|.....................
----------------([[ Resonator ]])-------------......|......Muffler/Silencer
...............................................................|...|........|.....................
...............................................................|...|____|.....................
...............................................................|___|| ||......................
............................................................................------{ Tip ]=...
..........................................Inlet/Outlet---------^.........................

Sorry for the crudeness but you get the idea.

Would this work? Because if it would, I'm all about it!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

He said that they didn't see any gains past 50% of the total length (the exhaust system). This leads me to believe that you would put the Y in right after the resonator. I would not get two. You do not want a standard Fiberglass packed baffled resonator either. I used an off brand of the type he is describing and I loved it. Then I would run the two pipes in tandem to a duel in duel out muffler :)

This sounds incredibly intriguing, and it makes sense why some of the latest designs of sport compact mufflers are the way they are.

I am very interested to see how this turns out if you decide to do it.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

So then, correct me if I'm reading it wrong, but what the way I interpret it is that you have the exhaust leaving the manifold in a single, say 2" pipe, then it taps to a baffled resonator with 1 inlet on the front side and 2 outlets on the back side. From the two outlets, you are going with 2 pipes parallel to the rear muffler/silencer which has 2 inlets on the one end and 2 outlets on the other? Is this correct? If not, let me know.

I'm not really concerned with the visual awesomeness of what dual tips look like coming out of the back of the car more so over function and performance but the look of dual exhaust is still pretty cool IMO and if I can get that as a bonus from attempting to maximize performance then that's a win. However, I would rather understand and shoot for the function of the exhaust first. For some reason though, the "2 pipes" thing is throwing my head off and I don't think I am quite understanding the set up.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

"Bump"?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

First sorry for being lazy, but I only read the most recent post and not all

I do feel that a single exit exhaust is the best choice. I don't believe there is any flow increase.. or minimal at best with a dual exit setup. You will always be limited to the flow through the single section before it twins out. Counting the extra weight for the twin setup, you may very well slow the car down when it's all said and done. Always remember 100lbs is a 1/10 of a sec in the quarter mile.

Cost would be much higher as well.. although not always an issue. I love my set up.. limited use before the damn snow came. I simply took it to carline muffler.. told them what I wanted checked a few tip, muffler and res options and let them at it. It ended up around the 600 mark and well worth it.

This is also the second time I did the exhaust. The first was I beleive an increase to 2" then this time to 2.5.... I should have just done it 2.5 the first time... but was not sure then, that I wanted to boost it.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

exhaust is gypsy magic. dual exit mufflers usually sound like s---.

Only way to really know is to do it. (or have someone with the exact same engine done it before you)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I agree with bullwinkle. That's your name, right? My bad.

dual exhaust isn't going to net you really any "gains" perse, but it probably would be little quieter and the dual tip looks nice. other than that, I don't think it's any benefit. I believe yoda was saying running two small diameter piping before the muffler, not a dual tipped muffler.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yoda was saying up to 50% of the length they saw gains on the dyno. SO I would think that he was saying to Y the exhaust after your resonator, I think if you wanted you could Y them back together at the muffler. The point was to cut down the resonance in the car. All of us with aftermarket mufflers know that with an increased pipe diameter and a larger muffler out the back it gets quite difficult to talk inside the car at times. I have had like 8 different exhaust setups on my RS and I am working on the 4th complete exhaust setup on it now.

I think you should do what ever you want. If you want duel tips DO IT, if you only want a single exit then go with that. It depends on your goals. If you plan on going turbo in the future I would go with 2.25" or 2.5" if you plan on staying N/A I would go with a 1.75" or 2". Then you use the properly chambered muffler and resonator vs the standard fiberglass packed cherry bomb style. That is where you will see the biggest difference.
Smashmig

Post by Smashmig »

I dont know how much it affects hp but i really like the sound of a nice 2 in straight pipe

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”