Is it possible to kill a computer with info?

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Is it possible to kill a computer with info?

Post by fowljesse »

This is probably a dumb question, but here's what happened;
My MegaSquirt was acting up, running the car too lean, so I bought a laptop (because mine was also acting up.. computers hate me) to interface with MS. The laptop came with Ubuntu, so I downloaded a Linux based MS tuning program. When it came time for the program to ask the MS box what it was, MS lost power, and the car shut down. The MS never regained power. I opened it to find a loose wire, which I resoldered into place, but the MS never came back on. It has an LED that lets you know when it has power. I checked the ECU power wire that was spliced to run MS, and it had 11.7ish volts. The tuning program said, as MS died, that it was writing a lot of info, line after line kept popping up that said something about writing info. I'll try to get more info, if possible.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Is it possible to kill a computer with info?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Your not asking if you killed your laptop, you're asking if you killed your Megasquirt?

When you're writing you MS, you're flashing an EEPROM chip. Typically a failed flash doesn't go well. You usually need special software to recovery it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes, I'm asking about the MS EEPROM. I have the info in the laptop, and will be sending the MS unit to a guy to diagnose and fix. The part I don't understand is the loss of power, but it may be coincidence that the wire came loose at the same time.. or maybe that is the actual problem.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

A failed flash can freeze your processor, but it won't kill it. For what you say, that sounds a lot like a hardware problem to me, that may have gotten worse when you connected the laptop to it, not because of the data transfer, but maybe because of a power leak on either direction, or a bad connection, etc.

Getting the MS diagnosed is the right move, and so is moving to Ubuntu. Welcome to the club. :D
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You would think for a few extra bucks Mega squirt would use a dual EEPROM. If one failed as may be the case here the other one would take over then reflash the fist chip. Ya losing power during a flash is bad news. Keep us informed as to the fix.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, guys. I'm sending it out tonight.
Inodoro, I'm not smart enough to use Ubuntu, but I'm going to try. There is the Windows simulator, Wine, if I can't get used to the layout.
Inodoro Pereyra

fowljesse wrote: Inodoro, I'm not smart enough to use Ubuntu, but I'm going to try. There is the Windows simulator, Wine, if I can't get used to the layout.
Neither am I.

Go to http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php, and start asking questions.

For normal everyday use, Ubuntu is so much simpler than Windows that, after a few days, you will fall in love with it. What can get difficult sometimes is installing stuff. For that, Ubuntuforums is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been a member of.

Believe me: for the last 3 months or so, I've been sentenced to Windows 7 exclusively. I hate my life. :crying:

Diogenes of Sinope.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Heheh. The laptop came from a place that recycles computers, and they are passionate nerds. It came with free tech support, as long as I keep Ubuntu on it. I have a good relationship with the place, so I can get help, when needed. Thanks for the link :D
Inodoro Pereyra

Anytime. :D

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote:Yes, I'm asking about the MS EEPROM.
That's a whole different story, MS isn't a computer, and was especting a PC question in the off-topis section.
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Believe me: for the last 3 months or so, I've been sentenced to Windows 7 exclusively. I hate my life. :crying:
I haven't touched anything but Windows since college, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Inodoro Pereyra

Nd4SpdSe wrote: I haven't touched anything but Windows since college, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Because you don't know any better. :)
Try Ubuntu. Once you get to know it, you'll understand my feelings on "Windoze"...

Diogenes of Sinope.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: That's a whole different story, MS isn't a computer, and was especting a PC question in the off-topis section.
My bad :wink:
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

wine is in many cases a huge pain the in a-- to use. ubuntu however is a great o/s. ive been using it for years and would only ever use windows if and when i would decide to play a game.

hopefully the problem is a failed eprom, the board and other components would be salvageable relatively easily. did the board look like it had any burn marks or anything? and burnt metal smell? if there is no physical burn marks on the board its possible it can be fixed relatively easy if none of the main components are damaged...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I use windows, like it, and I fix them anyway, so need to be on the know on how to. My PC's always run a pirated version too, gotta know how to deal with those.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3trouble.htm

I found this...

does any of this information apply? Before checking anything else, make sure your stimulator has a fresh battery - many problems are traced to a low battery voltage, but only after a long, frustrating troubleshooting effort!

I have never used MS nor claim to know what's involved in it, but if any of it is helpful...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “Off-Topic”