A Realistic look at MX-3's

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: A Realistic look at MX-3's

Post by Ryan »

You'd actually be surprised on how well you can get a civic to handle. The MX-3 isn't much to write home about either, its just got cool TTL's. Handling is an innate FWD issue.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Frost881
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: A Realistic look at MX-3's

Post by Frost881 »

Not enough real worl dexperience with the mx-3 to give an asscessment on the handling aspect of it

however, my 6 has the vaunted double wishbons setup up front and i must say that car handles beautifly for what it is. My 6's biggest enemy is not its suspension setup, its the cars mass. With me in the dirvers seat it weights about 3300 lbs. While thats not that heavy (especially considering the weight of some modern cars nowadays) when your saking the front wheels to handle putting the power to the ground AND turning all that mass they do get overwhelmed quickly.

The understeer in my 6 is actually drawn out more while autoXing than in open track enviroments, in low speed corners the car has a real tendency to plow wide. The 6's biggest problem is finishing the corner; becausethe front wheels are trying to not only put down the power but also direct 3k pounds of ca, it can be a real struggle to really get the car to finish short quick sweepers or u turns.

However, thatnks to the double wishbone up front/multilink out back setup, almost everything else handling wise is fantastic for what it is. The car turns in promptly without hesitation, it handles direction changes very well, it slaloms beautifly now (thank you koni shocks & MAZDASPEED Springs!) and imperfections and bumps do not upset the car during cornering.

I will say this about the MX-3 though, it feels much more intimate than my 6 does. Despite the less advanced suspension and the fact that it was designed 10 years before the 6 was even a glimmer in mazdas eye it just feels more intimate and raw. it really gives the driver great feedback, granted my 6 does as well, thats a Mazda trait, but the MX-3 really dosent keep any secrets from the driver. Couple that trait with the fact that my RS is missing 90% of its interior and it was not hard for me to see why this little car still has such a hardcore following to this day!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”