Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: No more BPT, more likely BP

Post by ethand »

An example of supercharged cars which are more efficient, Rob, would again be pretty much the entire VW range haha... I know for sure that the Polo GTi has a turbocharged, supercharged engine, and that same engine is available in some Golfs. Pretty sure the lower down Polos also use a 1.2L Turbo, supercharged motor
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Ya, we don't have the cool cars up here
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not the turbo/supercharger that makes those or any motors more efficient, it's the fact that use small motors for efficiency. The FI system give it the kick of the big motor. Cost efficiency usually get kicked down a notch when factoring in the need for higher-octane fuel for FI. The X is S/C and it's definitely worse than it's N/A counterpart...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Uh, yeah... I'm beginning to want to take my statement back.... Not sure what I thought I was referencing, but whatever it is, I can't find it.

:lol:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Ryan wrote:Uh, yeah... I'm beginning to want to take my statement back.... Not sure what I thought I was referencing, but whatever it is, I can't find it.

:lol:
I like how you're willing to admit your mistake, it shows character haha.
Josh wrote:Rob I hat to jack your WL, but guys sure Turbo vehicles "CAN" be more efficient, but on our vehicles they are anything but. Even with the little stock VJ14 on my B6DE I never came close to that of it being N/A. the best I ever did was 28 freeway, and that's a road trip, N/A with my ATX i consistantly got 32-35mpg. Honestly I have met a lot of guys with boosted B series motors over the years and unless you are running a 626/mx-6 5th gear you are sitting at 25-30 mpg at best. You cannot compare a VW that is designed for optimum performance and a home built turbo kit on your mazda together it just doesn't happen, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Rob,

The FE3 is practically a bolt in process from what I have been told. It bolts to a V6 G series gearbox, so you may need the engine cradle and mounts, axles. But other than that you can run it off of BP tuning, the timing is slightly different but I guess it is very close. You may need to swap your engine bay harness to a 92-92 rs harness to run a BP10 ecu.
I've done some more digging(one of your posts actually) and it seems like this swap is doable for me.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I looked at this thread here http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ap#p596075

It seems I need:
the actual FE3 motor
Exhaust manifold from the FE3
mx6 2.2L transmission
GS v6 gearbox
From a BP: -rear/top rubber engine mounts
-Rear/top Engine mounts
-Shift linkage
V6 Mx3 beltside engine mount
a(custom?) front engine mount
FE3 TB adaptors
a(custom) AC bracket
a BP Ecu i think, although it seems there might be a better ECU to use?

Anything to add boys?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
ethand

Post by ethand »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:It's not the turbo/supercharger that makes those or any motors more efficient, it's the fact that use small motors for efficiency. The FI system give it the kick of the big motor. Cost efficiency usually get kicked down a notch when factoring in the need for higher-octane fuel for FI. The X is S/C and it's definitely worse than it's N/A counterpart...
That is true, but doesn't it mean that you're gaining power without increases in consumption? Also, because you're having to apply less throttle to get up to speed, would that not also deliver efficiency gains? Or is my logic way off?
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

here is a good WL for you to look at http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... ess-thread. this is one of my favorite builds going on right now.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Josh wrote:here is a good WL for you to look at http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... ess-thread. this is one of my favorite builds going on right now.
Thanks Josh! I'm researching and slowly building an understanding of the swap haha

So the weekend is almost here, and that means time for a radiator fluid flush! I've never done this before but I think I understand the procedure, any tips fellas?

Also, I wanted to mention a few months ago that my lower radiator hose had a leak and I had to top off my fluid and I've heard that that's the kinda thing that would cause there to be an air bubble, I've had a pulsing RPM since even before that but from what I understand the air bubble could cause that too? Sounds about right, or wrong?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:So the weekend is almost here, and that means time for a radiator fluid flush! I've never done this before but I think I understand the procedure, any tips fellas?

Also, I wanted to mention a few months ago that my lower radiator hose had a leak and I had to top off my fluid and I've heard that that's the kinda thing that would cause there to be an air bubble, I've had a pulsing RPM since even before that but from what I understand the air bubble could cause that too? Sounds about right, or wrong?
my tip is that after you drain the coolant from the radiator plug, pull off your lower rad hose from the rad side to get more coolant out.
also you may as well swap your thermostat while the coolant is out of your system even if there's no problem with it but it's nice to know it won't fail any time soon, there's no reason not to unless your uncomfortable doing that kind of work but it's super easy.

air bubble's in your system seem to cause a lot of strange problems for some people so it's possible but i don't think it is in your case but i have no idea.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Ahh so I didn't end up doing my rad flush, I really should have but I'm just oh so lazy.

I did(with Evo_Spec's help) manage to install my reverse glow gauges. I would've been almost able to do it myself, but there were some thing that were beyond my expertise. Unfortunatley the contact for my fuel and temp gauge got damaged so we had to solder the fuel/temp gauge from my other set to the connection. I don't mind how it looks at all actually:
and just to show you guys I've been trying to clean up my engine bay
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I hit a milestone today:
And I bought some summer rims :)
They are GP racing GR3s. I picked them up for $400 and I've decided to use them instead of my Drag DR2s because the Drags were kept just so they'd match my CF hood.
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

Nice color choice. :D
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

AaronTietje wrote:Nice color choice. :D
Thanks, I saw the same colour setup on an R32 which inspired me. Photo shoot with the rims on coming in the future!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

So I've been scouring through work logs and random posts while my insomnia was keeping me up and I've got some ideas....
In march/april I'm going to so my next oil change, I'm also gonna sea foam my car when I do that. I also need to do a Rad flush as my rad fluid is filthy, dark green and smells very funky, also my reservoir is pretty dirty from dirty rad fluid sitting in it. Do you guys think I should wait and flush it when I do my oil change/sea foam or do it right away to get it over with? I'm also going to be replacing my thermostat when I do the rad flush as well. I've done some searching for thermostat replacement and I haven't found much on the forum or google yet but I've heard its rather easy.

Ive also decided to switch GS disc brakes from the rear and get rid of my drum brakes. I was expecting a sticky in the suspension/brakes section but I couldn't find one even with searching, anyone hit me up with a link? I've always been bad at putting in useful search terms hahah.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”