FD RX7 Hatch on an MX3

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
hppwdn

Re: FD RX7 Hatch on an MX3

Post by hppwdn »

I own an MX3 because it's a lightweight platform to use a KL engine in. I've never been a big fan of the mx3 looks. The stock hatch makes the car look like a giant bubble. An FD hatch flows with the curve from the roof down to the bottom and just flattens out earlier. And of course, the FD hatch would make the car an even lighter platform for KL engines.

The front of the MX3 all the way through the doors I like. The hatch is really the only thing about the car I dislike.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

You would be better off removing the stock OEM glass from the MX3 hatch and putting in the RX7 GLASS and fabricating a giant piece of metal that will butt up against the bottom of the RX7 glass to give it the long look. :welder:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

That's exactly what I've been thinking about for a long time. I just never had the motivation to go pay a body shop to do it. All the weight reduction is in the glass. I was hoping Oscar may have the ability to do that, but looking at his response in the CF thread it's out of the question.

Ideally, I would drop both hatches at a body shop and have them fiberglass in the mx3 hatch to meet the oem FD glass. I really don't spend much on my mx3 though. It's more of a go fast on the cheap project to kill time. I'm pretty sure the body shop cost to do a one off like this would clear $1,000 easy.

You never know though. I may have an opportunity to paint the car in november. I'll ask my body shop guy when I bring it in.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

well keep us posted if you end up getting something made... I'm not saying I would want one for my car but it's always cool to see what people are doing different with their mx-3's! :2thumbsup: :welder:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I like the small MX-3 window, especially since I replaced mine with Lexan, and improved visibility through it by about 150%. I would like to see the FD glass in the MX-3 hatch, and Lexan small window.
I often put things in my hatch that wouldn't fit if it had the FD glass.
Although I didn't like the "bubble" look of this car at first, I've grown to, and the FD hatch/ glass would reduced aerodynamics a tiny bit.
I like the way it looks, though, and no one would know what your car is.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

So I just discovered that the RX-7 with an MX-3 hatch is a myth :shock: :o

That 'Wagon' hatch for the FD RX-7 was actually made by Greddy... Here's all the rest of the pics I just stumbled across. Of course I don't think this would fit on an mx-3 based on the first pics on page 1 of this thread...

MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

:throwup: :throwup: :throwup: :throwup: :throwup: :throwup: :throwup:

Sorry, I would add more but I figured this was already spam-ish... :P
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

The rear of the hatch glass is too high IMO, it should be at a downward slope to the rear not upward, it would have looked TONS better.

so I have not come across this post before, but reading through its funny to me how so many people are just quick to fab things using fiberglass. metal is very easy to work with. You dont even have to be good at welding, just decent. 600 bucks got me a gas fed wire feed and I love it, I have welded everything from Mild S to SS, and starting to dabble in aluminum with a spooler. When you do fiberglass work onto or over metal it is only temporary, it will not last. Number one pet peeve when restoring cars is guys who fill windows and door frames with fiberglass. The less bondo the better.

BUT back to the MX with the FD hatch, so little fab to make that work. I really am liking it. I am going to have to find a FD hatch laying around somewhere. Pull the glass out of both and cut up the FD to fit inside the MX. simple as pie. would be a weekend project to fab up.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

tell those guys to stay away from our limited supply hatch glass. Geez, they are costly enough without the RX7 guys driving up the price.
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

Did you have a side shot to show the look of it, as well how much room is left in the rear seat. Is it about the same for a person to sit back there?
1993 White gs klze.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I like it, looks interesting. Although it looks like a half assed hatchback hahaha
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh, if you do that I'd love to see pictures. Probably not my taste, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in person either!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I would like to do it just to see it in a finished product. The only real problem I foresee is the center section in the MX rear where it dips down to the rear bumper between the taillights. to make it look proper you would need to add some steel to the mx making it straight across, then doing something else to the rear to make it look right. otherwise it would look kind of dumb if one didn't do something with it.

Well if i come across one for reasonable price.. I was planning on getting a spare hatch as i did something dumb and scratched my rear glass on the RS with some heavy sand paper in a few sections. who knows I do like it though. I think the MX hatch is better for drag though. only time will tell.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Don't forget pictures, they tell a lot too! People keep saying so at least, blowing my worklog up with "MOAR PICTURES!!!" Posts :lol: My fault, for not having enough to begin with!

Btw, I spelled more that way on purpose... :lol:

I agree, with nothing but my eyeballs to judge, the MX hatch appears a lot more aero friendly than the RX7's.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Appearance”