AM shifter knob/boot

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SteeleMX3
antispam: No

AM shifter knob/boot

Post by SteeleMX3 »

Hi all, I've finally made my return to the world of driving after a vicious few months of financial strife that literally ended right before christmas. My baby is insured, registered, and rockin once more :D and obviously I'm now back to fixing her up.

anyways to my question, I've got an aftermarket shifter knob/boot that don't quite fit, so the knob spins freely and the boot just kind of sits there without a real purpose... has anyone come across and fixed this problem?
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
Mi|<E

Re: AM shifter knob/boot

Post by Mi|<E »

The B&M knob comes with plastic adapters that screw onto
short shifters. The adapter is female with male over top and allows
for the knob to be then securely screwed on.
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

but that means ive got to get a short shifter :(
Is there something that will fit my AM knob to the OEM shifter?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Superglue.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

You can try wrapping the threaded part of the shifter with electrical tape, and then spin the knob on. may take a while until you figure out how much tape is needed to get a snug fit. Not really a permanent solution, but has worked OK for me. :shrug:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I've never been a fan of aftermarket shift knobs... seems like they stay tight for a little while but eventually will come loose. The kind I had used a tiny little allen screw to hold it tight to the shifter... :|
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

Mooneggs wrote:I've never been a fan of aftermarket shift knobs... seems like they stay tight for a little while but eventually will come loose. The kind I had used a tiny little allen screw to hold it tight to the shifter... :|
ye that's exactly what happened with this one, those little screws just goudged the shifter and came loose after a week. I think I'll try the electtrical tape for now, cheers hotsiit.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

hot glue.., id fill the knob with hot glue and put it on your shifter. should hold for quite a while but be fairly easily to remove and clean up if you want to change knobs down the road. try it if the tape doesnt work.

p.s. i was wondering what happened to you
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

mikeinaus wrote:hot glue.., id fill the knob with hot glue and put it on your shifter. should hold for quite a while but be fairly easily to remove and clean up if you want to change knobs down the road. try it if the tape doesnt work.

p.s. i was wondering what happened to you
that actually sounds like a really good idea, cheers man. And thanks haha, at least someone noticed I dropped off the face of the Earth :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

SteeleMX3 wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:I've never been a fan of aftermarket shift knobs... seems like they stay tight for a little while but eventually will come loose. The kind I had used a tiny little allen screw to hold it tight to the shifter... :|
ye that's exactly what happened with this one, those little screws just goudged the shifter and came loose after a week. I think I'll try the electtrical tape for now, cheers hotsiit.

Tip time ;D

Keep the setup it came with, with the little allen screw. Drill into your shifter slightly, just to give it a little recess for the screw to go into, tap it if you've the patience. If you don't, put the glue in the recess, then tighten the screw down.

Other than that... make a custom shift knob. ;D
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Appearance”