My Replacement For My Mx-3!

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
Nd4SpdSe

Re: My Replacement For My Mx-3!

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually I could see it happen, brining back an Rx-7 or a 2-door 2-seater RWD rotary sports car. There was a large void of good cars in the late-90's early 2000's but they're been on a slow comeback since the mid 2000's.

Their flagship is the Mazda6 and their fastest car is the Speed3. The Miata is overdue for a MazdaSpeed turbo version (mind you, the turbo Solstice/Sky isn't around anymore for a need for one to compete with them). There was rumors of a MazdaSpeed Rx-8 many years ago that was Supercharged, but of course that hasn't happened. With the emergency of cars like the Genesis and the new V6 muscle cars sporting over 300hp now, the new 370z (where the 350z was a rival to the Rx-8) and the Toyota FT-86 coming out in the near future.

It's hard to say about the next gen rotary. I think they hit a good market with the 8 and it would be ashamed if they got rid of that. I could almost see a type of new "Rx-9" shared platform available as a 2-seater and 2+2 (probably with rx-8 style doors) configuations similar like the Genesis or the 370z/g37. Maybe on a new platform for the new Rx-7 on one and a revamped 16x integrated into the existing Rx-8 platform on another. I remember watching a video that compared and showed the improvements made on the Rx8 over the old FD chassis, the next Rx7 could very well be based on the Rx-8....but I can really only guess.

What's probably waiting for this revival is the 16x. Improving on the rotary to make more power, use less fuel and be able to meet stricker emission standards is key, especially since they're having a hard time getting it to meet Euro V and US emission standards for 2011, already killing the Rx-8 in Europe. On that note itself is important to keep the rotary alive.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Oh, I love the front, looks great, and the rear, has a bit of a familiar feel to it :)

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

And Interior pics!:

Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Actually I could see it happen, brining back an Rx-7 or a 2-door 2-seater RWD rotary sports car. There was a large void of good cars in the late-90's early 2000's but they're been on a slow comeback since the mid 2000's.

Their flagship is the Mazda6 and their fastest car is the Speed3. The Miata is overdue for a MazdaSpeed turbo version (mind you, the turbo Solstice/Sky isn't around anymore for a need for one to compete with them). There was rumors of a MazdaSpeed Rx-8 many years ago that was Supercharged, but of course that hasn't happened. With the emergency of cars like the Genesis and the new V6 muscle cars sporting over 300hp now, the new 370z (where the 350z was a rival to the Rx-8) and the Toyota FT-86 coming out in the near future.

It's hard to say about the next gen rotary. I think they hit a good market with the 8 and it would be ashamed if they got rid of that. I could almost see a type of new "Rx-9" shared platform available as a 2-seater and 2+2 (probably with rx-8 style doors) configuations similar like the Genesis or the 370z/g37. Maybe on a new platform for the new Rx-7 on one and a revamped 16x integrated into the existing Rx-8 platform on another. I remember watching a video that compared and showed the improvements made on the Rx8 over the old FD chassis, the next Rx7 could very well be based on the Rx-8....but I can really only guess.

What's probably waiting for this revival is the 16x. Improving on the rotary to make more power, use less fuel and be able to meet stricker emission standards is key, especially since they're having a hard time getting it to meet Euro V and US emission standards for 2011, already killing the Rx-8 in Europe. On that note itself is important to keep the rotary alive.
I agree. It's not that I think Mazda is gonna kill the rotary. On the contrary. What I think is that they're not gonna revamp the RX-7. So far, Mazda has never gone back to an older model before, and the RX-8 has been popular enough to justify staying with it.
But, like you said, Mazda today is lacking a sport coupe in its line up. And the 16X ( :love: ) would be the perfect engine to kick cars like the Genesis' behinds.

Personally, I would LOVE to see Mazda release the Kabura with the 16X and a 6 speed. :love:
And, if Mazda's statement that the 16X is gonna be cheaper to manufacture than the Renesis is true, maybe they could price it similar to the 8, or even the Miata...
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends, I don't see the price moving too much. If they get the 300hp/250tq out of the 16x, it'll be priced and have the performance to match and compete again with the 370z. The Genesis starts between $24'500 for the turbo 2.0L and $36'400 for the 300hp V6, so again, if the 16x was $40K it still would be priced to compete. Cheap and fun is pretty much dedicated to the Miata
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok now time to install a big honkin metal spoiler on the back, fake hood scoops on the front and black plastic covers for your head and tail lights. Yes that's what you need to do. :D I have very similar pedals and I plan to make a SS foot rest like you have. Other than that got any idea where you'll be posted? I'd like to meet up again. Maybe we can arrange an Oshawa meet,,,,or Trenton. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

In Pet until December, than I'm in Kingston until my Xmas leave, which may be the day after I get back. From there I'm suppose to spend the next year and a half doing my training in Kingston, but they've downgraded my trade, so I'm trying to remuster as an EO Tech where the training is in Borden.

Actually, when it comes time, I'll be a big honkin' Carbon Fiber wing :P
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Depends, I don't see the price moving too much. If they get the 300hp/250tq out of the 16x, it'll be priced and have the performance to match and compete again with the 370z. The Genesis starts between $24'500 for the turbo 2.0L and $36'400 for the 300hp V6, so again, if the 16x was $40K it still would be priced to compete. Cheap and fun is pretty much dedicated to the Miata

I agree, but a man can dream...right? :mrgreen: And I've been loving the Kabura since I first saw it. I don't care which engine they put on it: I want one.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor. ... C0008045DA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAZDA has re-affirmed its commitment to the brand’s trademark rotary engine technology, this time for personal reasons from the very top.
Mazda has set an ambitious 50 per cent fuel consumption reduction target for its next-generation rotary engine, which will be dubbed the ‘Sky Rotary’ if it meets the same efficiency targets achieved by the company’s ground-breaking Sky G petrol engine family.
a more focussed two-seat successor for the long-lamented RX-7 coupe has been consistently called for by Mazda fans and even executives within the company itself, mostly recently including design chief Ikou Maeda – son of original RX-7 designer Matasaburo Maeda – who described a new RX-7 as his dream.
During a visit to Melbourne in April, Mazda’s global sales, marketing and customer service boss, Masazumi Wakayama, told GoAuto that his company’s resources would not allow the development of a third sportscar beyond the MX-5 and RX-8. [...] GoAuto understands it is highly unlikely to wear the iconic RX-7 badge, which Mazda insiders say will be preserved in history rather than being potentially tarnished by an inevitably heavier, larger successor.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010102 ... /101029989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Despite the rotary engine's delay and swirling rumors about its future, Mazda says dropping the program isn't an option.

Said Hitomi: “We will never give up.”
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I LOVE MAZDA

They're the only manufacturer that has the balls and passion to keep the rotary alive. Nobody else experiments with new things or tries to advance little used technology except Mazda. I love how everyone in the company, all the way up to the suits at the top, dares to be different.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”