_-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Winter 2012 ... Part 1

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - FINALLY! Probinator

Post by Daninski »

Your VRIS and fuel should be better shouldn't they. Even with the KL31 ECU my engine runs rich. 2.5" exhaust doesn't help either, bigger exhaust just contributes to a rich running engine. So I was going to chip an ECU and compare.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

That's odd, when I put in a probinator it ran noticeably better than the KL31 chip I had. Although the KL31 felt more powerful because the VRIS points were off and I could feel when it kicked in, whereas the probinator was smooth.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while. That's mostly because I haven't really done anything new. I'm still troubleshooting a few things as I'm not getting desired fuel economy (about 10-11L/100km = 22-23mpg) and get the occasional backfire between shifts, so I know I'm running rich. I want to try swapping fuel rails as I think the FPR could be the culprit. Maybe a different VAF too.

In other news: I bought a DSLR!!! I'm so happy, I was dying with my shitty point-and-shoot. Ever since I tried a DSLR there's no going back. Everything in life is better in manual - cars, cameras... 8)
Plus last weekend I took my car Autocrossing! It was absolutely AMAZING! My new addiction :P I'll definitely be doing a lot of it next season. The downside to this story is that I broke a swaybar endlink:

Hahah no big deal, was definitely worth it. Also I finally did a few mods. I got an Integra two-piece CAI and cut it to make it fit with our engine bay. At the same time I installed a little eBay oil catch can and a "Mazdaspeed" oil cap.

Here's the CAI as it came, except for the filter and couplers which I got myself, as I wanted to stay with the red theme:

Installed:

Alternate shots:

--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
TrevorTheGallant
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Peeling Tires!

Post by TrevorTheGallant »

[quote="_-Night-Shade-_"]I was tired of my MX-3 looking like crap so I decided to do a few visual mods. I blacked out my side markers and threw on my smoked turn signals that I've had laying around for a while.

I thought that painting your side markers from red and yellow to black was illegal??
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Peeling Tires!

TrevorTheGallant wrote:I thought that painting your side markers from red and yellow to black was illegal??
Not that I know of. I've driven past plenty of cops and never had any issues. There are lots of cars that come stock without side markers. Ours are pretty useless anyway, they don't even blink or anything.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:I'm still troubleshooting a few things as I'm not getting desired fuel economy (about 10-11L/100km = 22-23mpg) and get the occasional backfire between shifts, so I know I'm running rich. I want to try swapping fuel rails as I think the FPR could be the culprit. Maybe a different VAF too.
Maybe VAF, but I'm thinking, how are your 02 sensors?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Engine bay stuff and mor

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:I'm still troubleshooting a few things as I'm not getting desired fuel economy (about 10-11L/100km = 22-23mpg) and get the occasional backfire between shifts, so I know I'm running rich. I want to try swapping fuel rails as I think the FPR could be the culprit. Maybe a different VAF too.
Maybe VAF, but I'm thinking, how are your 02 sensors?
My O2 sensors are mint, as they are off the K8. Everything I transferred over I can trust, it's the stuff I didn't transfer over that I'm worried about. Anyways I've swapped in a different set of fuel rails, injectors, and FPR and it didn't change anything. Then I put in a different KL02 VAF, didn't change anything either, even after resetting the ECU.

Fuel rails:

Put on some new gaskets while I was at it:

I've actually pretty much accounted for everything except for the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Knock Sensor. So yesterday I unplugged my Crank Sensor to see if it would run better just getting input from the Cam sensor in the disty in case my crank sensor is faulty. And it didn't change anything! With the crank sensor unplugged it runs exactly the same! I'm also doubting that it's the Knock sensor as I'm not predetonating/pinging/misfiring, it's more of a hesitation/jerk. I give up! I'm starting to think it's either an ECU issue or a timing issue. I never checked the t-belt when I threw the engine in...

What do you guys think?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Have you tried running a higher octane then 87?
_-Night-Shade-_

solo_ryder wrote:Have you tried running a higher octane then 87?
Hahah yes I did actually. Same sh*t =/
_-Night-Shade-_

Posted my issues in new thread: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=75240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_-Night-Shade-_

So this is what happens when you don't store your car in time for the winter...

Luckily I was able to get it to safety with no issues

Got my own engine hoist!

And so it begins, the prepwork...

Meanwhile a random guy in another city was scrapping a 93 GS so I figured why not take advantage - reuse, reduce, recycle.

So I got myself the dash for the swap I have planned, along with some other goodies.

Fast forward --> engine is out. NOW the serious work can begin

Got a new wheel setup so this is gonna be the rubber: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, same tires that Ken Block used when he was with Subaru!

Comparison shot of the tire width I'll be running vs. stock width.

My new rims: Buddy Club P1 with a custom finish. Light and sexy

Mounting...

Balancing...

Transmission offf...

Clutch & Pressure Plate off...

Flywheel off...

The tranny...

Stock flywheel

Fidanza Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Winter 2010/2011

Post by Daninski »

Igor, as far as your O2 sensors go age is definitely a factor. Not sure how old yours are but when I compared my new ones with the old K8 ones on my OBD2 96 ZE, when viewed on my Laptop/OBD2 interface, I found the response time of the old ones was very sluggish compared to the new one . Just a thought. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Dan what are you talking about? Everything is fine now.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

This???

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
I'm still troubleshooting a few things as I'm not getting desired fuel economy (about 10-11L/100km = 22-23mpg) and get the occasional backfire between shifts, so I know I'm running rich. I want to try swapping fuel rails as I think the FPR could be the culprit. Maybe a different VAF too.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Igor, if my buddy doesn't sell their house I'd like to do a paint day. Roll one car in and paint then roll it out and roll another car in etc. I figure I could do 3 cars before my arm gives out. lol If this is a go would you like to try your hand at painting your car if I run you through the process? NO FEAR :twisted:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”