Looking To turbo my DOHC 1.8

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
HardShifter
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Looking To turbo my DOHC 1.8

Post by HardShifter »

I'm plaining on installing a T3/T4 Turbo Charger on to my 1.8 DOHC MX3. Can my engine handle that the way it is or should I upgrade anything in the engine like the valves and cams. if so where can i get these parts? I'm also having a hard time finding a turbo manifold and downpipe.
ice_mann
antispam: No

Re: Looking To turbo my DOHC 1.8

Post by ice_mann »

You should check the FAQ's and use the search function, theres countless posts on the subject... :roll:
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

if you've upgraded to the 1.8BP, (from the 1.6b6) read mike's worklog. T3/t4 may not be your best choice, start with the manifold then go from there.
HardShifter

Post by HardShifter »

I haven't been having much luck finding that information on here. That is why I am asking. There is stuff about turbos but nothing about what I wanna know.
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

The BP is a pretty stout engine, even with stock internals. It should be able to handle 7-8 pounds of boost without any issues. T3/T4 would probably be overkill though.
Upgraded internals are needed/recommended for any real power.

The manifold will more than likely have to be custom made. There may be some in the for sale section.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... urbo+boost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... urbo+boost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

edt racing makes the bp turbo mani. I believe it bolts to a gt25/28 frame. What clutch are you running in the bp? If you have not upgraded it, you should do so first. Stock b6/bp are good for 200-250 in stock form... IFFFFFF it has a good tune.
HardShifter

Post by HardShifter »

The only thing that is done to the tranny is the Clutch. it came with it so I'm not sure what kind but its not stock. It grips like a racing clutch.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

T3/t4 is not over kill given to do a decent turbo setup, engine management is the key. If your not wiling to do neither, because it isn't cheap than yes wanting to install a t3/t4 turbo is over kill.

What are your power goals if your thinking spending 500 bucks will get you in turbo form, your better off all motor.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
HardShifter

Post by HardShifter »

I have been looking around for valve and cam upgrades. anyone know where I can Possibly find those online?
mrwhite
antispam: No

Post by mrwhite »

I find RS oh to be very helpful

To answer hardshitters question, supertect makes parts for the engine. Belfab products. Eagle I believe. There's one more company that I kno of I think wiseco (sp)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”