_-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Winter 2012 ... Part 1

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [1994 GS] - Now GS-R! SUCCESS!!! :D

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

So, a few things: I switched over to the MX-6 ecu/vaf combo and it's running much smoother now, this'll be a good replacement until my Probinator chip arrives. Also I've got a small coolant leak from one of the hoses that goes to the heater core, car almost started to overheat today after a lengthy drive. And I still, for some reason, have to undo the idle screw to let it start and turn it back down once it warms up to drop the idle, it's as if the IAC isn't working. I'm thinking it might be the coolant sensor, since the ZE is from a 93 and I think when they switched over in 94 they also changed the resistence values in the sensor so it might be giving it the wrong inputs.

Anyways today was exhaust day! Driving to the shop with open headers was sketchy, but I made it. Unfortunately that huge hole in the intermediate piping was unsalvageable so I got a whole new 2.25 inch cat-back exhaust done, and kept my Magnaflow high-flow cat and muffler, and got the same length resonator to keep the low, mean sound :) The beauty of this is that I have the Probe y-pipe so when I DO get headers in the future there will be no further modification required.

The muffler is actually in mint condition as it's SS, it's just dirty :P
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Mad Cow

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - New Exhaust!

Post by Mad Cow »

Damn your car got nice, so is it pretty much ready to go on the road? And congrats on the swap, I'll be honest, I didn't think you'd be able to do it. :lol:

Oh and is the muffler shop you used good? I've been needing some exhaust work for a while, and price is important since I'm broke.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - New Exhaust!

Haven't made any updates in a bit, been busy zipping around enjoying the reborn MX-3 :P My first trip on the highway revealed a pleasant surprise - since I've got the Probe tranny, at 120km/h I'm revving about 500 RPM lower than I did with my old tranny! Looks like the Probe tranny does sit somewhere in between the MX-3 and the MX-6 tranny: a bit of acceleration and a bit of fuel economy, the best of both worlds :) I'm still fine tuning some minor things but the power is there and I'm getting about 400km a tank right now and that's with minor bugs I've yet to fix, the wrong ecu, and a bad alignment. I expect my usual 500km a tank once everything's said and done. Lots of updates on the way so stay tuned.

Here's a pic of me enjoying a Toronto sunrise this morning:

marcdh

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - 21/04/10 Update

Post by marcdh »

Lovely stuff. Congrats on the swap :) I reckon I've only ever seen sunrise about a dozen times :lol: Looks worth it for the photography :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
_-Night-Shade-_

marcdh wrote:Lovely stuff. Congrats on the swap :) I reckon I've only ever seen sunrise about a dozen times :lol: Looks worth it for the photography :)
Hahah yeah man, funny story - I pulled an all nighter just to make that shot cause there's no way I can wake up early enough for it if I sleep (I love to sleep :P) and the previous few nights I fell asleep trying to stay up for but finally me and a buddy of mine who's also into photography pulled through and it turned out just how I wanted it to.

Eh, I guess I'll upload the rest of the pics I took that morning, these were shot while we were waiting for the sun to come up but I wasn't too happy with how they turned out.

Sigh, I need a lip badly, I'm tired of looking like an RS :|
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:[Sigh, I need a lip badly, I'm tired of looking like an RS :|
...and rear mud guards!

I love that pic with the sunrise and cityscape... awesome :o oh and the car looks nice too :D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think i have a set of rear mud guards you can have. PM me.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sooooo...how do you like the ZE?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Jarek93
antispam: No

Post by Jarek93 »

hey how much was ur KLZE motor, where did u get it, and what do u think the difference is [or does it say]
_-Night-Shade-_

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Sooooo...how do you like the ZE?
Mike it's night and day man! Now I understand why people say that 1st gear is pretty much useless :P It's not like I've been ripping it or anything but I definitely notice a big difference, especially when getting on the highway! It reaches higher speeds much quicker. I'm just mostly glad that I have a fresher engine that doesn't burn oil; if my K8 was mint I'd probably have held off on the swap. But yeah, I'm all smiles man :)
Jarek93 wrote:hey how much was ur KLZE motor, where did u get it, and what do u think the difference is [or does it say]
I bought it used off a Probe guy, he was in St. Catherines, Ontario. 400 bucks for it with tranny and all accessories fully loaded, plus I paid him 50 bucks to deliver it. Sorry not sure by what you mean what "the difference is". Seemed too good to be true but (for once) it actually was!
Jarek93

Post by Jarek93 »

well i mean doesn't ur gas mileage go to hell? do you know what you're gas mileage is now and what it was before?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My gas milleage was great with my ZE, much better compared to my K8. There's a bunch of threads about milleage and 2.5 swaps.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
_-Night-Shade-_

So I had a bit of an emergency last week when my tire started peeling on me! :o I know, scary stuff.

There are a few reasons why this happened.

First of all you know my Enkei rims? The Yokohama tires that are on them were there when I first bought the rims off a guy about a year ago, and even then he suggested that I should get new ones, however I wanted to get more life out of them so I did. Second, I had a wheel bearing incident in the fall that you can read about here. Ever since then I took out the camber bolt on that side because I replaced the whole spindle, so I've had negative camber there since the fall (and that's the side that started peeling). Also when I did the swap and had to take out the axles I took out the camber bolt on the other side so that side's had negative camber for just over a month.

So why didn't I get an alignment? I've been waiting to put on new suspension components first so that I don't have to do it twice, this was supposed to be my "winter maintenance" but I never got around to it. I've got new tie rod ends, new LBJs and new wheel bearings to put on. Also I've had some "new" tires sitting around for a few weeks but didn't throw them on for the same reason - I don't want to until I got an alignment so that I don't prematurely wear them out.

They are Hercules G5000Z, ultra high performance summer tires :P I bought them with the rims but they are going on my Enkeis and I'll be selling those rims, even though they're decent. Plus the tires are 215/40/17 so I'm finally upgrading from my 205/40s, these will be closer to stock size and fill the fender a bit nicer :)

But anyways because of the peeling tire I had to address this immediately, haha. Well turns out when my wheel bearing went in the fall, the circlip broke off the groove in the spindle where it sits so that whole spindle/knuckle is now garbage. So I'm still stuck using a 92 spindle on one side with a smaller LBJ. Looks like the new wheel bearings and a LBJ will have to wait for another time when I get some spindles. But I still need an alignment ASAP so I decided I'm gonna throw on what I can. Put on the new tie rod ends and I'll be getting alignment tomorrow morning. It's gonna be funny driving around with 2 different rims haha! Only for a bit though, cause after alignment I'll be going to get the tires put on.

azoriankid84

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Peeling Tires!

Post by azoriankid84 »

Car is looking really sik igor. Sucks about the tires. Get yourself a lip and some euro mini sides and it will look sexy. And i saw some rear mud guards in a junk yard in courtice if your looking for a set. The place is called doms auto.
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: _-Night-Shade-_ [ 1994 GS-R ] - Peeling Tires!

azoriankid84 wrote:Car is looking really sik igor. Sucks about the tires. Get yourself a lip and some euro mini sides and it will look sexy. And i saw some rear mud guards in a junk yard in courtice if your looking for a set. The place is called doms auto.
Thanks bro, it's all good just minor setbacks. How come you never answer my texts? lol. You need to start coming out.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”