[GI]v6 Aluminum Crossmember: Redux

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
wytbishop

Re: [GI]v6 Aluminum Crossmember: Redux

Post by wytbishop »

There are 2 crossmembers under the car. One goes from the rad support to the front subframe and holds up the 2 transmission mounts...the transmission mount member. That is the one that will be in the way of your hot pipes. The other goes from side to side and adds support to the front subframe. That is the one which is replaced by the item shown in this thread.

There is no modified transmission mount member out there that you can buy that I’m aware of. You will have to modify yours.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
drejin

Post by drejin »

Ahh, thanks for your reply, Ill have to do what John did and make a home build one.
zoom-zoom
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

one questiosn and one note-
(the question) What size bar stock are you using? I am interested in one since (here comes the note) MOCA is building a flat undertray for the MX with front splitter and rear diffuser as we speak, BUT in order for it to really be Flat I cannot use the SRD crossmemeber I have. Any bumps in the undertray will mess with the downforce created by the tray and thus I am looking for the strongest and flattest crossmember I can get. Otherwise I have to scrap it and run like the four banger guys...
What I would lik to see, and only a suggestion of course, but build the skeleton where it is above the plane of the bolt heads to make it least obtrusive. I bet if you look at any SRD crossmember you will see that they do take some abuse being where they are and how low they sit on a lowered car. Then if you weld a flat plate to the lower side it would be seriously strong.
That I would buy pretty fast, even for 2-300 bucks.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
drejin

Post by drejin »

If the question was related to me, I honestly do not know till monday, Ill be doing a mix and match under the car to see what would do the trick. After the explanation about the two crossmember bars, I wasn't suspecting it was the transmission mounts on it *Yes I sound like a retard now*. Ill have to bat some ideas on what to do on my pipe layout with the mechanic and what metal/build crossmember to build.

I did message John's to see how he built his.. His pictures are on the worklog
zoom-zoom
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

PATDIESEL wrote:MOCA is building a flat undertray for the MX with front splitter and rear diffuser as we speak
links pretty please :o
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:one questiosn and one note-
(the question) What size bar stock are you using?
What I would lik to see, and only a suggestion of course, but build the skeleton where it is above the plane of the bolt heads to make it least obtrusive. Then if you weld a flat plate to the lower side it would be seriously strong.
That I would buy pretty fast, even for 2-300 bucks.
Its 3/4" x 3/4" tubing.

You need something as flush to the bottom of the car as possible ? Above the plane of the bolt heads is pretty tight... if i were to attach a plate to the bottom of it AND have it sit that flush I would probably have to use 1/4" aluminum rod. I dont think i could go any bigger.. and maybe reinforce it with a 1/8 thick sheet

Is that sort of what you're looking for ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

I'd be interested in buying one.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You know more about the materials and their stregnths than I do JW, but yeah, I am looking for somethign strong, but as close to the unibody as possible. I am having issues with the height of both the stock one and SRD. They move the flat bottom undertray too close to the ground and "humping" over it is going to fubar my airflow and downforce as a result.
PICs coming as soon as we get some "real" progress. There is alot of mock-up, trial and error fitting and measuring. I do not have a lift and the guy who does works on Saturdays, so there is alot of scheduling crap for us to work around too. As of tonight we have what I think will be the part under the engine which is the crux of the other pieces. Hopefully the fitment is correct and we can start on the front splitter next week. The rear diffuser will not come this year likely. None of us want to turn our MX into a track only car just yet ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

bbunkerc397 wrote:I'd be interested in buying one.
Dosent look like there will be a group buy on this one.... I did make two of these, ones on my car. If you want the other its yours. I was going to put in up in the for sale section but didnt get around to it. I'll PM you the details

PATDIESEL wrote:You know more about the materials and their stregnths than I do JW, but yeah, I am looking for somethign strong, but as close to the unibody as possible. I am having issues with the height of both the stock one and SRD. They move the flat bottom undertray too close to the ground and "humping" over it is going to fubar my airflow and downforce as a result.

making one like how I described would be every bit as strong as OEM, steel and aluminum have a similar tensile strength, its just the weight benefit of 6061.

Do you think 3/8" thick would clear it ? OEM is 5/8. not sure what the srd is ..
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
MapaX5
antispam: No

Post by MapaX5 »

Mi|<E wrote:Just remember people with RS models cannot use this, its for GS front ends only.
uh...i thought RS people HAD the holes for the tie bars, and all we had to do was pull one off a GS and it'd bolt right in?
i read that on the "parts from v6 that fit RS article"... one of you is wrong...not trying to start a fight, just trying to figure out if i should buy this or not???
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

It's wrong RS's do not have the holes, or at least not all do.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've never seen a RS that has the attachement points...

I'll get with you privately JW about building what I need. We are switching cars for the moc-up to my V6 over Jaydog5678's turbo 4. So, I just started building a new engine cover piece to start messing with... We are also ordering some moldable ABS plastic sheets to build the undertray with and it should be here soon. So afterward I can really see what is going to be in the way and all.
BlaznLow

Post by BlaznLow »

just a reminder, that i do make these as well :)

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I would also like something more flat, beit tubed, or CNC'd. I have the SRD style, and it sits low because of the exhaust, but I have my exhaust tucked. I wanted to machine my SRD style piece, but the part where the bolts go is recessed lower than the rest.
If you, BlazinLow, could make the thing 1/2" lower profile than the original design, I would buy it.
If you, JWMX3, could make one with that profile, I'd buy it. I could send either of you pictures of my situation down there.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
BlaznLow

Post by BlaznLow »

so why not just take 1/2" off the top where the 4 pockets are?

Return to “New Product Development”