[GI]v6 Aluminum Crossmember: Redux

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
JWMX3

[GI]v6 Aluminum Crossmember: Redux

Post by JWMX3 »

Heres a few pics of a crossmember Ive been working on. Made from 6061 t6 Aluminum tubing.

For those that saw the pics of my first prototype, on this one i completely changed the mount points to a piece of Angle... looks much more aesthetically pleasing . definitely the one to make

On the scale OEM is ~4lbs and this one is ~2lbs.

Pricing would be 90 uncoated -or- 110 powdercoated

Last edited by JWMX3 on March 4th, 2010, 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Evo_Spec

Re: [GI] Aluminum Crossmember

Post by Evo_Spec »

you my friend, is making this one happy community.
You do great work, looks like a great product.

I'm gonna be passing on this one cause i recently got an SRD crossmember but i highly recommend JWMX3's products to anyone
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I have a suggestion, but it does require you to do a lot more work...

Awhile back on clubprotege I noticed someone was making an entire engine bay crossmember piece that tied in the 4 corners, and also allowed the rally guys to attach a skid plate.

I'm at work so I can't just go searching for it, but I will try to post the link later. It was made for the protege and I think there was a variant for the 323 and did not fix the mx3. I was very interested in the product since it allows you to route turbo pipes I believe w/o hacking up your car, plus it adds rigidity and I believe one guy even said it protected his oil pan (scraped it because he's slammed).

Something to look into?
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i see JWMX3 is gonna be kept busy making a lot of products for us XD
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

that looks pretty good. Maybe you can make some bolt-on subframe connectors for mx-3 next. I definitely would be interested.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:
Awhile back on clubprotege I noticed someone was making an entire engine bay crossmember piece that tied in the 4 corners, and also allowed the rally guys to attach a skid plate.
I'm at work so I can't just go searching for it, but I will try to post the link later.
Something to look into?
I think Ive seen the part youre talking about but if you find the link I want to check it out again. definetly something to look into

I really need a tubing bender, it will open up alot more options as far as parts.. especially a good front strut bar. I really want to throw my ebay junk in the trash and make something better, and i know there's at least a few people on here that want a front strut bar routed behind the manifold
Evo_Spec wrote: looks like a great product.

but i highly recommend JWMX3's products to anyone
thanks shayne.......... this crossmember is more of a prototype, its a little rough around the edges. I might change the mount points But the rest i think is good so it will stay the same as far as looks.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I read an article somewhere that said you could make a tube bender thats pretty good for less than 200. lol i want a bender too
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Just remember people with RS models cannot use this, its for GS front ends only.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I read an article somewhere that said you could make a tube bender thats pretty good for less than 200. lol i want a bender too

Yeah, i have plans for one. problem is you cant make the Dies.. and Dies bought individually cost Big $

im Keeping my eye out for a used hydraulic bender
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ya the dies was the only cost besides a cheap bottle jack. Are cheap dies that bad? I know harbor freight has stuff like that cheap.
JWMX3

Re: [GI]v6 Aluminum Crossmember: Redux

Post by JWMX3 »

I changed this up from my first Idea quite a bit... made a world of a difference imo

heres whats new : (and see pics above)

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Four point tie bar brace for Excort

http://www.piercemotorsport.com/servlet/Detail?no=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Looks much better JWMX3! Mmm aluminium welds... If I didn't have an SRD I'd be down for one. Good luck with it :D

Now make the one Wyt linked and I'm in :lol: Then I'm making me a CF underbody plate :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^^Thanks wyt, that's what I was thinking of but couldn't find it. I think that would be nice for the mx3.

JW, that thing looks really nice. Good craftsmanship.
drejin

Post by drejin »

Ok, this is my first post and i know im subjecting myself on some flaming. Long story short i have done my research and lurk on these forums for all my knowledge. I am currently in process of Turboing my MX-3 (i set aside 6k for it), the mechanic im going though showed me a spot on the current stock crossmember blocking the pipeline, obviously i gotta cut it or make a custom build, like the one your selling. I saw John's MX-3 worklog and saw his crossmember is a custom homebuild, your's is solid (not knocking on johns)

My question is, is this custom build your selling able to help bypass the problem with the hotpipes coming down or was this build you have just for cosmetics, I know ffs someone is going to say "oh it depends how your set up is" well im gearing towards how John's set up is since the hot pipes i can buy on Ebay from several of the links posted.
zoom-zoom

Return to “New Product Development”