Dark_Rider's Worklog- 1992 MX3 BP Swap Journal (Swap done!!)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Dark_Rider's Worklog- 1992 MX3 4cyl- BP Swap Journal

Post by Ryan »

Okay, lots of q's lots of answers

The bolt on the bottom? I don't remember. Big.

Use the impact to remove the waterpump pully and the litle bolts on the crank pully. Make sure to REMOVE, haha. The crank pully will come off independent of that bolt, that bolt only really holds the gear on.

Don't mark the belt unless you're re-using it. Its not rocket science to time a motor when its out anyway. loosen the tensioner and the belt should slide off.

Yeah the I/M comes apart.... 9 12mm's? I think, thats a hard detail to remember. There's a gasket in there to replace too.

I found it was much easier to work on the engine NOT hanging. Put it in a tire or something.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Yeah I got the crank pulley off. I just got something to hold it in place and broke them off.

Thanks for the tip on not marking the belt. I still have to get the water pulley off.

Don't have an impact in there yet. The compressor is there, but no electrical hookup. Sometime soon we will have my uncle down to do the electrical since he is certified to do it.

I got the 12 mms out, but no matter how hard I pull, the top won't come off. =/

that's the bottom end i just found, so it "should" come off but it won't. Any suggestions?

Also, thanks for the tip about the tire! Will do that now :mrgreen:
pauleatstoomuch

Post by pauleatstoomuch »

Looking really good. It's nice to see my old engine going to good use.
Good Luck!
'94 Mx-3 RS - All Black - Fully Rebuilt B6 DOHC .020 over, CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, SE Leather Seats, Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, JVC 6.5" in the doors, Rockford Fosgate 400W, 2 12" Dual Subs in Bandpass Box
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

pauleatstoomuch wrote:Looking really good. It's nice to see my old engine going to good use.
Good Luck!
Thanks a ton!

I haven't worked on it in a few days, but tomorrow I'll be taking the head off. Then I will call around to see who has the best deal on porting/polishing the head.

My main concern is the rust spots now.. and getting the car in for paint.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Just a small update on the car and every thing.

First off, car still has not been in for paint/rust repair. I'm not sure when it will, but it's going to cost me almost 2,000 for the whole job. I need to get the hood repaired (lots of small dents) and painted, both fenders need dents popped out and then the fenders repainted, both bumpers need repainted, and there are many other misc stuff. So I'm really almost repainting the whole car.

Other then that, I have been progressing on the car. Thanks to Trevo, I was able to get a short shifter, and the linkage. Ryan is in the process of getting me the rest of the manual transmission parts (though I don't think he can get me the boot, which I'll look for an aftermarket one). So now I am starting to look for the manual transmissions.
Though, I'm not sure which one to get... do I get the one out of the MX3, or the one with the BP? I heard you had to use the axles/hubs with the BP one, and I'm not sure of that. And I'm also not sure if the MX3 one can hold up to 12 PSI of boost.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I posted this for someone else on here to help them with a question, and felt it fit here. This my current parts list. As soon as some more parts arrive, I will take picks of everything. But so far the swap is going good :mrgreen:. I am planning to swap the tranny and engine in together, and hopefully will have this done before winter. Maybe September/October I can begin the swap. Though, It all depends when I can get my compressor installed.. The garage is JAM packed, and no room for anything... especially not my car :lol:.

But here is the parts list:

What I currently have in my garage:

$650- Engine (roughy. It was 500 and I had it shipped via. my dads business)
$300- Clutch/Flywheel
$120- Short Shifter/Linkage/BP Seals off an MX'er (Trevo)
$40 (I think that's what I paid)- BP ECU (Bought off Trevo as well in a package with some other interior stuff)

I am waiting on:

MTX Pedal Assembly, lines, center console piece from Ryan (but will be paying around.. $50 + ship)
Corksport Stainless Clutch Line

And I am in the process of getting, or will be getting in the future:

Manual tranny (have to call junkyards)
Port/Polish
BP Wiring harness (to get rid of my auto harness.. don't want the plugs dangling, and don't want to cut them off).
Axle Shaft/Hubs
Transmission mounts
Gasket set
Possibly buying a set of rims and Shifter boot off Nd4
Walbro Fuel pump
New Timing Belt and serpentine belts
Water Pump
Oil Pump
New hoses (maybe... I will make judgement when I see how my hoses are when they are off)
Stainless brake lines
Turbo manifold, and all turbo parts (need to research info on boosting before I do this so I know what to get)
Better exhaust then what i have. (I need a resonator badly).

There is lots more that I am going to do, but in terms of the engine itself, I am most likely going to leave it stock internals. From what I've read (and as Ryan said) it can take 12 PSI with stock internals. So considering I only wanted to do around 8-12 PSI, that will be fine with me.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

PICTURES!

Thanks again to Ryan for the stuff. He got me the clutch/brake pedal assembly and master/slave cylinders. The pics are after I cleaned up the pedal assembly and put rust preventative on it, and before I started cleaning up the master/slave cylinder.

Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

so I haven't updated this in a while but a few new goodies:

1. Car was painted (as shown in General Mazda MX3)
2. Went yesterday and off a fellow MX'er the Kia Sphia Transmission, Kia Axles/Intermediate shaft, and the MTX mounts.

So today I am going to rip out the automatic brake pedal, and replace it with the manual pedal assembly. Yeah I know the clutch will be non-functional, but at least I'll have it in.

So now my next goal is to get the seals and a few parts off SuperK. After that, I'll get a lightweight flywheel and stage 2 clutch kit, and then if I have the time/money, I'll port/polish the head, hone the cylinders, and do some valve lapping. And after all that, I'll start putting the engine in.

I plan to start the dis-assembly as I near completion on the engine.

OH, and while all this is going on, I'm still in search for the manual harness. I need the BP engine harness, and both manual wiring harnesses from the car (the ecu harness, and the dash harness).

I don't want to do this swap with a non-functional Neutral switch :wink:
drewhall07
antispam: No

Post by drewhall07 »

nice job so far man. im pickin up my 92 gs this weekend and gonna start tearing it apart to swap a bp with turbo n all in. :)
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

drewhall07 wrote:nice job so far man. im pickin up my 92 gs this weekend and gonna start tearing it apart to swap a bp with turbo n all in. :)
Nice on this! (yeah I haven't checked my Worklog in a while I'm sorry!). Can't wait to see what you do.

But yeah Just updating on the parts I have/parts I am in the process of getting:

Parts I have for the swap:

BP Engine off Mazda Protege
Kia Sephia Transmission
Sephia Axles/Intermediate shaft
Upper/Lower transmission mounts
Manual pedal assembly
Master/Slave cylinder
Clutch lines
BP ECU
MX3 V6 Alternator
New thermostat

Parts bought/waiting for shipment/in process of buying:

Short Shifter/Linkage
BP wiring Harness/MTX Dash wiring harness/MTX Engine wiring harness
Engine rebuild kit

Parts to get:

B6 Engine Temp. Sensor (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the sensor you need so the car reads the right coolant temp on the dash right?)
New serpentine belts
All fluids

So yeah.. I'll be getting the shifter/linkage in soon, and the wiring harnesses I'm just waiting for Ryan to get 'em off his car.. and the rebuild kit I am going to get off SuperK.. so it's slowly coming along.. maybe by the end of December I'll have all the parts...

I'm also thinking of porting/polishing/honing.. and doing the valve lapping.. so I gotta look into those things as well.. but my first priority is getting the wiring harnesses and rebuild kit..
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Just 2 pics of the transmission after I cleaned it up and put some paint on it.

It's the kia sephia transmission btw.
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

isnt that brcket on top the trany a ground point? but other than that looks good. i like the fact that you painte t on the carpet.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

TMP39 wrote:isnt that brcket on top the trany a ground point? but other than that looks good. i like the fact that you painte t on the carpet.
haha that's in my basement so its an old beat up carpet.

And if it is a ground point, then I'll just have to sand off the paint. Thanks for the heads up!
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Woohoo SRPING IS HERE!

Which means I feel more motivated to finally start finishing this up.

Went to the garage and unwrapped the engine. Sprayed a bit of PB blaster around to keep things lubricated. Also took apart the water pump.

I ran into a slight problem, though, but I think I got through it. Before I was as knowledgeable as I am now, I had removed the timing belt before timing the damn engine. And then my cousin, who thought the engine was timed, decided he would "help" me by taking off one of the camshaft gears... so I didn't know how to put it on (he took it off when I was not near.. so didn't know the exact way he took it off) and ended up with a mess on my hands...

Before I could deal with the mess, a lot was on my plate and I didn't touch it.. then winter came, and I got stuck..... but now the spring is here, and I was able to mess with it..

and I found on the back of the camshaft gear, a dot:

From there, I matched it up with the "notch" on the camshaft:

and from there re-installed the camshaft:

now, if I am wrong please let me know. But I'm thinking that it would be right. Ryan told me it's fool-proof in terms of there is always some way of knowing how it goes on.. so here's to hoping I got it right!

anyways if that's right, I'll try and get it timed.

Other then that, I'm awaiting parts from Ryan (engine harness, ECU harness, and dash harness so that I will have my Neutral safety switch).

I'm also preparing to buy the following off SuperK:

Piston ring set
Rod bearings
Timing belt kit
Water pump
Head gasket set
lower gasket set
and the HLA's

I'm also not sure if I'm going to replace the clutch/flywheel:

And I think that's it for now.. though here is a pic of the plugs that were in it:

edit:

I was going to take the head off today, but forgot about the timing. So as soon as the timing is finished up, the head will be off so I can replace seals.

edit2:

Ryan has been a HUGE help. Figured out the notch goes with either I or E (and in my case, I since it's the left camshaft gear)
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:I used to have:

Q-logic dual sub enclosure
Infinity Reference 12-inch subs
Sony Xplod 1500W amp

but that was stolen >_>... so my car audio isn't the best right now :crying:
I think thats just pittsburgh man, I went through two systems down there before I gave up and ran an Ipod jack through a amp under the dash, left the radio harness hanging out and everything. The first one went through my hatch.. the second wasnt so professional and ripped open my sunroof -_-
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”