[GI] Lexan hatch windows for real.

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
Flyer

Re: [GI] Lexan hatch windows for real.

Post by Flyer »

Is there any way to incorporate scratch-resistance and the rear defroster, or is that just a silly idea?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

As I mentioned, I'm going to tint both sides for scratch resistance.
I don't know about the deforoster. I think you can attatch the defroster.
I've never used mine, even in snow. I use "DampRid" to kep the inside of the windows fog free, and once I get going, the wind blows the outside clear.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Flyer wrote:Is there any way to incorporate scratch-resistance and the rear defroster, or is that just a silly idea?
That would probably be upto the owner of the hatch. Scratch resistance, everyone could be creative. I wonder how well that clear 3M covering would work, people use it as extra protection on bumpers, hoods and fenders, than why not on the hatch?

Well, you can repair defoggers, and apparently you can get them installed. The only question is how the lexan would react. Mind you, the OR guys said that had a hell of a time getting it to react to heat when they were trying to make their own.
http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Rain-X makes an anti-fog applicant apparently.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

3M makes an exterior specific window tint. It's expensive, but worth it, as it keeps your windows from heating up. Interior tint reflects the heat back through your windows.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

That would be a big NO on the defog, and any sort of spray on anti fog I guarantee won't work here. Unless it resists a 1/8" of frost on both the inside and outside of a window.

The way defog works: There are strips of conductive material all in parallel and a large ammount of current is run though them. (fuse=40A) The EMF is converted to heat, melting the crap on the window.

Not sure how hot it gets exactly, but even on glass its not enough here. I have striped window all winter because its cold enough outside the heat doesn't make it between strips.

Jesse, that means with -48 BEFORE the windchill, you DON'T OPEN THE WINDOWS! I'd rather you barf in my car than instantly freeze my alveoli and force me into direct hypothermia caused by a 100km/h -48º wind....

They repair it with a conductive paint. When you scrape it, and break the of strips, it obviously is an open circuit, therefore no current, no heat.... and they just paint the break shut again. You can buy it at any store that carrys DIY car stuff...

I'm sure they just have a stencil to lay on strips on cars that don't have it from factory.

I'd like to install a strip or two and a new circuit to run FRONT defog, just at the bottom where my wipers sit on the windsheild.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Towona

Post by Towona »

Just get yourself a second oem glass hatch for winter. :idea:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Towona wrote:Just get yourself a second oem glass hatch for winter. :idea:

x2

I got a spare hatch :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That would be a good idea, especially since you don't want to scrape the snow/ice off the lexan
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes! Also, it will put some weight back on for traction.
They're easy to switch out with 2 people... As easy as the hard top on my Mercedes.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

fowljesse wrote:Yes! Also, it will put some weight back on for traction.
They're easy to switch out with 2 people... As easy as the hard top on my Mercedes.

Well would that be in the online manual? how to remove the hatch window because if that was the case I would keep my oem hatch.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

If I could install this just like normal glass with no rivets and eliminate my rear wiper at the same time this would be neat. I like the weight reduction, but I don't want people to realize it's lexan when they look at it.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You'd best have two hatches, not glasses. Removing the glass won't be fun. Removing the hatch is like removing a REALLY heavy hood.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Ryan wrote:Removing the glass won't be fun. Removing the hatch is like removing a REALLY heavy hood.
LOL a 77 pound hood haha... but seriously it's not that bad if you have 2 people. it's only 4 bolts that hold it on :shrug:

I installed it once by myself, and I'd rather not do that again :?
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I've done it a couple times by myself. It's pretty frustrating and annoying. I had to do it once with a cast on my hand, wouldn't recommend trying that again.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

About this lexan, does it come in black? Haha I couldn't resist.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”