5 lug conversion to 5 - 114

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
solo_ryder

Re: 5 lug conversion to 5 - 114

Post by solo_ryder »

Yoda wrote: It's been done more that once. At least a dozen or so times since 2003 that I know of on both MX-3 and 323s. Actually it's a pretty straight forward bolt on swap. Fortunately the MX-3 shares the same wheel bearings and spindle dimensions with a car with 5 lug hubs and same size rotors. It only requires swapping out the hub assy and rotors in the back and pressing out the front hubs out of the bearings then pressing the the 5 lug spindle back in and installing the matching rotor. When doing the front the bearing will probably blow apart so it will be best to have new bearing and seals on hand to do the job.
And what car would that be that you could swap over the hub assembly and the rotors?

Project.. I take back what I said about the 5 lug swap. It would be pretty cool, even though it would be somewhat hard to find a set of FWD rims that are nice.. However, I see my bro rollin on FD's with his probe and I want a set for my mx3 so bad.. I am not sure they would fit though.. We had to use 11mm spacers in the back of his probe to get em flush with the fenders.. It would be a close fit, maybe have to roll the fenders as running 225's would be ideal on that 8" rim

96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i dont no if any one has said this already but if u do swap to 5 lug.... the probe guys are taking the breaks from a mazda 6? and another car i forget now .. and the calipers and they are direct replacement ( so u also can get a bigger break upgrade ) (Y) just tossin it out there but i love thoes wheels too
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

you wanna do all this just for the rims?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Some people would go through great pains just to look good.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

mazda___mx3 wrote:you wanna do all this just for the rims?

ya its almost as stupid as all the work i did just to run a 14.6.
HOWEVER im glad people are seeing more about the 5 lug swap. lots of 240 guys do it, the civics are popular, the VWs, might as well make the mx3 cool too.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

is there any performance benefit whatsoever or is it just for rim choices? :confused2:
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i think it's just for looks, personally i prefer the 5 lug over the 4 lug, but i'm not going to go through all that work just for looks
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

I am not sure in the attached link will work...but will post it up anyway. The link is to a Japanese Presso owners site and has a lot of interesting worklog style reports of changes and upgrades to his car. One of those upgrades is from 4*100 to 5*114 PCD change using parts from the JDM Eunos 500 (same chassis as BA Lantis/Astina/323F or so I understand).

The link uses the Yahoo Babelfish text/page translation service. Not sure if you have to have that product installed to view the page? You could probably pull out the destination page part of the http link and navigate directly to the home page ie
http://www.where-i.net/~yuki/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then navigate your way to brake upgrade page (lots of photos) http://www.where-i.net/~yuki/my_presso/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the translated link is here

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/transla ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

nice link^^^^^

its not about rim choice, its about modifying your car. besides if you get the lantis type r hubs and rotors you are looking at max a hour and a half of work for a 5 lug conversion.

and dont make fun because you think its a useless mod. body kits are a useless mod but nobody seems to mind.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If it can be done for a low price w/o ridic amounts of fabrication, then I'd say go for it - but be warned, things are never as easy as they seem. Although I wouldn't ever do this swap, I understand the idea of just wanting a car to look nice. It's not like he's saying he wants to attach a 2ft wing on the back of his car.
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

the 323/Lantis BA model is very common in the UK, its the V6 model and has the 5stud hubs on it, so u could prolly get the parts shipped from the uk without much hassle.

If you wanted to find out specifics go to http://www.club323f.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, theyre a fairly friendly bunch
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
bbox

Post by bbox »

lol. i just got a set of lexani 17x7.5 chromes with toyo tires off a guy for 250.00. and i thought, "man, im gonna try a lug conversion on my mazda and put them on there." i cant belive no one has realy been into doing this yet! so, i might need to invest in a new camera and put up some shiz when i try this out. :wink:
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bbox wrote:lol. i just got a set of lexani 17x7.5 chromes with toyo tires off a guy for 250.00. and i thought, "man, im gonna try a lug conversion on my mazda and put them on there." i cant belive no one has realy been into doing this yet! so, i might need to invest in a new camera and put up some shiz when i try this out. :wink:
Well the fact remains that we haven't found the right parts over here in us/canada to do the swap. We don't have lantis' and 323s with 5 bolt hubs.

If you find a combo that works let us know
bbox

Post by bbox »

will deff do, solo. im goin to take a wild stab at the probe hub assy being what im going to need, but im currently researching.
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
Dan [Sac]

Post by Dan [Sac] »

Several BG 5-lug conversions have been done using GTX/GT-R hubs on ClubProtege. Since the susp. is the same, it will translate to the MX3 as well but it's as much work as fitting the Probe/MX6 units. It can be done, but it will take some dedication and most people don't care to invest that much time into it.

And the 5x114.3 are quite popular. Honda is what makes the 4x100 king.
'90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
'93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods... 10.24 @ 139.5 mph [20 psi] - 545 whp, 490 wtq @ 21psi
1997 Ford Probe GTS (Hybrid) - RWD Conversion - Build Thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”