Timing The Distributor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ramsen25

Timing The Distributor

Post by ramsen25 »

hey everyone i wanna time my distributor, i got the timing gun does neone know the specs for the ZE ? thanks
wytbishop

Re: Timing The Distributor

Post by wytbishop »

10º BTDC

I can't remember where I read it...but I'm sure I did.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Yea it's 10, make sure the engine's at operating temp. and that you're in diagnostic mode too.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

k kool thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Good luck, you can move that disty all you want and the ECU will just correct it to 10 degs. I've noticed all the cars I've checked just have the disty positioned in the middle so that's where I positioned mine. Any yes I did have TEN and Grd jumped.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I've heard that too, but if I have my TEN and GND jumped I can notice a change in the idle speed and quality if I move the disty around, so I don't know what to think.

I think that moving the disty in diagnostic mode changes the physical ignition timing, because the ECU can only compensate so much, it still depends on where the rotor is positioned at that exact moment.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Daninski wrote:Good luck, you can move that disty all you want and the ECU will just correct it to 10 degs. I've noticed all the cars I've checked just have the disty positioned in the middle so that's where I positioned mine. Any yes I did have TEN and Grd jumped.
???? how does the ECU adjust the timing of the ignition? Last I looked, (my) '92 GS has a coil, distributor, and rotor, but I don't see an electronic ignition.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

OROutdoors wrote:
Daninski wrote:Good luck, you can move that disty all you want and the ECU will just correct it to 10 degs. I've noticed all the cars I've checked just have the disty positioned in the middle so that's where I positioned mine. Any yes I did have TEN and Grd jumped.
???? how does the ECU adjust the timing of the ignition? Last I looked, (my) '92 GS has a coil, distributor, and rotor, but I don't see an electronic ignition.
Well it must, because if TEN and GND are not jumped, you can rotate that disty all you want and nothing happens.

Jumping them enables you to change the timing. It's always good to have it in the right spot and timed well.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i know dan and i have discussed this before but keep in mind he has OBDII. i've found my timing was way off before and adjusted it with timing light on a kl31
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Stupid question but I never have changed the timing on my car except for the belt or the TPS.

Anyway, I have a timing light and everything.

Just dont know how to do it step by step.

Anyone have a link to a quick guide?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Put a paper click between TEN and GND on the diag box.

Hook up your timing light. Loosen the disty just a little so you can turn it. Turn the car on, warm up to operating temp. Look at where the timing is at. Rotate the disty until you hit 10 degrees BTDC. It's marked on the timing cover. You may need to move the coolant pipes out the way to see it.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

...tighten the disty. Then turn the car off. Then pull the paperclip.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

And just in case you don't know, there's a little mark on the lip of the crank pulley. I think it's yellow. That's what you want to use as your reference, when you aim the timing gun at the timing marks on the cover.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Whisper wrote:And just in case you don't know, there's a little mark on the lip of the crank pulley. I think it's yellow. That's what you want to use as your reference, when you aim the timing gun at the timing marks on the cover.
Whisper wrote:And just in case you don't know, there's a little mark on the lip of the crank pulley. I think it's yellow. That's what you want to use as your reference, when you aim the timing gun at the timing marks on the cover.
+ sometimes the paint is gone. you can just use white out to re apply on the little groove
Swaid

Post by Swaid »

what is this ten and grd everyone is talking about?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”