94 B6 DOHC No power and dies randomly

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: 94 B6 DOHC No power and dies randomly

Post by SuperK »

Maybe the return gas lines are clogged? I never heard of a faulty fuel pump pumping too much fuel... is it the standard pump, or did someone put a aftermarket higher flow one on ?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Ill buy it for 500 bucks. LOL
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well, we dropped the exhaust just after the header, so no cats, and still floods out... we are starting to think maybe when the coolant hose exploded it curropted the main engine ground??? We don't know, so we are gonna try some ground cleaning.... still could be the injectors!
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well, tried different injectors and still nothing.... Just doesn't want to start unless i floor it, then it still doesn't start. Then when I take the plugs out they are just soaked with gas.... :(
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

checked cam timing?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

1. check and see if your timing belt skipped a tooth or two/ check your timing using a pin between ur ten and ground i think dont just move your distributor. if your just twisting your distributor that could be messing it up too.
2. you said its turbo? what fuel management are you using? if a fmu maybe ur disc went or something related to that
3. compression test( maybe your oil rings good but your compression ones are shot)
4. leakdown test
5. maybe both ur distributors are starting to fail
6. your lights dimming while you hit the breaks is most likely your alternator
7. firing order on the cap did you maybe mix them up
8. if its none of the above id pull the #1 plug put a rag over the hole nd it crank it till the rag pops out thats close to TDC. grab a extension and socket and turn the crank pulley manually till its at top dead center( use a screwdriver if you have to on top of the piston as a buddy turns the crank pulley. stop it once the screwdriver starts to go back down. thats TDC now put your distributor in properly aligned.
9. if not id take it to a shop but more than likely its one of the above
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

the thing is that it ran, then i turned it off, came out 2 days later and it would just flood out... doesn't make sense to me!
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well id check compression then it must just have low compression then causing it not to start. have you pulled your timing cover on the passenger side off? maybe it had skipped and now broke? have you replaced it recently within 80000kms? id say its either timing or compression if you have spark and fuel. did you check your fuses under the hood drivers side in front of the strut tower? was the car burning oil before this happened? and how much? id just get a compression checker their cheap and least youll find out if you motors still good! a leakdown test could show maybe a intake manifold gasket or something else along this line went! maybe you have weak ignitor and do the external coil mod! what is your fuel management?
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
802mx3

Post by 802mx3 »

have you tried the water temp sensor?
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

802mx3 wrote:have you tried the water temp sensor?
Does anyone know if this could cause it not to start???
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Well, here is some funny info...

Today I decided I was really gonna figure out what the heck is wrong, so I hooked the FPR straight up to the Intake manifold and nothing.... so I redid the distributor, jumpered ten and g/n and tried starting it; nothing. Changed VAFS, nothing. Changed ECU's, nothing..... Then while trying to start it I would floor it and the car would try to start, so then I unplugged the TPS, and then the flooring it wouldn't even work!!! So then I reached to the back seat unplugged the fuel pump, starting cranking, and kinda played with the plug pushing it together, then seperating it untill finally VRROOOOM!!! it started up, and idled at like 2500 cause I had the idle screw out a lot!! Then after a minute, i turned it off, and tried to restart it and nothing...

Isn't anyone else thinking that a clogged FPR could do this???
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Try unplugging the Coolant Temp Sensor. If the sensor is bad I think it will put the engine into shutdown mode. Sounds like you have tried everything else
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I don't think an FPR would do anything really.

Have you tested your fuel pressure? Are you super sure your fuel pump isn't toast?

OH! How bout the fuel pump STRAINER? Oldman had a clogged strainer and his car wouldn't start! You should check your fuel pressure!

Or if you're an idiot, you maybe put your return fuel lines backwards! That'd be funny. I'd laugh at you if you did that.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”