Spyder/ carpart4u Headlights/ OEM comparison *NOW with HID!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Ukrman

Re: Spyder/ carpart4u Headlights/ OEM comparison

Post by Ukrman »

One thing I noticed that the new lights are brighter but the pattern looks much narrower, and I feel like you don't see enough in the periphery. Can you adjust for that?
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I don't know what you mean by that. It lights up about 300° left to right.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

the pictures on ebay made the back look kind of green and old. is that accurate?
any flaws in the workmanship?
is there a hole to release the inevitable moisture (the new mazda 6 has a tiny hole in the headlight)

thanks
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol:
They are Black, and good quality (No swirls in the plastic, seams, or dips/ bulges indicating uneven hardening. I looked carefully, and am very impressed. They are better made than the Civics I have on the other car. I'll look again for a moisture vent. I didn't think to look for that.
My full write-up will be up in a new thread in a few minutes!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Faster!
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

Ukrman wrote:One thing I noticed that the new lights are brighter but the pattern looks much narrower, and I feel like you don't see enough in the periphery. Can you adjust for that?
fowljesse wrote:I don't know what you mean by that. It lights up about 300° left to right.

you can see that especially from pics comparing stock high beams to the new high beams. The beam is much brighter in the projectors, but its very concentrated in the middle and seems like it doesn't disperse much light to the periphery. Like if a deer would be on a side of the road, you wouldn't see it (BTW we have a big deer problem in NJ, too many of them and don't have anywhere to live)
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: Stupid wildlife!
I thought that's what you meant. The peripheral is brighter than stock. I think It didn't show up as well because the camera automatically compensated for the difference in brightness, and exposed the OEM shots longer, allowing the dimmer peripheral light to show up better.
I got an idea (Here we go :roll: ) affix a tiny mirror just in front of the middle of the projector to reflect light 90° to the sides for serious peripheral vision. You could hide the mirror in something shaped like a bullet.
I kinda what to do this, now :?
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

maybe get some dental mirrors lol.... might work :)
92 Mazda MX3 GS

marcdh

Post by marcdh »

fowljesse wrote:I think It didn't show up as well because the camera automatically compensated for the difference in brightness, and exposed the OEM shots longer, allowing the dimmer peripheral light to show up better.
You should use a fixed shutter speed, Fstop and ISO - put it on manual mode :wink:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
v6powered

Post by v6powered »

in my opinion, it would look a lot better like this:
without it looks "spacy"^^
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Drools
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

But it's not like that. So... lmao!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

just need to modify the hood a little.
ray carpart4u

Post by ray carpart4u »

Finally the pictures are up, really thanks Jesse for doing such an awesome job for us. As far as the lighting everything seems pretty clean and bright as well. About the LED, i knew they are using LED bulb 194. And they have a lot of different color of LEDs on the website for a dollar or so each. I get some people that pm'ed me about the GB. And i am going to do it in the correct way since i know you guys have some bad experiences in GB before. I will contact Jeff the admin to confirm and request for a GB. See if i need to pay or register any vendors account with him before posting the GB. Please be patient and that will be up asap. As i said the price is still going to be 198 shipped and 50 dollars on top for the HID kit. Let me set it up first, thanks Jesse for all the work.

-Ray
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

marcdh wrote:
fowljesse wrote:I think It didn't show up as well because the camera automatically compensated for the difference in brightness, and exposed the OEM shots longer, allowing the dimmer peripheral light to show up better.
You should use a fixed shutter speed, Fstop and ISO - put it on manual mode :wink:
I totally agree. If I knew what that meant, or how to do it, I totally would :lol:
We have a Canon EOS RebelXti 40D SLR Digital. I thought she knew more about it.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”