readily available supercharger kits for klze

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
wytbishop

Re: readily available supercharger kits for klze

Post by wytbishop »

I don't think this thread is lame. What else are we going to talk about? You expect me to actually work all day???
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Whats work?
Id love to find a kl locally for cheap to see if i could retrofit a roots style blower
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

A little Eaton S/C from a Thunder Bird Super Coupe or a Grand Prix GTP on a Kustom intake would be kool. If only I had a milling Machine! :lol:

Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Or a classic Weiand, (no mega squirt required) just a big old Holley Carb stickin' through the hood! :welder:
http://www.holley.com/data/products/pic ... 0928-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

IMACHU2 wrote:A little Eaton S/C from a Thunder Bird Super Coupe or a Grand Prix GTP on a Kustom intake would be kool. If only I had a milling Machine! :lol:

Its a snouted Eaton m90 charger. There are a ton of applications that these are used in. Reliability on these are excellent, you can go at least 100,000 miles before a rebuild which is not that expensive.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

IMACHU2 wrote:Or a classic Weiand, (no mega squirt required) just a big old Holley Carb stickin' through the hood! :welder:
http://www.holley.com/data/products/pic ... 0928-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol:
I don't know if they make carbs small enough.
Maybe dual quad 750cfm double pumpers?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

IMACHU2 wrote:A little Eaton S/C from a Thunder Bird Super Coupe or a Grand Prix GTP on a Kustom intake would be kool. If only I had a milling Machine! :lol:

Who needs a milling machine?
You might be able to get away with using the stock runners and just building your own plenum underneath the SC.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

fowljesse wrote:
IMACHU2 wrote:Or a classic Weiand, (no mega squirt required) just a big old Holley Carb stickin' through the hood! :welder:
HEHE!

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BDS Blower Quote:
The size of carb(s) or CFM required for a given application can be calculated by the following formula A: {(CID x RPM) ÷ 3456} x {Boost ÷ 14.7) + 1} = CFM required. The amount of CFM required will determine carburetor size and quantity. If you try to use a carb with less CFM than required, performance and economy may be greatly reduced. Bigger is not always better when selecting carbs that are 30% over what is required, you may encounter problems in fuel distribution.

My guesstament (without doing all the math) around a 300-350CFM Carb for a 2.5L (153 C.I.D)
Old School Weiand Roots type blower on a MX-6 engine??
Myth: Plausible!! :lol: Did the Math see below \/
Last edited by IMACHU2 on December 18th, 2008, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

IMACHU2 wrote:
fowljesse wrote:
HEHE!

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BDS Blower Quote:
The size of carb(s) or CFM required for a given application can be calculated by the following formula A: {(CID x RPM) ÷ 3456} x {Boost ÷ 14.7) + 1} = CFM required. The amount of CFM required will determine carburetor size and quantity. If you try to use a carb with less CFM than required, performance and economy may be greatly reduced. Bigger is not always better when selecting carbs that are 30% over what is required, you may encounter problems in fuel distribution.

1.8L (110 C.I.D)
110 C.I.D x 7000RPM ÷ 3456 = 222.80
x Boost (5PSI) ÷ 14.7 +1 = 1.34
222.80 x 1.34 = 298 CFM
(300 CFM is a common 2BBl carb Size $20 adapter to Weind blower).

2.5L (153 C.I.D) ÷ 3456 = 309.90
x Boost (5PSI) ÷ 14.7 + 1 = 1.34
309.90 x 1.34 = 415.26
(You can get a 390 CFM Holley 4 barrel which will bolt directly to a Weind blower)

Old School Weiand Roots type blower on a MX-3 or MX-6 engine??
Myth: Plausible!! :lol:
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

im studying mech eng at uni and im in the motorsports team - we have milling machines available to us! :) it would be good to get a few design parts all i need to do is throw it into a cad program and cut it out.
simple!!
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

do it bro. im in brissy, i got a couple eaton m62s pulled from c180's
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

The aftermarket likely never put a roots on an MX-3 due to hood clearance. No reason why you could not build a lower intake manafold to fit a Super Coupe / GTP Eaton on it. Just need a power buldge on the hood, or let it all hang out. :lol: Having driven a S/C and a GTP, not sure a little light car with that much low-end thrust would be too usefull, would do a really nice smoke show though! I like the remote Turbo idea better since the available underhood real estate is at a real premium.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Our cars don't need low end grunt (like stated above) we need more on the top end. Being FWD means we can't launch like AWD for RWD can...so more low end = more spinning tires. If we tune to get power AFTER we've started moving already, then we will be more successful. K series have a short stroke and are not meant for low rpms as much as they are designed for midrange to higher rpms.

I agree, turbos are more useful for a ZE Mx3, or if a charger can be mated for minimal cost, it should only be specced to give power on the mid-top end. If I can peel out easily enough with a N/A ZE, why would I want to make that become a problem?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Our cars don't need low end grunt (like stated above) we need more on the top end. Being FWD means we can't launch like AWD for RWD can...so more low end = more spinning tires. If we tune to get power AFTER we've started moving already, then we will be more successful. K series have a short stroke and are not meant for low rpms as much as they are designed for midrange to higher rpms.

I agree, turbos are more useful for a ZE Mx3, or if a charger can be mated for minimal cost, it should only be specced to give power on the mid-top end. If I can peel out easily enough with a N/A ZE, why would I want to make that become a problem?
Yes and no. You do have it right, you don't want to make traction and wheelspin an issue. However, when it comes to turbo's, to get high-power, you do have to start lowering the compression, and also turbo cams and such start to affect the N/A power of the motor. Mind you, with an S/C, you don't have to worry about the cam issue (you can however get S/C grinds for cams). With a turbo, it would be good to get and design a turbo system to help compensate for that lack of N/A power. I'm sure you've heard the term dyno-queen. Usually cars where they're setup to make huge power, and solely rely on the turbo for that power, and it's such a large turbo, and low end just sucks.

A S/C setup gives a much more linear, N/A-like power output. It does take power to make power, but in racing where you're off and on the throttle, you don't need to wait for it to spool back up.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Forced Induction”