readily available supercharger kits for klze

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
melb30x

readily available supercharger kits for klze

Post by melb30x »

just wondering..i hear a lot of talk about turbos..but im not a big fan. are there superchargers readily available that are also reliable and give a reasonable power output?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: readily available supercharger kits for klze

Post by fowljesse »

There was a group buy on Probetalk a while back. you could ask over there if anyone still has one. There was a problem, though. There isn't enough space for the SC to run on the belts, so they made a transfer shaft, which made the whole thing less precise, and the shaft bearings were wearing out. I've seen a couple of setups where a Vortec was put in the place of the A/C pulley, with a bit if cutting to make room.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

i see...hence the more practical turbo option..i hate turbos with their lag..
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. I wish there was room to cut the top off the IM, leaving the runners, so you could put a supercharger onto it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm wondering tho...why would you need the runners? I was at the wreckers today and saw a torn down Millenia S, and even my Xterra is supercharged. The Supercharger on the Xterra just sits on the heads as far as I can tell. On the Millenia S, i'm not too sure, but since it's a 90* V6, the S/C sits in the middle, but the output is on top of the S/C, I dont know how the IM goes, but it seems like it would be short, just enough to get form the S/C to the heads.

Runner's and their length affects the powerband of the vehicle, and that's what the VRIS solenoids are for, but since the supercharger can create boost at such low rpms, it could render the need for the VRIS absolete.

It would be neat to tuck a supercharger on top in between the heads....it's possible it would barely stick out higher than the IM, but what would make things complex is the fuel rails need to be there too.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Hmm...I tend to agree with what Nd4spdSE is saying with this...IM runners arent necessary for a supercharged engine...however they will help quite a bit for upper RPMS. The best setup wit this would be a super/turbo setup...supoer for lower RPMS then turbo for the upper band with a long plenum. Just a thought.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Custom hood to fit supercharger.... Personally I love the power bulges... If they're real. It could stick out 6" and I'd still love it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

How would the air get to the heads without runners :?: :lol: You would need at least an inch of the runners to mate to the S/C, unless the ports miraculously matched up.
I think it would be awesome to have a blower sticking out of the hood sideways with a scoop on it, but I'm an aold school Hotrodder :shrug: It wouldn't stick out far.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To go without any IM at all you would need a SC which was made to mate to the K engine heads. Probably possible. I don't know alot about SC's but I'm guessing that there is some sort of mounting plate which is interchangeable. Otherwise each application would require a completely separate housing...not practical from a manufacturing point of view.

But I still think that a cetrifugal unit mounted at the front of the car would be most practical. The rad support would have to be modified and a custom bracket would need to be built, but if a gut could do that, it would be a fairly easy install from there.

There's another Million Dollar Idea for the pile. Custom SC bracket and rad support for the MX-3.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^And a fusion powered mx3.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I had a brainstorm just now.

If you eliminated the distributor you could drive a SC off the camshaft. Most of the cetrifugal units are not direct driven anyway so you just gear it a little taller to get the required RPM. There's more space over there and you're using some sort of engine management anyway so it's not too big a deal to go to coil packs.

Just putting it out there.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Now, that's the way Fowljesse thinks :wink: The brain is always storming, or at least foggy. If the disty gear and/ or shaft is strong enough, that would be cool... It would put more pressure on the cam bearings, too.. You could run your spark with MSnS, which you'd need in there for the fuel map, anyway.

What I was saying about putting it on top is: You'd need the flange, and an inch of runners, so you could fab runners between them and the bottom of the S/C. I'm thinking of the screw type, like the dragsters use. You'd have a pulley run by the serpentine belt, driving the S/C.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

By the way, there's a nice sounding S/C group buy on ProbeTalk. If I had the money, I'd buy it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote:How would the air get to the heads without runners :?: :lol: You would need at least an inch of the runners to mate to the S/C, unless the ports miraculously matched up.
Well it would neato have the runners become the plate

Here's what the Millenia S supercharger looks like. It's mounted between the heads in this orientation:

I can't find a pic of the Xterra supercharger, but unlike the Millenia S, it doesn't use nor require an intercooler, and it doesn't require an external lubrication or cooling system, and designed to me mounted right to the heads.

The screw type is knowm as a Roots-type supercharger
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

fowljesse wrote: You could run your spark with MSnS, which you'd need in there for the fuel map, anyway.
Zachary
fowljesse wrote: What I was saying about putting it on top is: You'd need the flange, and an inch of runners, so you could fab runners between them and the bottom of the S/C. I'm thinking of the screw type, like the dragsters use. You'd have a pulley run by the serpentine belt, driving the S/C.
I don't think you could find a twin screw blower on the market that would fit our application. Shape, length, height...it's too much to hope for. But Centrifugal SC's are small enough to be mounted off the distributor location. The bracket would be something special though. You couldn't just hammer it out. It would require some stout engineering.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Forced Induction”